thattommyguy
Hey everyone. Me and my girlfriend lost our dearly loved beagle Lucy last night at about 5:30 pm CST. We are both devastated but, I feel like I need to stay strong and help her get through her emotions because she was her dog for 6 years and and she was only mine for about one.I don't want to sound selfish but how do I handle my own loss AND help her at the same time. Help! Thanks to all who answer.
Quote 0 0
jaschutz
I am so sorry for your loss. I know how hard it can be. I am in a similar situation. I lost my dog of 8 years about 6 weeks ago and my fiancé loved her as well but only knew her for the last 3 years of her life. It is hard to know the right way to grieve the loss of a pet while still trying to help your significant other through their hard time. From my personal experience, it feels better to grieve a loss when you have others grieving there with you. I know my fiancé tried to be strong for me but sometimes it felt like I was grieving for London all by myself and everyone else was okay with her being gone. I never expected my fiancé to be "strong" and not show his emotions from losing London. It made me feel better knowing that he misses her as much as I miss her. But you also have to understand that your girlfriend might feel the grief more deeply since she was there with Lucy for 6 years. That doesn't mean that your grief is any less important though. I think that the best thing you can do for someone who is grieving is to just hold their hand and sit silently with them while they grieve. Because there are no words that will take away the pain of losing a best friend. 
Jamie

You can visit London's memorial at:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/LONDO001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
Dogfatherbud
Thattommyguy, it's ok to grieve man. If you're both sad at the same time, just hug one another and let it go. It will be good for you both, and being strong does have it's place in life, amongst the living, at the veterinary office, and during the downward slope...but you both experienced the loss, and it really doesn't matter who feels worse. Its just that you both support each other. God bless you man. You're a good guy
Broken hearted but gifted with the best 9 years of my life...thanks to God and my "Bud"
Quote 0 0
Leahbeahis
I'm so sorry you lost your Lucy. My advice would be to go through it together as much as possible. Some days you will feel stronger and on those days you can be the supportive person, and on the days when your girlfriend feels stronger, she can be the supportive person while you grieve. If you're both having a rough day, just try to take it one moment at a time and embrace your feelings. This isn't an easy journey but it is necessary for healing to begin. When my husband shares his feelings about the loss of our Lucy with me, I feel more supported than ever, so don't think that you're not being supportive just because you aren't "strong" all of the time. Peace to you and your girlfriend. You found the right place.

~ Leah
Quote 0 0
CarerQuie
So sorry for your loss. I think it's best for you both to share in it together. Acknowledge your feelings and share your memories. Your love for each other and for Lucy will see you through.x
Quote 0 0
thattommyguy
Thanks very much everyone, I am glad I came here. I will take all of your advice and keep everyone posted the best I can. I have been though this before (even if it was as a kid) but this is the first time I've had to be supportive of someone else too.
Quote 0 0