nat1172

We loss our dog Leo to lung cancer, I feel like I am lost and I dont know what to do, how long is it good grieve? Do I get another one in honor of him , We found out 2 wks ago and he passed a week and a day later, He was my shadow and was always with me I dont know what to do . We have 3 children and they also miss him, does anyone have any ideas???

Quote 0 0
erica212
nat1172,
I am so sorry to hear of your loss. It is never easy to deal with a loss of our beloved animals. We lost our beloved Thunder a month ago, and I still grieve. You can't put a time table on your grief. You can only give yourself time to heal. Keep coming back here and write when and if it helps you to heal.
I don't know about others, but I can't even think about getting another dog, maybe in the way distant future, but not now. That is just me thought. Others take comfort in getting another animal quickly after a sudden loss, so I would say only you can answer that question.

Again, so sorry for your loss,
Erica
Quote 0 0
always_tuffy
Nat1172,
My greatest sympathy to you on the loss of your shadow, Leo. I lost my shadow, best friend, baby dog, Tuffy 4 mos ago. He was 5 yrs old. He & I were joined at the hip. I stay home and care for my husband, so Tuffy & I were like you & Leo, together 24/7.
You ask how long is it good to grieve.  Well, my friend it simply takes as long as it takes.  There is absolutely no set time for grief.  And each of us is different in how we handle emotions.  Depth & length also depend on the relationship you had with Leo (it sounds close), how long you were together and/or if you helped each other thru trying times.  I read that his loss was unexpected and sudden.  That in itself makes it really, really hard.
That is from my own experience w/Tuffy.  He was sick one week. Died 7 days after first symptoms, from kidney failure.  Had him to vet many times during week.  He said would be OK. Took him back on 7/26/10. Vet said would keep him overnite. I returned home 20 minutes later and Tuffy had passed. It was beyond unbelievable and horrible.
I am not wanting to bring you down w/my story. Just want to give you background, so you will know I truly, truly understand your despair.  I still long for Tuffy everyday.  It is a different pain now, but still a huge hole in my life.  You must let the grieving come, you must experience the pain and loss in order to heal, to begin to get better.  You are still in shock, it is the first of several stages of grief.  When you feel like it, please visit the website, http://www.recover-from-grief.com  It covers so many subjects such as, should I get another pet, types of death & grieving, how long will it (grief) last, coping strategies for your grieving heart.
I believe you would find answers and comfort.  Lastly let me say to you, You are not supposed to forget Leo, ever.  He was part of you and a huge part of your life.  Healing does not mean forgetting.  Just as we continue to remember human loved ones, so should it be with Leo.
Please write hear again. I care and would like to hear from you.
Sympathy & Peace to You
Death leaves a heartache no one can heal;
Love leaves a memory no one can steal.

Tuffy, My Puppy Love
June 20, 2005-July 26, 2010

Becky Leigh, Queen of my Heart
December 2010-November 10, 2015
Quote 0 0