Jojococomo
I just found this forum and I’m so glad that I did.

My precious Smiley passed away 3/2/18 at the age of 15. She developed IHMA which means her bones quit making red blood cells and she was exhausted.

It was a choice between blood transfusions and immunosuppressive drugs with a maybe it will work attached to the end or to let her go.

Smiley came home for the rest of the afternoon and I held her in my recliner like old times. I don’t know if she was ready to go but for that matter are any of us “ready” to go, probably not. It became apparent that evening that she was suffering and my taking her home had not done her any favors. I felt selfish for holding on so long but I just couldn’t say goodbye and breathe at the same time.

So at 9pm I took her to the 24 hour vet and held her while they did what had to be done. When she was gone I became hysterical and had to leave immediately. I feel like a coward in that sense but I did make it to the finish line of this world with precious Smiley and for that I’m grateful.

Saying goodbye to our pets is the hardest part of having our beloved pets
Jodi
Quote 0 0
peachesdad
Three months ago tomorrow the love of my life, Peaches, passed away in my arms from congested heart disease. She was in the final stage after fighting it for ten months. It was the hardest thing in my life to watch the last breath leave her body. I have her ashes in my room and talk to her everyday. I tell her we'll be together again someday and to be a good little girl till I get there.

Yes, it is hard, very hard to lose our little loved ones. They fill so much of our lives with unconditional love. 

Hang in there Jodi. Remember all the good times and know Smiley isn't suffering any more. I'll tell Peaches to look out for her and to have fun. 
tim
Quote 0 0
PJRN007
I'm with you, Jodi.  So sorry for your loss.  I continue to struggle since my boy died and talking with others who have lost has been a tremendous help.  God bless.
Quote 0 0
camunki
I am so sorry about your Smiley and the IMHA....same thing happened with My Jemma back in Oct 2016..she stopped eating one day, which is normal for her she has a sensitive stomach, but the next day the back of her legs just gave out, we rushed her to the vet and they said she needed a blood bank for a transfusion......ended up bringing her to the 24 hour vet and the 1st transfusion went well, i had high hopes, but the next day the 2nd transfusion did not go well and within a matter of 5 days from beginning to end she was put to rest. The IMHA is one of the worst things a dog can get, to this day Vets still have a hard time dealing with this illness as it is so offset and chances of survival are not good.

I am glad you had 15 years with your baby and leaving immediately after she was sent to the Bridge...is ok, i have done this too in the past with my other babies who left my world, sometimes we go into shock and just want to leave and that is ok.

My heart goes out to you at this time, especially for the sudden onset of this IMHA with your Smiley.

Cam

Quote 0 0
Jojococomo
Thank you all for the kind words and support. I still just go day to day in dealing with living without Smiley. I feel like she is now my guardian angel and watching out for me. Smiley can never be replaced but I do think I need another emotional support dog and will get one at the end of May 2018 so I do look forward to this.

Sincerely,
Jodi
Jodi
Quote 0 0
Boomboom
Sorry for your loss JoJo. I struggle w the fact that my boy wanted to go home from the vet like many many x before, & this I time didn't get him outa there. The vet was pretty adament that he was in pain though I wasn't so sure. I mean I know he had aches & pains but notlike chronic pain like they made me think. & it was only a matter of time anyways. They said I could take him home w meds but was no guarantee he wouldn't be hurting. Part of me wishes I could have took him back home & laid w him for a few wks more maybe it even just one more night like you did I wasn't so sure he was ready to go just yet.. I'm trying to convince myself that I saved him from future suffering. I also was there with him til his last breath & when he was gone I laid w him a few min & kissed him goodbye. I hated leaving him there, he was supposed to leave w me. Not sure if any if this makes sense cus im just rambling & scrambling my brain cus today hasn't been a good one. Its been filled w a lot of "what ifs".
Quote 0 0