Mcd212
Hi everyone, i put my kitty Lola down 12 days ago, and am feeling terribly sad, lonely, and guilty. She was with me for 13 yrs and has been my main companion. I'm having a hard time accepting that it even happened and wonder how long the emotional pain will last. It was such a difficult decision and although she was able to pass peacefully, it still hurts to think about. Does anyone have any advice about how to move through the guilt and grief? Thanks for reading.
Quote 0 0
Rookiesmama
Missy,
I am so sorry for the loss of Lola. Please be gentle with yourself, 12 days is such a short amount of time....I know it feels like forever though. For the first 2-3 weeks after my Rookie passed, I couldn't eat and didn't really sleep more than an hour at a time. You had Lola for 13 years; her life was intertwined with yours. It's such a shock when that is gone. New routines need to be made; it's a whole new way of living. It's a huge adjustment. My Rookie crossed the Rainbow Bridge 7 weeks ago and sometimes I still can't believe it. The pain is still there, and I know it always will be.... i'm just handling it (somewhat) better now. I will keep you and Lola in my thoughts. ❤
Quote 0 0
MAlcindor
So sorry you lost your kitty Lola. It is so sad when our little babies die, there is no right or wrong way to go through the grief. The guilt is a normal phase of the grieving process, especially if you were tasked with making the decision. Please know you did what Lola needed you to do which was help her transition to her new life. The pain will dull in time and memories of your lovely Lola will bring you smiles to your face and heart. I’ll keep you in my prayers tonight.
Quote 0 0
Mcd212
Thank you both for your kind words--it was so helpful to read and to know that what I feel is normal. I'm so sorry to hear about your babies passing over..it does give me comfort to imagine them all in a better place living happily and peacefully. I guess the pain is this intense bc I loved Lola so much, just like everyone on this forum loved their fur babies. It's nice to know that such love exists. Keeping you all in my thoughts.
Quote 0 0
rascal
skittles
michelle hansen
Quote 0 0
rascal
so sorry about Lola, is so heartbreaking when we lose our fur babys that we love so much............my kitty Skittles was 14, a little calico girl...had her since she was a kitten....she had so much energy and such a cute personality.........7 months ago she got really sick, they couldnt do anything for her, but i couldnt put her down that day, my boyfriend was out of town and he loved her dearly, so i couldnt make a quick decision...i tooke her home nursed her with lots of good food, and her 2 different medicines.....she got so much better almost like her old self, getting up on high places, etc...then a few days ago, i noticed she wasnt feeling well when she refused her pills in a pill pocket, then refused her food too, little did i know that would be the last time i would ever see her, she has not been home, we think she went off to die, i guess thats what cats do when they are done living...we have looked everywhere for her, that was tuesday i saw her last, now its been too long with out her meds , food and water....i could tell she was declining, but i didnt know that was it....im so, so heartbroken and devastated, miss her so much, we have searched for her everywhere,,,,,,,,i have never had a cat just go off and die, i cant sleep, eat or think about anything
michelle hansen
Quote 0 0
Mcd212
I am so sorry about skittles. it is so hard when the closure is lacking. I actually had a cat names littles when i was younger and he did the same thing when he got old--one time he just never came home. It is normal to feel devastated, especially after being bonded for so many years. You have done everything you can and im sure skittles was comforted so much by your care. A lot of times it is normal for animals to go off and hide until they pass. With time you will feel better, the pain gets a little less, although i still think about lola all day every day. Something that has helped me is remembering that i did everything out of love for lola and i believe she felt that. Im sure skittles did too. I will keep you in my thoughts ❤️
Quote 0 0