deedee76
my beautiful dog passed away last Friday he had been sick for a couple of weeks and had been to the vets which had diagnosed bronchitis he was on steroids and antibiotics.  Last week he had vomited a few times and I was concerned and brought him to the vet on Thursday who told me he had an infection more antibiotics nothing to worry about.  On Friday morning he was so much worse lethargic and just not himself I had to go to work so I told him when I was leaving that I loved him he was the best dog in the world and gave him a kiss and a cuddle.   I rang the vets as soon as it opened and explained the situation and she said to bring him in so as I was at work someone did this for me.  my poor dog got sick at the vets while in their care and inhaled the sick into his lungs and died. I feel so guilty he was on his own did he think I abandoned him was he scared I just feel sick to my stomach was there anything else I could have done for him.  

Dee

Quote 0 0
jerigraehl
I am so sorry. I had a similar experience last Sun and lost my soul mate Khaomanee. My heart is broken too.  He got suddenly very sick and I am blaming myself for not doing things diferently. I thought he was getting better and I failed to check his glucose. He had had a bad reaction to the insuline they gave me so I foolishly assumed he was just insuline resistant and he had responded so well to taking him off dry food and putting him on a glucose prescription diet. He looked and felt better than he had in a long time and then got pancreatitis and his blood work had a few other scary indicators. He got sick Friday and by the time I saw him it was evening and the vets were closed. By dawn sat I went on the internet and found a emergency clinic. They were very understaffed and put him behind a bunch of other pets, I took them 5 hours for a 10 minute iv hydration. I had a fit and tho they recommended he be hospitalized pending his pancreatitis test I opted to go home with iv fluids that I could make sure he actually got, and took him back at dawn again. He was so sick and in pain all night so in the morning when I took him back (sunday) they said he needed to stay there to see if they could save him. I had no trust in them and was afraid he would die without me. I consulted with 3 vets who all said he was critical so as horribly painful as it was I chose to go thru the horror and trauma of euthanasia. I had a half hour to sit with him wrapped in a blanket in my arms and kiss him and tell him how much I loved him. My heart literally during and after. And I questioned myself and just wanted him back. He was 15 though. I don't know how old your dog was. So many things enter into how we feel. You did truely do the best your could. I lost my dog at age 7 at the vets and it has always hurt to know I was not there. I had tried to visit him earlier and they would not let me which made me very suspicious. You question everything with this loss I know. Nothing helps. It just comes in waves of so many emotions all covered under the term 'grief'. I can hardly function. We are both in the acute stages of grief. You did the exact instructions your vet gave you. Unlike me who chose to believe due to his reaction to the insuline and how little the overbooked vet had explained had his initial diagnoses I did not check the insuline. She had told me they go into remission very often but it is my fault for not checking. So I have horrible guilt. I wonder if your dog got something secondary to the bronchitis to make him vomit? So much can happen when one illness leads to another. Khaomanee had asthma the last 8 years requiring meds two times per day - that can make controling diabetes harder. I guess the bottom line is that this is all part of the bargain we make when we chose to adopt  a pet that we fall in love with and are responsible for. At the end no matter how it happens the pain is truely horrible. I will be thinking of you and sending you good energy. I am so sorry. Also you did get to tell your dog how much you loved him that day - and I am sure every day. He knows that. None of this is your fault. Jeri
jerigraehl
Quote 0 0
deedee76
Jeri

thank you so much for your kind words I am so sorry for you loss too my dog had just turned 6 I feel cheated out of another at least 4 years with him.   His name was Koby.   I am upset with myself that I didn't question the vet last Thursday when I brought him but Koby did seem in good spirits that day just off his food so as the vet wasn't concerned  I then wasn't too concerned and almost relieved when the vet said its just an infection nothing serious.    I am so angry with the vet I found him a bit dismissive that day as I had been a few times at that stage with Koby what I wouldn't give to go back to that day.   I feel your pain and all I can say to you is you did your very best for Khaomanee and loved him very much he was very lucky to have you.   I know nothing I can say to you will ease the pain as I'm going through it myself.  I am so lost I don't want to be in work and when I'm at home I don't want to be there either.   We have a big back garden and when my sister passed away some years back we planted a tree down the back I buried Koby under the tree and I can see him from my bedroom window.   I have ordered a memorial plaque and I might get some fairy lights for the tree... Thank you for reaching out to me in your own time of pain I got great comfort from your reply.   As the saying goes grief is the price we pay for love....  

Dee

Quote 0 0