brknhrtd
It was October 1st last year that I lost my 11 1/2 year old German Shepherd.  (I adopted Tracy when she was 9---I was her retirement home.)  She died from bloat.  No way did I ever think that a year later my 6 1/2 year old, Kodiak, would be so sick.  It started as a UTI.  He was responding well to the antibiotics.  However he has had a noticeable weight loss in a month and needed to find out why.  He was diagnosed with bladder cancer.  Ever since he has been diagnosed, he is not the same.  He does not seem in distress but doesn't want to eat.  I come home from work and make something for him only to have to make something else.  Each day he is becoming less interested in food.  I come home and lay next to him and pet him.  He is so soft and warm.  He loves his car rides so we do those at night.  It perks him up.  He sleeps on the floor, next to my bed.  I watch him sleep and pet him often.  It hurts so bad that I hope it is a mistake and he will get better.  He is my big "boy doggie" and I miss his strong, intimidating, bark.  (It used to drive me nuts.)  Yep, it hurts so bad, again.

bookends.jpg 
Kodiak and Tracy---my bookends.
Quote 0 0
MurphysMom_0831
I'm so sorry about Tracy and now Kodiak. Their photo is just beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.

Has your vet indicated why Kodiak's not eating? Have they tried any appetite stimulants and/or pain medication? Is he on any medication that diminishes appetite or affects his taste or sense of smell? I'm glad he still enjoys rides in the car. That seems encouraging. Watching them sleep and breathe is comforting, isn't it?

It's so unfair when our babies get sick and we can't fix everything. Keep us posted as to his progress. I wish you the best of luck.

Blessings,
Murphy's Mom (Kathryn)
"Sometimes there is a dog who is so special, he is able to wrap himself so completely around your heart it is impossible to tell where you begin and he ends."  For My Beloved Murphy, 08/31/2004 - 06/18/2014

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/MURPH121/Resident.htm

http://s327.photobucket.com/user/kathrynbrown1626/library/?sort=6&page=1
Quote 0 0
Katel
I am so sorry to hear this.  It is so hard for you. I do understand.   4 months ago I lost my precious dog and now my other one Danny has been diagnosed with inoperable cancer.   I understand the helplessness you feel.   Although my Danny is still interested in things i am very conscious that once he starts to fail it will mean he's suffering and I will have to make that hateful journey to the vet. I just panic at the thought of it.

I am so glad it perks Kodiak up on the car rides and that you can spend precious time just
petting him and loving him.
My vet told me two months ago that Danny only had about 3 weeks to live but he is still
here.   I do hope you get to spend a lot more time with your dear one..
Blessings,

Kate 
Quote 0 0