CaraMia
My Rusty was just diagnosed with heart failure and is on Lasix to keep fluid out of his lungs and Tussigon to prevent coughing. It's going to be a rough road ahead for us, but I'm determined to fight for him as long as he's happy and out of pain. Such a beautiful boy, it hurts me like crazy to deal with this.

If anyone can share ways they helped their furbabies  stay calm and comfortable with heart disease, please share with me.

Cara
Cara
Quote 0 0
P_Mom
Hi Caramia, I'm sorry to learn your Rusty is going through this. It's so hard when you get a tough diagnosis on a major organ and body system. 

My boy Patch had heart disease and at 13 was diagnosed with a grade 5/6 heart murmur and weak left mitral valve. We did see a Cardiologist who treated him. I'm unsure where Rusty is on the scale (assuming they said CHF) and not to give false hope, but they can live for quite some time if managed and in the earlier stages. Ultimately Patch went on Vetmedin 2x per day for 16 months and it truly helped. Prior to the medication he would collapse (almost pass out) upon excitement and hack with warm weather/humidity.  Neither happened after he was on the meds. I monitored his breathing (breaths per minute) as I was always concerned he'd go into stage 3 or 4 (can happen literally overnight) but sadly I lost him in February at 15 to kidney disease.  

I gave him CO Q10 (for dogs not humans) and changed the time we'd walk during day (low humidity) so it was easier for him. Keep the house cool in summer and warm in winter. I placed a sign in my yard 'no soliciting' so random people wouldn't knock on door and gave Amazon instructions to leave packages at garage and not front door so he wouldn't go nuts barking. Bought doggy stairs for couch and bed, tried  restricting his jumping, over excitement etc for his heart. Even small modifications can make it easier for them. 

Wishing you and Rusty the best and should you have any more questions, happy to help if I can. ❤
Jennifer
Quote 0 0
CaraMia
Thank you so much. He has an echo on Tuesday, so I will know more soon. I read about vetmedin, and I hope he has a good option like that. It's so hard, and I'd love having 16 more months. I am corresponding with the vets about supplements, I'll ask about co-Q10.
Cara
Quote 0 0
P_Mom
Paws crossed.  Once you find out more/ where he is on the scale, keep us posted. While no cure, hoping it's something that can be managed.  â¤

Another easy and yummy supplement I gave is fish oil - the omega 3's are good for heart health, inflammation, etc. They don't get enough omega 3's in dog food. Some are poor quality and tainted with poor ingredients but a good quality fish oil I find is very helpful in both my boys health. I use Nordic Naturals for small dogs. (Krill oil is another option but is shellfish based so just need to watch for allergies) 
Jennifer
Quote 0 0
CaraMia
Thanks. Vet's recommending a cardiac diet for him which has taurine, carnitine and fish oil. I'm going to order Nordic Naturals. I pray for a miracle that some of this was dietary.
Cara
Quote 1 0
P_Mom
I get the liquid in the glass bottle with eye dropper and place directly on food or in bowl after they eat and lick it right up.  My Patch was very picky - meds were always a struggle so I didn't get the gel caps.  Was pleased and surprised he liked the oil. Was also shocked he took the Vetmedin. It must not taste bad. 
Jennifer
Quote 0 0
nacronig

I lost my Willie to hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and a congenital mitral valve defect at five years old. It’s very hard to deal with a cardiac diagnosis at any age. 

He was on many meds. His lungs were tapped several times. Love your baby with all your heart every day. Make sure he knows you love him. I still have a hard time four years later. Did I do enough, I ask myself? 

i have accepted that I did. Your Rusty doesn’t sound as sick as my baby was. I had to carry him upstairs. He was in an oxygen cage at the ER every few days. It was harder on me than him having to give four meds several times a day  

Be strong and enjoy every day  

Quote 0 0
CaraMia
Thanks for the encouragement Nacronig. I can barely leave him alone to water the plants.I pet him and massage his ears and legs (looking for edema) and  listen to his chest for fluid. I'm scared. Haveng had other little pommies does not make it easier and knowing that I will come to love another doesn't help either. Makes me feel a little guilty.  It hurts. I work very hard at not crying.

"I get the liquid in the glass bottle with eye dropper and place directly on food or in bowl after they eat and lick it right up.  My Patch was very picky - meds were always a struggle so I didn't get the gel caps.  Was pleased and surprised he liked the oil. Was also shocked he took the Vetmedin. It must not taste bad. "

I really hope he can get vetmedin, it sounds like it's will give him more life and longer lifetime. 

Thanks to both of you for the feedback and words of encouragement.
Cara
Quote 0 0
Shy
Unfortunately for me.... My precious one passed away suddenly from heart failure and nobody saw it coming. She was 8. It's been more than a month now and I am trying my best to reach out as far as possible.
I'll just say that monitor him and check on some symptoms. 
My dog coughed up blood and then died on the same evening. 
I hope your precious one gets healed soon. 
More love and power to you and everyone.... 
Shyla12
Quote 0 0
CaraMia
I'm sorry for your loss. My Rusty is struggling with the medications but I monitor him closely. I'm a retired health care worker so I listen to his chest often, and have been researching the topic as well. I know that eventually it's a battle that we can't win, but I'm going to give him every chance I can. One of the hard parts is not knowing his true age as he's a rescue. He could be 11 or he could be 14, either way I am in frequent communication with our vet. Sometimes he's like himself, ad sometimes he's tired and sad. I hate the thought of losing him, but with love comes loss. I wish they lived as long as parrots, sometimes. I love him so.
Cara
Quote 0 0