Twocats2love
April 2010 we finally got our kittens! My husband and I were so excited. The December prior, we had to put down our 16 year old cat, Nike. Nike was my husbands cats when we got married. I wanted my own cat, so we got two! They were tuxedo brothers. We named then Yin and Yang. Yang is the bigger of the two. Fluffier you might say. He is the loveable, cuddly one. Yin was the livelier cat, but also shy. Yin took to me and I to him. He was my baby. He followed me everywhere and talked while doing so.

Fast forward 7 years.

It was Thursday, February 8, 2018. I woke up and they were at the bottom of my bed. They both followed me into the bathroom, where Yang laid in the sink, and Yin sat on my bathrobe sitting on the toilet seat. I showered and opened the curtain and they both talked to me. Yang had his drink of water. Yin followed me into my bedroom, where he sits on my bed while I put my makeup on. He put his head in my bags and looked for elastics. Then he left, as usual. A short time later I heard a thud. I assumed they were playing, so I yelled out ‘BOYS!’ and finished getting ready. Approximately 10 minutes later I grabbed my sweater and headed to the kitchen to make my coffee. I turned the corner and saw Yin lying on the floor with his tongue out. I knew he was dead, right then and there. He never would be lying down. I starting yelling ‘Yin, Yinny, what’s the matter. Yin, wake up, what’s the matter.’ I knelt down and started moving him and he was flaccid. I rubbed his chest, thinking that was how you do CPR. I jumped up, ran to the bedroom, flung open the door and yelled to my sleeping husband, ‘Rob, wake up, Yin is dead’. I ran back to Yin and picked him up. I opened his mouth and gave him a breath. I heard something. The I realized it was just the spit in his mouth I heard. I was crying and calling his name, begging him to come back to me.

I don’t know what happened. I never took him to the vet to find out. Money is very tight and it wouldn’t bring him back. I wrapped him in a blanket and just held him and kissed him, tears running down my face. I lied him in my bed and just talked to him and kissed him. I always loved how soft his fur was. It was soothing to me to pet him. We brought him to be cremated a few hours left and my world just exploded.

The physical pain in my chest was crushing. I couldn’t breathe. It hurt to breathe. It hurt to walk, to stand, to sit, to do anything. I was up, I was sitting, I was up walking. I didn’t know what to do. Everything hurt. I didn’t want to eat because he wouldn’t be there to steal my food. I didn’t want to sleep because he wouldn’t be cuddling next to me. I didn’t want to shower because he wouldn’t be sitting on the toilet. I didn’t want to put my makeup on because he wouldn’t be searching for elastics. Ok, ok, you get it.

Now what? It all still hurts.
Kitty lover
Quote 0 0
Sampson
My deepest condolences on the loss of your beloved Yin. Sometimes it's hard to understand why things happen and I wish there could be an easy answer for you. Know that Yang is suffering this loss also but can't communicate that of course. I hope that you and your husband and Yang can all come together to offer each other support and comfort during this dreadful time. Wishing you peace,
Sam
Quote 0 0
Twocats2love
Thank you for your response. We all appreciate it.
Kitty lover
Quote 0 0
Stacy
Hello so sorry for your loss and your pics of the cats are so beautiful.
Your experience is similar to mine to my cat jess who I lost 3 years ago.
One minute she was running about happy with my other cat kitty (who I’ve just sadly lost on Thursday) and I heard a thud noise and she made a sound and I went to investigate to see what was going on and found jess lying there on the floor and she was dead. I couldn’t believe it and was hysterical and was in the house alone and gave my dad a fright when I phoned him cos of the state I was in and he couldn’t make out what I was saying. When he and his wife got to my house and called the vet for me and described what happened, they thought that it was maybe a heart attack that she had and instantly died.
I struggled to come to terms with my loss and was in shock and I finally felt some comfort with knowing that she died quickly and didn’t suffer. Kitty has now died too in the vets on Thursday after they had to put her to sleep and I feel like she suffered before hand and I’m struggling. I feel so heartbroken that I’ve now lost my two fur babies.
Quote 0 0
Twocats2love
Oh, Stacy, how sorry I am for your loss. I take some comfort in your story and hope he didn’t suffer and that maybe it was a heart attack. It still pains me to think I didn’t know what was going on inside him. I am so sorry you just lost your other fur baby. I know the feelings you are having. You are not alone.

I am giving you a virtual (((hug))).
Kitty lover
Quote 0 0
Stacy
I’m glad that you take some comfort in my story as that’s what I had hoped to do.
Thank you so much and virtual hugs back to you.
Quote 0 0
Twocats2love
Sunday’s are the worst day for me. I think of my kitty every day but Sunday’s have taken a hold of me and my grief feels just as fresh as day 1. I find myself curling into a ball and crying and it sneaks up on me every single Sunday. Today is day 25 since Yin died suddenly.
Last night he visited me. He jumped on the bed, his usual spot, and walked up beside me and lied down in his spot. I am grateful for these visits because I know he misses me just as much as I miss him.
I am having a trifecta of medical issues today and when they would happen, Yin would crawl into bed with me or he would lie in my lap. That didn’t happen today. It will never happen again.
My heart hurts again today. 😭💔. I can’t take a full breath.
Kitty lover
Quote 0 0
toospoyld
I'm so sorry for your loss! I lost my beautiful cat, Buddy, on February 16th and the pain you described is exactly how I felt. It hurts so bad. I'm praying for you and hopefully time will help as I am told. Sending hugs to you.
Alice M DeVaughn
Quote 0 0
Eileennellie
I am so sorry for the loss of your kitties. I had a similar experience. On 9/13/16, my 15+ year old cat, Puffy, died. He was a big, healthy boy, and had just been eating(he was a super piggy cat!) when I heard him yowl in the hall and ran and found him laying there, non responsive with huge pupils. I screamed for my mother in law and we rushed to the vet, making it in about 4 minutes. I tried giving him mouth to mouth in the car, and he jerked his head back and looked at me for a second and then I felt him go. I ran into the vet with him, but I knew he was gone. The vet thought it was probably a stroke. My mom said that going easily and peacefully is all we can hope for. In hindsight, I am glad I was holding him, but just knowing he was at home and safe helps me a bit. Please don't ever feel bad, we do as much as we can for our babies, and they know how much we love them. Sometimes it is just their time. I believe everything is born with so many heartbeats, and we all have to run out someday. But we will never be without them😻🌈
Quote 0 0
Bronte64
My 7-year-old male orange tabby, Fletcher, died February 19th. I found him dead in my bed. I got the report back yesterday and he had cardiomyopathy (heart disease) and had a heart attack. That's probably what happened to your furbaby too. I'm so very sorry for your loss. I have 5 other cats, my oldest is an 18-year-old Tuxedo girl I've had for 4 years, she was abandoned after her elderly owner died. She has kidney failure and gets fluids once a week. Please keep posting if you want to, the people here are wonderful and they helped me and continue to do so.
Elizabeth
Quote 0 0