Forum

Author   Comment  
forevermused

Reply with quote  #1 
I'm sorry if this post is so long. I'm new here, I just got awful news and I'm just so desperate to talk to people who understand what I'm going through. My nearly 10 year old shih tzu Matty got diagnosed last year with what we thought was something benign. they couldn't figure out what kind of cancer it was but they were leaning towards lipoma. So we didn't do anything after they removed the first tumor to analyze it. Three months later, he had a growth the size of a grapefruit in his stomach and two more tumors on the same leg, same spot the others were in. We took him to the vet and they said that they would just keep regrowing if we did another surgery, and there was nothing to be done. I asked if it was cancer, they said they weren't sure. The vet I saw that day wasn't the usual vet who sees our animals. But he had a check up later in the year and his usual vet said the same thing. The tumors hadn't grown any and he wasn't in any pain with them, so we left it alone.

Just recently, a month ago, I noticed he kept licking the tumors when he didn't bother them before. He couldn't put weight on his leg. He couldn't even put his leg down. The tumor in his stomach had grown so much and so suddenly it's pressing on his bladder and he has accidents all over the house. We took him to the vet yesterday after saying enough is enough. They took one look at his tumors and said if they did surgery it would spread all through his body and it's just in his one leg. They can't do anything. They said he doesn't have much time left, and they gave us pain medicine to keep him comfortable. We have a week left with him. I'm devastated. 

I have a thirteen year old shih tzu who I have been preparing for to leave me first, but my my baby boy is leaving me first instead and I'm in total shock. I haven't been able to stop crying. I thought I'd have a few years left with him, at the very least. He's always been pretty healthy. A few minor health issues here and there, but nothing like this and now all of a sudden he's this sick. The pain medicine is helping him so far but he's just not happy. My baby loves toys and he hasn't touched any of his in several days. He doesn't eat much anymore. He was always a chubby boy by nature but he's so skinny now. This is the hardest thing I've ever had to do.

Reply with quote  #2 
I am so sorry for everything you’re going through with Matty. I understand completely. My own dog had cancerous tumors that sound similar to what you’re describing. She was just 10 when we found the initial tumor, I too expected to have her much longer with me.

I know everything is scary, distressing, desperate and feels like your world is crumbling before your eyes. Just know that you’re not alone in the things you’re feeling. This is an incredibly hard time, and we are here for you.

Dale0418

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Samantha,
I know exactly what you are feeling. Two months ago I found out my baby boy had incurable cancer and had to let him go within a week. He was only 8.5 years old.

You feel helpless and so sad for your boy, but know you have truly done everything possible and he knows that. Make this the best week ever. I know you don’t want to make the decision and know you don’t want him to go, but you have to be a strong Mommy and do the best thing for him and the pain. I saw that Dale, my boy, didn’t want to play and was in pain. It just wasn’t “him”. My mom had to call and make the arrangements for someone to come to my house bc I just couldn’t. Do you have someone who can help you with this process? Lean on them.

Make this a great week for Matty. I know it is hard, but you have to pretend to be happy so he doesn’t see you upset. As you know, they feed off our energy. Stay strong for him. I am so very sorry you are going through this, I wish I could take it all away for you. It is the hardest thing and so unfair. Please reach out needed. I’ll be thinking of you and Matty. Xo
DivasMother

Reply with quote  #4 
I’m so sorry for your loss. But maybe what I’ll share with you may help you both in some way. When I found out Diva had Cancer. And I spoke with the home hospice vet doctor. I had made an appointment with her for Diva to go on a Thursday March 1st. It didn’t workout and I made the appointment for the Wednesday. When I had done so Diva wasn’t in the room. Monday I looked at Diva and because humans and dogs are connected so much. I asked Diva when would you like to go. Blink once for Tuesday or twice for Wednesday. And she blinked for Wednesday. And I’m thankful because we were able to pack a lot in on Tuesday. She got to go for one final walk with her bestfriend my parents dog. Got to really play and live that Tuesday to the fullest.

I know by asking her when she wanted to go it was respecting her. The cancer was throughout her system and I know if I had prolonged letting her go she would have become even worse then she was. It’s not easy saying good by but it sounds to me. Your dog lived an amazing life and as hard as saying good bye is. Don’t let them suffer even more then they have already.

Sending hugs and love ❤️.

🐾❤️🐾 Diva Born Aug 24th 2007 - R.I.P.  Feb 28th 2018/1:25pm

forevermused

Reply with quote  #5 
thank you all for your kind words
The pain medicine he's currently on seems to help some, but I'm second guessing myself now, and I'm so scared of putting him down too soon, but the first words out of the vet's mouth was nothing could be done at this stage of the cancer
and his quality of life is slowly and gradually going down
my baby has no energy anymore, he won't play, he gets excited for treats, he still barks, he still follows me around, but i can tell he's uncomfortable. He can't use that leg, and if it can't be removed, he would have to suffer with it until his final day and I don't want that. 

this is just such a hard decision to make, and I'm so scared of making the wrong one, but I know if I kept him here he wouldn't be happy, and he looks so miserable. This is such a nightmare. 

thank you all again for the comforting words, and for the love and support. here's a picture of my baby. 

Attached Images
jpeg IMG_1685[1].jpg (164.71 KB, 2 views)

matty, luna, kiki, benji. 
DivasMother

Reply with quote  #6 
He’s adorable. I’m so sorry your going through this, I really am. My Diva visits me here and there. The last thing you want is him to suffer anymore then he has. You would be giving him the gift to not suffer. It really does hurt us more because we are left with the physical emptiness.

🤗 hugs

Diva’s last day with me.

Attached Images
jpeg 96493763-883B-496B-9B87-95DB6ACD1E80.jpeg (95.82 KB, 4 views)

🐾❤️🐾 Diva Born Aug 24th 2007 - R.I.P.  Feb 28th 2018/1:25pm

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.