Gmr
So I seem to be going through something now and I'm wondering if anyone else has had this. I put my dog down in Nov last year. I have a cat. Since my dog has been gone I have been making sure to show some extra love and attention to my cat. She's always been very independent and only comes around me when she wants to. This i know is normal for a cat and her. But lately I have had like this hyper vigilance of her that I didn't have before my dogs passing. If I don't see her for awhile I right away think something's wrong with her. If I don't think she's eating enough I start to worry. If she's just laying in the living room I start to think she's sick or something's wrong. I even worry something's wrong if I see her pupils dilated. It makes me crazy. Has anyone else experienced these types of feelings with another pet after losing one? I don't understand why I'm feeling these things.
Quote 0 0
DogMom86
Yes, I go through this with my other dogs. Sango went through a period of not eating for a couple days. I freaked out. She is okay; she just had a picky spell. I thought Tami was acting weird one morning. I spent the day at work freaked out. She is okay. I think losing a baby makes us realize how short and precious life is and we worry about our remaining babies.
Mija, Chihuahua: 2004-2019
16 years
London, Golden Retriever: 2005-2020
15 years

Mom to Misty, Sango, Tami, Abby, Kawaii and Pepita the Chihuahua

Quote 0 0
Wileykitten
Definitely. After loding my Wiley to sinus cancer, I am overly vigilant with my other cats. I panic so quickly if something is different or they act weird.. I can't tell you how many times I have taken them to the vet for basically no reason. I guess it's good in some ways.. Maybe we will be able to catch something early and it can be treated..
I'm so sorry to hear of your baby passing.. This kind of grief does a job not only on the heart but the mind also.
Love on your cat.. You need each other ❤ and hopefully these "off character" things are nothing but it is always best to err on the side of caution.

Praying for peace for you in this heartbreaking journey

-Stacie
Quote 0 0
dachsiemom

What you are experiencing is hypervigilance. This is usually associated with ptsd but can also occur with extreme grief, as I learned after my beloved dachshund boy died in 2018. I got a dachshund puppy after about 4 months, but had a very difficult few months with him because of my anxiety.  Little things sent me into a state of panic.  I spent many hours crying about minor health issues, real and imagined. It was probably too soon to get another dog, but all is well now. Bingley is a joy, and I have finally recovered from the trauma of losing Brandon.  You are not crazy! You will recover in time. 

Dachsiemom

Moira - remembering Brandon
"Better lo'ed ye canna be. Will ye no' come back again?"
Quote 0 0
Eileennellie
I 100% do this. I lost both my dogs 3 months apart, and Dobie died from a fatal heart arrhythmia, totally shocking and devastating. We got another male Doberman, he's almost 1, and I am extremely over protective of him. Just this morning, he was panting and breathing heavier than usual while playing. I immediatly checked the color of his gum and looked for any bloating or swelling on his body, then called the vet. They know what I went through before, and calmed me down, said he was getting oxygen if his gums and tongue were pink, and maybe he was picking up on my anxiety? So I lay down with him and my son, and sure enough, he calmed down and is fine! So I totally understand this behavior. I think I have minor PTSD, honestly. As long as it isn't making you sick, I see nothing wrong with being very aware of your pets. I do a head county of my kitties every night before bed, and once I couldn't locate our new kitten (at the time, he's 3 now!) My boyfriend said "don't worry about it, he's fine, probably just asleep somewhere." But my dog was whining and pacing, so I kept looking. He had gotten himself shut between the front door and glass storm door! Luckily, he was small enough that it didn't hurt him, but he couldn't move at all. So I see my hypervigilance as a positive.
Quote 0 0
timw98
I too have experienced that as I've lost 4 cats now. The last one being Chelsea last November. She was diagnosed with heart disease in May 2019. My first cat, Carter went into congestive heart failure in 2012. The disease was very advanced by then. Had to say goodbye two days later. I carried a lot of guilt over that and was determined to be more vigilant with Chelsea since thankfully my vet caught the condition early with her. Meds helped her for several months but any sign of heart failure sent me into panic mode and several unnecessary trips to emergency. I did not want to be caught off guard again.

Tim
Quote 0 0
Stacy7
Oh yes, I’ve experienced this. It’s just that ugly grief showing up in your life again in a different way. Cats grieve too. Making sure your kitty is ok is normal, but as I have experienced, this goes overboard or at least I think so now that time has given me perspective. Just allow yourself the time to grieve some more and heck, maybe take your kitty for a check up for peace of mind. That’s what I did. I’m sorry you are on this journey, but know you are supported here. We all care about you.
Quote 0 0
timw98
I too have experienced that as I've lost 4 cats now. The last one being Chelsea last November. She was diagnosed with heart disease in May 2019. My first cat, Carter went into congestive heart failure in 2012. The disease was very advanced by then. Had to say goodbye two days later. I carried a lot of guilt over that and was determined to be more vigilant with Chelsea since thankfully my vet caught the condition early with her. Meds helped her for several months but any sign of heart failure sent me into panic mode and several unnecessary trips to emergency. I did not want to be caught off guard again.

Tim
Quote 0 0