Rooby
Hello

My amazing rescue Sharpei boy has become very poorly with dementia so that the kindest and heart breaking decision is to let him go over the Rainbow Bridge and join his lovely friends who will be waiting for him. He is managed on medication but this doesn’t work all the time and he is scared and confused and anxious and distressed. It is an incurable condition. He can be awake all night trembling beside me and no comfort can reach him and help him.

Logic says this is the right time for him as he is 13 now but when he comes out of his dementia zone he can play like a puppy and walk and eat loads and have a couple of peaceful nights. This makes the decision a million billion times harder and I doubt myself hugely.

I hate myself so much....I should be able to save him and be with him 24/7 although he is always with me or my partner. I have to do this in next week or so and will never ever get over the guilt for the rest of my life. Just wish I could go with him so he won’t be alone.

Thanks for any support.....I know everyone on this forum has experienced this awful pain. X

Rooby
Quote 0 0
sydneyrose
We just made the same difficult decision. But our Sydney let us know it was time. She hated going to the vet but calmed when we finally made the decision. I think it put her at ease. It was hard but we were able to spend a few hours with her (it was unexoected). Just remember, everything you have done for him has been in his best interest, not necessarily yours. Think of this the same way. It was very hard for me to not be selfish and try to prolong the inevitable for no benefit of her.
Quote 0 0
Mycatisanastronaut
This is something I can never understand because my kitty went young and quick. Remember you gave them a long and happy life. This must be tough to watch. I am so sorry and you will be in my thoughts
Quote 0 0
Jan_H
I had to make that horrible decision for my boy a couple of weeks ago. It was very hard. But choosing to end a pet's suffering is the final act of love that you do for him. At one point the vet said that my boy was having a good day so it was a good day to let him go. At the time I thought that was crazy and put it off. Then later I realized that I wanted his last day to be a good one. So I made that awful decision and did my best to make his final day a good one. It was hard but keeping him longer would have been selfish.

I know how difficult and stressful it is when you know you're going to have to make that decision soon.

What is your boy's name?

Jan
Quote 0 0
Rooby
Hi

Thanks for supportive words. His name is Riley and is a rescue we have had for 4 and half years . He is an amazing boy and will leave the biggest gap imaginable but have to think of him .....am just having so much trouble with making the decision. In the past have always known when time right for my other animals but this is very different.
Hope you ok and find peace knowing you did the right thing .....so very hard
Rooby
Quote 0 0