Louise22
I had to say goodbye to my beloved cat last night after 18 years of being together. I’m absolutely heartbroken, keep crying, can’t sleep, couldn’t go to work. The gaping hole I feel is so painful
Quote 1 0
Becky1990
Louise,
I am so sorry for your loss of your furbaby. I loss mine at 19 yrs old, 8 weeks ago this coming Thursday. I cried for 3 days straight non-stop, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep. We have always been able to depend on them being there with us. It is a huge loss that some people won't understand. Yes they lived a long life and I think it makes it harder for us. They been through everything with us!
Allow yourself to greive however long it takes. I am still greiving. There are many people here that understands the pain you are going through. Write your feelings here. That has helped me tremendously. You are not alone. My deepest condolences. Becky
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Dearest Louise,

I am very saddened to learn of your loss. Yours tender and heartbreaking words show just how much you completely adored, cherished and loved your cat.

You are not alone sweetheart. There are many caring, compassionate, wise, experienced, loving, empathetic, smart, witty and informative people here on the Rainbow Bridge forum, who will now help you through your grief. Please click on past posts and read some of our stories, thoughts, feelings, emotions, memories, observations etc.

This forum literally saved my life from commiting suicide I was so, so distraught from losing my best friend, son, brother, comrade in arms, my only remaining family, my love and my light, my beloved cat, an orange and white Tabby named "Marmalade", when I had him put down just over 5 months ago.

You will make it through what you are feeling and experiencing. Just travel through time. Take it one second, one minute, one hour, one day, one week and yes, one month at a time. Just allow your inner healing mechanism to do its job. When you are up for it, please share something about your cat. We would love to hear about your beloved. 

Greif will come in waves. At times it will gently ebb around your legs, at other times it will rise to your waste and be disconcerting, at still other times it will raise all the way up to your neck, and then later, it may rise about your head and knock you off your feet, consume you, nearly drown you with sorrow. The key will be to hold your breath for a few moments and just await the tide to recede again. It will...I promise...every single time. If you allow it do to so. This is unfortuniatly how we all seem to process grief. In waves. Slowly but surely the tides of grief will become smaller and smaller and much more endurable. This is evidenced by the posts from our grief veterans here on the forum. This has been proven hundreds if not thousands of times. 

Soon when you think of your beloved, your fond, good, cherished and even amusing memories will predominantly come to mind. Not the sad ones. Again, the proof is here on the forum. Just ride it out. Travel through time.

As you may know cats on the street and in the wild only live around 2 to 5 years. That is their natural lifespan on average. By adopting your beloved when you did, you quadruped your cats lifespan to their extraordinarily long lifetime. As Becky1990 did above. And that is admirable. I am glad that your beloved lived a long life, and was no doubt cherished, loved, and adored by one such as you. All cats should be so blessed. Just as all humans should be, to know such unconditional, pure, innocent love in their lifetimes.

My kindest regards & sincerest condolences,
James
Quote 0 0
Louise22
Thank you so much Becky and memories of marmalade - James
Your kind words are really most comforting at this really difficult time. It is so comforting to know m not alone and that there are people that understand exactly how I feel.
I am so sorry for the loss you have both experienced.
My cat was a big ginger Tom cat who was so loving and cherished by all of the family. He loved a fuss and was there to greet me when I came home and followed me around till I fed him, he loved a cuddle on the couch. I miss him so much and my house is just empty without him pottering around it. I literally feel heartbroken
Louise
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Dear Louise,

You are more than welcome sweetheart. My cat "Marmalade" was also ginger cat as I mentioned. We have many pet parents here who have also lost an orange cat. Many orange boys and 1 girl cat. We all adored them so. 

Did you know Sir Winston Churchill loved ginger cats too? In his Will he left specific instructions that a ginger cat always occupy his estate in England, into perpetuity. And each must be a rescue. You might find this clip interesting and I want to share one from the film "A Street Cat Named Bob" about a ginger cat that saved a homeless man's life (which was remarkable to me, as Marmalade saved my life as I mentioned and I had never heard of Bob the cats story until only recently) also linked below.

Hugs & God bless,
James

Quote 0 0
Louise22
Thank you James for your kind words, they are honestly helping me more than you will know.

The clips were really interesting and no I didn’t know that Winston Churchill,I did start reading the book ‘a street cat called bob’ I may continue it when I’m feeling stronger.

I am so glad I found this forum, it truly is a safe place to try and express the pain I’m feeling.

Thank you for your kindness

Louise x
Quote 1 0
LauriP92
Dear Louise
This forum is literally a gift from heaven. It has helped me so much to cope with the loss of my baby Ollie
I am so sorry for your loss. Its terrible and heartbreaking-no other way to put it. I pray every day that we really do see them
at the Rainbow bridge when we pass. 
Sending you a big hug
Lauri
Lauri 
Quote 1 0