strangerthanfiction
Our kitten, Cowboy, passed away at home last night after a short illness. My boyfriend and I took him in as a stray last June when he wandered onto our neighbor's porch. We named him Cowboy because of his bowed legs and white markings on his rear legs which made him look like he was wearing chaps!

I have always been a dog person, but Cowboy quickly changed my opinions on cats. He loved to cuddle on laps, sleep in the sink, and he was so fascinated by water that he even climbed in the shower with me several times. He was fearless around our two large dogs, and the three of them were fast friends.

When we took him for his initial vet visit, he was diagnosed with Feline Leukemia. We knew it would eventually take him from us, but we were not prepared for him to go so soon. Mere months later, he began declining--first he was just sleepier than usual, then his interest in toys waned and he began to lose weight. We actually had a vet appointment for him today, but it was too late. He died last night on his favorite towel in the bathroom. I'm glad that he was able to die at home, in a comfortable environment--as opposed to the trauma of taking him to the vet to be euthanized (which we knew we would have to do sooner or later). I had a feeling that he would go last night.We said our tearful goodbyes and I said a prayer before bed (and I'm not even religious). This morning he was gone, and I'd like to believe that he just drifted off to sleep.

Cowboy was only about 6 months old, and while I am so sad to lose him (I'm crying as I write this), I know that he was just a visitor to this life. We were proud to take him in and give him a safe, comfortable place to die. He will be sorely missed and I will remember him always as the first cat that I ever loved. Rest easy, Cowboy.

Quote 0 0
MamaC
He was so lucky to have parents that loved him, even for such a short while.  They truly are here only for a breif period.  I'm so glad you found each other.

<3

Much love to you,

MamaC
Quote 0 0
jasminesmom
I am so sorry for your loss. Seems like Cowboy chose you to take care of him in his final days. How wonderful for you.The length of time that our furbabies are with us, be it six months or sixteen years, does not change our grieving, our sadness, our lonliess, when they are gone.

You will be in my prayers tonite as will, all those who have lost a loved one.

Hugs,

Cheryl and Angel Jasmine
Cheryl and Angel Jasmine
Jasmine was loved
Jasmine was given ProIn
Jasmine is now gone
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/JAMIN001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0