LauriP92
I could really use some words of comfort as I am suffering. My poor 18 1/2 year old baby had to be helped to the Rainbow Bridge yesterday. I am so sick about it and have never been this sad in all my life. He was such a staple in my life and my best buddy. He would let me know when he wanted to eat or wanted to be left alone. He has been with my husband and myself since a year after we met so pretty much our whole relationship. I feel guilty because we went away last week-we left him with his regular pet sitter who did spend a lot of time with him but I shouldn't have gone on vacation. We returned Sunday and he was fine. Then he was acting strange on Tues-was not eating well. On Wed he barely ate anything and was very lethargic. Laid on my belly for hours and he usually doesnt do that. Wed around 2am my husband came down to check on him and he had peed on the floor-he has never missed his box. Thurs morning he couldn't stand on his back legs at all. Rushed him to the vet who wasn't sure what was wrong but his white count was off the charts meaning either cancer or infection. He was so sick he didn't even fight and try to get out of the carrier or cry like he usually did because he was at the vet. The vet pretty much told us she could do a bunch of other tests but if he had cancer at his age there wasn't much to do. And she told us he was in a lot of pain as she couldn't even touch his back legs without him howling. We decided to let him go. It was peaceful for him but painful for us. Did I make the right decision? Should I have brought him home for awhile? I cannot stop crying and have a giant hole in my heart. Not sure if I can ever recover from this. 
Lauri 
Quote 0 0
anang
Lauri, 
My heart goes out to you. Our animals give us signs when they are ready to pass on. They are dignified beings, and they don't want to be seen as burdens, weak, sick, etc. 

I know that this is no consolation, but 18 and a half years is a wonderful furry friend. My cat Ana Ng died at the age of 19 and a half about two months ago.

When animals stop eating, stop peeing or pooing like they usually do, lose muscle control, they are peacefully letting us know that they are ready to move onto the rainbow bridge.

Your baby will forever be in your heart and soul and will be waiting for you over the rainbow bridge.

You will find a great deal of support here on this forum.

Warm regards,
Katie
K. Unger
Quote 1 0
LauriP92
Thank you Katie. I just miss him terribly. I appreciate you taking the time to respond .I am sorry to hear about your cat as well. You’re right we were lucky to have them so long
Lauri 
Quote 0 0
anang
Your baby will be waiting for you across the rainbow bridge. You gave him an amazing life! Please try to find joy in the fact that you gave him the best life EVER!
K. Unger
Quote 1 0