scottwelsh38
We missed the signs. She started with a limp, then sitting weird, licking her paws, and then not wanting to eat. It was about 6 months time baby girl suffered. I had her to the vet at about the month mark. He said she pulled something in her hip but was healing. Elsie was where I was all the time. When I went to work and my wife to bed she waited at the door. We walked everyday. Two to three times daily. It was our thing. All times of the day and night. I shortened the walks because she would pant heavily and get tired. I missed the signs till Tuesday morning after work. She didn't jump up and kiss me coming in the door, just a little lick. I turned on the light she was sitting up looking off. No tail wags nothing. I grabbed her poop bags and leash, she never moved. I bent down to pet and she dropped to the floor crying. And yelping. She was paralyzed some where in her back. As I cry typing this my sorrow is beyond belief. We took her to the Pet ER. She had a ruptured disc a few inches back from her shoulders. The heavy panting was do to that. She tried to stand and be by me. I had to put her down. ElsieTElsie came to uswus at 3 Months old.  buti mostslept with her for about 2 weeks on the floor because she missed her litter mates. Her last 2 hours I laid on the exam room floor comforting her till the end sound decision of life. I am so sorry Elsie that we missed all the signs. I love you still. Someday we will meet again on the bridge.
Scott L Welsh
Quote 1 0
P_Mom
Dear Scott, most of us miss the signs.  Dogs are amazing at hiding their pain as a natural defense.  We're not vets or medically trained (most of us).  I'm so very sorry for your loss.  It's obvious the one shared.  How special you were there for her, right there with her on the floor, at the very beginning and end.  True love. ❤️💖
Jennifer
Quote 0 0
ChantillyCat
I'm so sorry for your loss, Scott. Losing our fur babies is absolutely heart breaking and gut wrenching. I'm sure many of us have missed many signs with our babies. I think it is especially difficult when it's an emergency situation. I too dealt with an ER situation with my fur baby recently and I had to let her go. It was the hardest decision of my life. Your Elsie knew you were there for her comforting and loving her up until the very end. I hope one day you can find peace in your heart. Sending you lots of healing light.💕
Quote 0 0