Eileennellie
After Dobie passed in July, I thought Paris was just grieving. Trips to vet revealed calcification on her spine, so we started Rimadyl and Tramadol. But in the last few weeeks, I saw her go rapidly downhill. Knuckling, dragging her feet and eventually her front legs would go out on her, but she always got herself up. Her appetite was good, and her pain seemed well controlled. I thought it was invertebral disc disease. Then on Oct 27 th, she was whining almost all night, despite my sleeping right next to her, and no matter how much of her pain meds she took. Same thing next night, and she started panting and being very anxious, like she just couldn't get comfortable. We realized she was in the final stages of degenerative myelopathy, like ALS in dogs. on Oct 29th, she ate breakfast, but wouldn't go potty, went outside in the sun with the family, then came inside and lay down next to her bed. I knew she was not going to be able to get up again, and didn't want her to try. My biggest fear has been for her to get hurt and suffer. DM causes no pain, and all of her organs, etc, were in great shape. She was just losing her ability to control her legs, and I could tell her breathing was likely next to go. She exhibited all the signs, including licking her joints, trying to make them work, I'm assuming. She had licked and chewed a tiny spot raw overnight that I noticed right before the vet arrived. So we called a vet that does home euthanasia at noon and asked for the latest appointment available, 6 pm. But by 1 pm, we called back and asked them to come asap. So at 2, we said goodbye to the greatest dog we'll ever know. I feel like she couldn't have told me any more clearly that she was ready, that she was tired and done. I know we did everything exactly right, and I am so grateful for that. I don't feel the anguish and stress I felt when we lost Dobie suddenly and unexpectedly. I feel more relief that we were able to help her live the best life possible, and were able to let her go when she said she was ready. I also feel a weird calm about Dobie, like they are together again and it's all ok. I'm sad that she won't be here to greet our baby in December, but I know that these amazing Doberman Pinschers made me capable and ready to have a baby. I don't believe I could do it without them and all the patience and caring that they both taught me. This next month will be the first time in over 12 years that I don't have a dog to hurry home to, to let out and feed. It will probably be the last time in many years, too, so we will get out and do things, because I know Paris wants us to. She is free, and she and Dobie will be with me again one day.
Quote 0 0
Lola2010
It gives me a sort of solace to hear your story. That you didn’t feel the intense sadness letting her go. My Lola was mauled and had to be put down after an hour of trying to treat her. It was terrible to lose her in such good health and spirit at the age of 11, but I still have her sister who is a year younger. I don’t want to go through the same pain and sadness again when it’s her time, so it’s comforting to know it doesn’t have to be that way. It sounds like your dogs had long, happy lives. My hope is that my Stella, like your Paris goes peacefully when she is ready and the time is right.
Quote 1 0
Lola2010
Lola (left), Stella (right). Stella was with us when we let Lola go so I hope she understands. Thanks for your thoughts. Always happy to share a picture...
Quote 1 0
Eileennellie
That was the last road trip she took, we went to the McKenzie river after Dobie passed to cheer her up. It worked, she loves to pee in rivers, for some reason! The vet that came to help Paris said that this is last gift we can give them, and I agree. I always thought it would be harder to have to make the decision, but aside from having them pass peacefully on their sleep, I can honestly say this was the easiest (and also hardest) way for it to happen. I miss her so much, but no matter the circumstances, we will all always miss them. I hope everyone can find some peace knowing that no matter how it happens, they are happy now, and we will be with them again. I am absolutely sure of that.
Quote 0 0
Katie123
I'm not sure if this site is a scam. I connect with your experience.
I'm EST 603-312-2211
Quote 0 1
Eileennellie
How on earth would a site for people grieving the loss of a pet be a scam?! What an odd thing to say...
Quote 0 0
Dogmom5
This forum and the kind words as well as just reading posts has helped me tremendously in the 12 weeks since losing my Sophie. It’s real caring people who loved and will always love their companion animals.
Quote 1 0
Lola2010
Bonniesmum, thank you for the kind words about my pups. Randy is a cute little guy. My neighbor had a dog that looked almost indentical and he must have been almost 17. I’m glad this forum was able to help you with losing your Bonnie, and that gives me hope that I will continue to recover. It is also an excellent way to channel the negative energy of intense grief and loss by providing support and comfort to others experiencing the same feelings.

Eileen, Paris looks by those pictures to be the gentlest, most kind-hearted of that breed I have seen. Such a sweet face I’m sure will be missed, but remembered fondly forever.
Quote 0 0
Lillymylove
All your doggies are absolutely gorgeous and I cry at everyone I look at.
Take care everyone x x
David 
Quote 0 0
MyCharlieboy
I'm so grateful for your story. I lost my Charlie in one week after finding out he had Lymphoma. It started getting hard for him to breathe and I was terrified he was going to drown in fluid. I wanted more time with him so badly. He was my perfect baby boy.
He supported me and helped me through my cancer 8 years ago, and I don't think my dependence on him ever went away.
I went to my bank for the first time since he died the other day and they all know him and the teller said she was afraid to ask me but did I have one or two puppies with me. I held up one finger and she said she was so sorry. It's been 4 months tomorrow and I am still struggling. Sadie is trying so hard to take care of both my husband and me, but I now that she also lost her best friend. I hope we are able like you to help her go at the right time and I don't have to face a sudden horrifying time again. I wake up every night and check to make sure she's breathing.
Like I say to my husband everyday I want my baby boy back!
I miss him so much. 0224101129b.jpg 
Isn't he beautiful!
Quote 0 0
Eileennellie
He looks like an angel! We are all very lucky to have have the time together with our wonderful pets.
Quote 0 0
PeppermintPatty
Hi,

I wanted to check in to see how you are doing. We are kindred spirits since we both lost our precious babies within an approximate 4-month time span. I walk around thinking how unreal this whole scenario is. I'm having a very hard time with the grief. Just when I was beginning to feel somewhat normal after putting Emilee down, I feel as though I got whacked backwards in a thousand directions after the excruciating loss of Lara.

I know you can relate on this level after losing your Dobermans -- Dobie in July, and then Paris in October. This is almost too much to handle. What have you been doing to help alleviate the debilitating pain? Whatever steps you are taking toward healing, I hope and pray that you find peace. No words of solace can eliminate the pain in its entirety. I just don't know if I can ever locate the huge piece of me that went missing after this entire ordeal. Feeling normal again seems like a distant proposition right now.

Anyway, I my thoughts and prayers are with you at this extremely difficult time. I was so ready to put 2017 behind me and move on, but with the loneliness of the void and the constant little reminders everywhere, it's just not possible right now. I'm three days in and I pick up Lara's ashes and paw print on Tuesday. So I pray for the stamina to get through this because it's going to take a lot of time.

I hope motherhood is treating you well. Take care.

Patty
Quote 0 0
Eileennellie
Thank s for checking in, Patty. I hope having Lara's ashes and paw print will help you. It has helped me.I talk to my dogs ashes every day (and my cat Puffy's), I think it helps to tell them I love them and say goodnight to them, since I did this every night when hey were alive. It keeps a part of our routine alive. I never feel normal without them, when they are our entire lives for any period of time, I don't think we will ever be "normal" again. Only different. It takes a lot of time to get used to. If I didn't have a month old baby to keep me constantly occupied, I know I would be struggling much more. Luckily I fall asleep the second I go to bed because I am exhausted, but if I don't, I usually start crying a little. Not having time to think about how much I miss them has kept me from struggling much more. This has been the hardest year of my life because of losing my dobers. We are going to get more dogs once the baby is at least a year old, but I know they will never be as special as Paris and Dobie were. It's just not possible. But we will all get through this, our pets just want us to have happiness. So I try my best to cope with the pain for them, to honor their memories. I believe you will be able to find your peace in your losses.

This is one of the last pictures I took of Paris, about a week before losing her.
Quote 1 0