Maggie2002b1212d15
My husband and I had to decide to euthanize our 14 year old Sheltie on 12/12/15. It was the hardest thing to do. She had a large tumor and gum disease and none of the vets that we took her to would operate. She wouldn't make it through the surgery. I miss her so much,but I'm feeling so guilty for making that decision. I know in my heart that she's better off,but when will this feeling go away? She was a large part of our family for so many years.
Susan Clifford
Quote 0 0
rachbu
I'm so sorry you're going through this.  Please know you're among many other very kind people who understand and are going through the same pain.  You are not alone in this.

Usually I have more words, but right now, I just don't, but please know you are supported here.
xo
Rachel (Cuddles's mommy)
Quote 0 0
robertian1959
Iam so sorry for your loss , I understand how you feel as i feel the same , i put my baby to sleep on monday , she was 15 and the love of my life . Like you i feel guilty but know i did the right thing as her quality of life was nil, but doesn't help me in the slightest knowing that .I can't sleep in her bed as she always snuggled into me , i always said that although it is a king size bed it was her's and i slept with her.

I brought her home today and have placed her casket on my display unit and kiss it everytime i walkby .People say you will come to terms and remember the happiness you had with her , but like you i want to know when as at the moment every second is agony
Gemma's Daddy
Quote 0 0
bartlett
Susan, it's one of the hardest things in the world to have to put your baby to sleep. I don't think I'll ever get over remembering the day I had to do that. Time helps dull the pain some but after two weeks it's still the thing that's right there in the back of my mind almost constantly. I've always thought Shelties were one of the prettiest dogs I've ever seen and I know you have a hugh hole in your heart right now. I remember one time when we were camping and someone had 3 shelties at the camp site. I couldn't wait to see them every day. So beautiful and with the sweetest faces.
I hope the coming days will gradually get better for you. Share a picture if you have one and feel like it.
Chester's mom (Joan)
joan bartlett
Quote 0 0
bartlett
To Gemma's daddy, I am so sorry for the loss of your baby and after 15 years of having her in your life, I know you are missing her terribly. I know what you mean about sleeping with your doggie. Chester was always my bed buddy. I have another dachshund and a yorkie that now sleep with me, not to take Chester's place, they never could, but to keep me from feeling so lonely.
I can imagine the sadness you feel every time you pass by her casket. I buried my Chester man in my back yard and sometimes wonder if maybe I shouldn't have. I just couldn't bear leaving him there at the vet. I had to bring him home where I could hold him and kiss his sweet face one last time.
Yes, everyone says things will get better and I'll have to say that nothing could be as bad as the first few days. I don't think I could endure that kind of pain for long.
Hoping for healing and better days ahead.
Chester's mom (Joan)
joan bartlett
Quote 0 0
illusions
HI all - I just joined this forum. We had to put my sweet 16 yr old Cairn Terrier down 3 weeks ago today. He was our first dog, and although I knew this would be the hardest decision we ever had to make, I had no idea how devastated I would feel. Much more pain and emptiness than I thought possible. So I turned to the internet to find people going thru this, in the hopes that I would feel like this is "normal". Our little guy, AJ, was such a big part of our lives. We rescued him when he was 5 yrs old. We loved him, we spoiled him, we gave him a safe and loving home.
Now my husband and I just dont know how to deal with his being gone. His presence is everywhere, and the tears just wont stop! It seems each week gets harder, rather than easier! Such conflicting feelings, we feel guilty for having him euthanised (how I prayed he would pass in his sleep one night) but we knew his quality of life had declined, and we couldnt have him suffer any longer. We do know that the one right decision we made was to have a mobile vet come to our home, and AJ was put to sleep on his favorite chair, with us talking and cuddling him thru it all, and long after.
We were determined not to let his last breath be at the vets office which he always hated!
His ashes are home with us now, and when the time is right for us, our plan is to scatter some on his favorite walking trails. It is so difficult to see his things around, but yet, I cant bear to put them away.
It helps to read these stories, to know I am not alone in my feelings. But when, if ever, does it get easier??? 
Quote 0 0
bartlett
How sad to hear about your sweet little AJ. You're so right about having to make that decision and how it just tears the heart right out of you. I had to do the same for my Chester man (13 yr old dachshund) two weeks ago. After the most horrible night spent with him walking the floor and not wanting to be picked up there was no doubt in my mind what I had to do. I could not let my precious boy spend another minute living like that. You were so fortunate that you were able to do that at home and be there until the end with your sweetie. I had to drive to vet (alone) and then drive home with my baby in the seat beside me no longer in this world. The pain of that and then his burial just about killed me. When I look back I don't know how I managed to survive that day and the few days following. There are no words to describe the absolute devastation.
I feel the same way about his things and have not put anything away. This morning when I was cleaning I lifted the dust ruffle on my bed and there was all the Chester hairs where he came and went under the bed which was his favorite place to lay. I had to stop what I was doing and try to get myself together.
I wish I had the magic solution to ease your pain and mine but I think talking to others here is probably one of the best things to do. It doesn't take the pain away, but at least you can know that your feelings are normal and shared by many.
Chester's mom (Joan)
joan bartlett
Quote 0 0
robertian1959
Hi Joan , Thanks for the kind words and sorry to hear about your boy Chester . When i got home on monday after dropping her off at the crematorium i either gave away or threw out all of Gemma's belongings and food that was left over , but still find small memories that break my heart every time .I still hear her walking about still smell her , the next step is to have my car valeted as she voided herself as i was driving her from the vet so it smells not of urine but of her wet doggie smell.

I just wish for the time when the memories even the happy ones don't hurt

Gemma's Daddy
Quote 0 0
mcianchette
We made the decision to end Winston's earth journey 14 months ago.  The grief, guilt and sadness are so consuming in the early days because the decision to end a life is just so surreal.  We were able to talk with Winston the last couple days and encourage him to tell us what he wanted us to do.  I feel so blessed that he really did seem to give us his answer.  While I knew we would all miss each other terribly, I knew he was very ready to move on and that he trusted us to help him with that transition.  

Be gentle with yourselves through these early days.  Everyone's journey is different and trust that you'll just know, from one day to the next, how to function and manage this transition.  And in these 14 months, I've learned that while the pain still exists, it ebbs and flows a bit more.  Each day I'm a little more able to fill some of the sadness with happy memories.  I've learned to just get calm sometimes and let Winston's spirit in, to guide and comfort me.  

Sending healing thoughts to all who are so new into this challenging journey.  
Martha,
Winston's mom
Quote 0 0
camunki
so sorry for your loss, and there is "never" a right time to feel ok about putting our precious pets to sleep, we all grieve, we all feel
guilt, but you have to look into your pets soul and know what is right for your pet, this is an act of Selflessness.....we are thier 
caretakers and have to make the right choices for them....they do not want to suffer.

I put my baby to sleep lil over 2 weeks ago, and it was the hardest choice of my life, to see her breathing one moment, then
to see her heart stop. I am still grieving and know i will for many, many months ahead.

Know you did the right thing..........and know you are not alone.........

Cam

Cam

Quote 0 0
Maggie2002b1212d15
I want to thank everyone who has replied to my post. I want to put a picture of Maggie on here,but I'm not sure how to. She was a beautiful dog,looked just like Lassie. I'm missing her so much today. It's been just over a week that she passed. I know this guilt will go away,maybe it won't. It's been so hard losing her before Christmas. I feel such an empty feeling when I go outside and she's not there. She was with me all the time . She was the best dog you could ever ask for. Our cat(one of three) is really missing her too. Our children are all grown and live elsewhere so Maggie was like my last baby living home. I know we will probably end up with a puppy in the spring. We've never been without a dog. But nothing can replace Maggie in my heart. We will just love another for hopefully another 14 years.
Susan Clifford
Quote 0 0