papillon7 Show full post »
Tommyhunter123
When we put our dogs or cats down, we are always doing the right thing. You said in your story that your fur angel was in pain and had cancer and was not eating? You did the right thing. They have their way of letting us know. The hardest thing i ever did was to put my Luckydog off to sleep, but in my heart over 1.5 days he became so ill not to eat at all. Read his story. Before we went to the er vet, he came from his bed took a drink of water looked at me as if to say daddy i am ready. I watched him dwindle from a 14 year old walking eating machine beagle to 114 years old. Ask your vet for his actual blood work report and all your pets vet reports they have to give it to you and sit down and read it go on the internet and look everything up for yourself that is what i did and i got a better explanation of what happened. Fur angels have a very short life span, I just read that is why they sleep so much to make up for lost time they don't have. I think if you sit down and think of everything your pet went though and was going through you probably would choose to be put to sleep your self if it were legal and you were that sick. Take a minute and read my Luckydogs story. You did the right thing, I am 3 months out and I still cry and grieve everyday the best thing to do is stay on this web site and join the chat rooms and the monday night candle lighting ceramony.
god bless
david gaspari
Luckydogs daddy
David R. Gaspari
Quote 0 0
Susie_Squillions
I certainly understand the second-guessing and wondering if you did the right thing, but I can tell you, from two perspectives, why you did the right thing at the right time. As painful as it is for you, it truly was the right thing to do.

With the exception of the tumor (I am so sorry to hear about that!), I have suffered from conditions similar to your dog's and I can tell you they are far more than "discomfort." At the time that my condition made itself known to me, I had been working all day, cleaning the lobby of the busy veterinary E.R. where I work, and chatting with the medical staff. One of our doctors saw that something was wrong with me and tried to urge me to go to the hospital. I kept telling her I was just fine - it was just bronchitis. I went home that night and had a heart attack but did not seek help until the following afternoon. Why did I not seek help? Because I was still certain it was "bronchitis." The worst bronchitis ever. They admitted me to a local heart health center where medical staff spent two days running tests and getting me stabilized before taking me in for emergency open heart surgery.

The reason I tell you about my crisis is to give you some insight to what your dog might have been feeling. The shortness of breath, weakness, light-headedness and other symptoms are frightening, but the pleural effusion was the worst pain I have ever suffered. Because I work in a veterinary E.R., we see many companion animals who come into the facility in cardiac/thoracic crises. Humane euthanasia is often the kindest thing that can be done for them. We humans are never, ever ready to say farewell to them, and it always hurts, but it truly is the kindest thing for those who love them can do for them at a time like this. My healing heart goes out to you.

Please try to release your feelings of guilt and the "coulda-woulda-shoulda" thoughts that can drive us mad. You did the kindest thing you could have done for your dear boy by releasing him from what pain he was feeling at the time and preventing him from going into full-fledged cardiac crisis which can be extremely painful and horrifying. You did what you did knowing it would break your own heart, and that makes it a very special gift indeed. 

I wish you a gentle path to healing from this sorrowful and troubling loss.
In one of the stars, I shall be living. In one of them, I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night. -- The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery

All tears are healing tears.  They help to wash away our sorrow and allow the first buds of happiness to blossom in our hearts. -- Susie "Squillions"

.T.J.'S RESIDENCY: http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm
.BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY: http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM
.KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY: http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm
A fresh start after 947 posts. March 7th, 2011. I've been coming to this wonderful site since April 6, 2004.
Quote 0 0
Beaglemomma
Oh dear.   I am so very sorry you are feeling guilty.  You have NO reason to feel like that but I understand completely.  Our Molly went so fast that I didn't have the decision you needed to make, but still I feel guilty too that I couldn't have made it easier on her.  She had a stroke and it was so fast.  We had just taken a walk and she was fine, then WOW.  Rushed her to the Vet and that was it.  No time at all it seemed, but she was 14 and there was nothing to be done at that point.  I wish you peace with your decision and know that what you did was done out of love.  Be good to yourself.
janice
Quote 0 0
AnneL
Hey you made the right decision. There are many dogs that are kept alive for its owner and not the dog itself.

A Pet's Prayer
If it should be, that I grow frail and weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then, you must do what must be done
For this, the last battle can't be won.

You will be sad, I understand
Don't let your grief then stay your hand,

For this day, more than the rest,
Your love and friendship stand the test.

We've had so many happy years,
What is to come can hold no fears,
You'd not want me to suffer, so,
When the time comes, please let me go.

Take me where my need they'll tend,
Only, stay with me to the end,
And hold me firm and speak to me,
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know, in time you will see,
It is a kindness you do to me
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Don't grieve it should be you,
Who decides this thing to do,
We've been so close, we two, these years,
Don't let your heart hold any tears.
Smile, for we walked together,
for a little while

Quote 0 0