too_soon_25
We never put my dog on a leash to take her outside at my parent's house (We have a fenced in backyard back home so she just never wore one.). We had let her out hundreds of times before without a leash as I got her while I was still in college and took her home every summer. 

I just had a baby and we went home to get him baptized. I took a nap after the days events and awoke to find everyone out looking for my dog. She had been let out and was chewing on a bone and the person went inside. She was forgotten about for no more than 10 minutes...something that had happen so many times before, but she never left. On this day however she did...and not only that but towards a busy road. I called immediately to report her missing and we searched. It wasn't until the next morning that I got the call that she was hit by a car.

Burying my sweet girl was the hardest thing I have ever done. I just cannot get over that I wasn't there to notice. The fact that I was sleeping while my little one was hit by a car just breaks my heart. She has been there with me through so much, and now my baby boy won't get to grow up knowing her. It is so hard for my family member that had forgotten about her too and I feel bad for them. I do not blame them but I cannot help but blame myself because I should have been there and awake for my little one. I know people will say not to blame yourself, but how can you not?

-Taken too soon-
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
I am so sorry about your girl.
This was a terrible tragic accident, with so many "what if's". The thing is, with accidents is that they happen out of the blue, when least expected, and there is no single cause. 
But I do understand the deep responsibility you feel, and my heart goes out to you.
Blessings to your girl's spirit.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 0 0
MySweetGirl_Bubbles
Kimberly Johsnon
Quote 0 0
MySweetGirl_Bubbles
I'm so incredibly sorry for your loss……..I understand your guilt!!

I rescued a "tort" cat and named her Bubbles back in July………She died Monday, she was hit by a car in front of our house.  Some people might call me crazy, but Bubbles and I had this incredible bond from day 1, even though I only had her for 4 months.  I'm so incredibly sad……….I can't eat, sleep, and keep looking for her even though I know she's not there. I keep asking why, oh why……..why did I fall asleep, why did I not do this or that……….

She's buried in the backyard she loved so much, right by the birdhouse she loved to stalk…….Everything in the house reminds me of her ( her favorite spot to sleep in the window, on the couch, on the dinning room table, on the bathroom vanity waiting for me to get out of the shower)…….I know that the life she had while she was with me was awesome, I know I made her feel loved…..but what she gave me was so much more than that…….I'm sooooooooo incredibly sad………….. :( :( 

Kimberly Johsnon
Quote 0 0
too_soon_25
Kim, I am sorry about Bubbles. I don't know about you, but it has helped me hearing that I am not the only one. It is just so strange to have this happen. I know it has been so hard for me as well. Not that it has made it easier, but having my newborn has made it so grieving is more difficult because you feel like you need to be tough for other people. 
I am sorry about your loss, and we can slowly start getting better together.
-Taken too soon-
Quote 0 0
Snicks3107
So sorry for your loss.  It is easy to tell you that you shouldn't feel guilty but I think if I was in your situation I would be feeling the same way.  I had to put my baby down on the 9th because apparantl she had tumors I didn't know she had so I feel guilty thinking there must have been signs I missed but the Vet assured me that there would have been no way to know since it was the type of cancer that "hides" and isn't known until the tumors burst which happened to my baby.  That was 3 weeks ago and I'm still riddled with guilt.  It will get easier to deal with each day.  All you can do is take one minute, one hour, one day, one week at a time.

Again, so sorry.
Shannon 
Quote 0 0
MySweetGirl_Bubbles
Dear too-soon and Snicks.......

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post. You're both so right; one hour, one day, one week at a time and all of us can slowly start to heal, together. I'm sure my pain is as yours is; there's such an incredible sadness, loneliness, I just can't seem to stop crying. I sleep with her favorite blanket at night and during the day, I can't stop looking out the window where she's laid to rest. My husband doesn't really understand ( he doesn't view animals as people) but tries to be supportive; I'm so thankful for this site.

Bubbles was my girl.....my sweet, sweet girl. I look forward to the day when I can remember her with a laugh and a smile, not endless tears.........

Kimberly Johsnon
Quote 0 0