chancesmommy
I had to put my furbaby down yesterday. I made a horrible decision that cause the loss of my baby. I was out of town from Friday afternoon until Sunday afternoon. My baby was diabetic. I gave her the insulin on Friday before i left. I thought since she was at a healthy weight and was back to herself that she would be ok without her insulin. I was so wrong. She was in shock when i got home. I took to the emergency where i had to put her down. My horrible decision cost me my furbabys life. The guilt is too heavy that I am feeling.
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Dear ChancesMommy,

Oh honey, I am so, so sorry for your loss and what your furbaby and you had to go through. That is so sad and tragic. Please remember, that you are not a Vet. As pet parents we are often counted on to administer medications to our beloved's and sometimes it does not go smoothly, especially when it comes to Diabetes. Which is very, very tricky as you know. Look at how human beings suffer with that condition and often perish, even when they are very, very careful.

Please try and be gentle with yourself and just continue to travel through time. Hopefully all that shall remain one day soon, are your fondest and most cherished memories of your sweet one. You will find that there are very kind, understanding, compassionate & loving people here on this forum. Welcome even under these heartbreaking circumstances.

Kind regards,
James
Quote 1 0
huckleberry1918
Don't beat yourself up over it. We've all made decisions that we wish we could have a do-over. I'm going through some horrible grief myself. I think it's best just to get the grief out, morn for a while, then go on with our lives. It's very tough, but that's what I'm trying to do. I'm not sure if my best buddy has passed away. He's been missing for over 3 days now. We've had two other pets in the past that have passed away and it is normal to blame yourself. Just remember that time heals everything and you'll never forget your buddy, but these sad and guilty thoughts will eventually turn into happy thoughts. 
Quote 0 0
Andee
I am so sorry for your loss of your beloved fur baby. I know we can't help but feel guilty when our fur babies pass on and we go over in our minds what we did or did not do in their regard. It is a natural part of grief. Diabetes can be a tricky disease to manage, you can be doing all the right things and something still goes wrong. You meant no harm to your fur baby. You loved her, took care of her, provided a nice home for her, and did the best you knew how. Try to be patient and forgiving of yourself as you work through your grief, you are not alone, we travel the path with you. Hugs 🤗 to you!
Furry Love Is Forever
Quote 2 0
just_lost
Oh, no...  I'm so sorry, chancesmommy.  I can only imagine how you must feel.  I hope that you can find some consolation here and in knowing that, like Andee said, you meant no harm to your furbaby.  Also, as others have said, diabetes can be difficult to manage in humans; it can surely be as difficult - and more - in animals because they can't tell us what's going on.

My heart breaks for you and your beautiful furbaby :(
Quote 0 0
chancesmommy
Thank you everyone for the support and encouragement. I’m trying so hard not to blame myself for such a stupid mistake. I don’t know why I convinced myself she would be ok. I keep thinking about how she was not well at all when i found her will not leave my mind. The guilt is so heavy on my heart.
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

I just lost a friend recently to Diabetes. He had just turned 60 years old and had a lot of plans still in his life. We spoke for awhile just a few hours before he passed away. I was the last person to speak with him that evening and we talked about some very heavy topics like death and if there is an afterlife, if Heaven was another dimension etc.

As you know Diabetes is a very complex illness and quite unpredictable for both humans and animals. He was managing his Diabetes as best he could, was on medication, watched his sugar level religiously, was even sitting in an Oxygen tent for therapy etc. and in the end none of that mattered. The disease still took his life. 
Quote 0 0
chancesmommy
I’m so sorry for the loss of your friend. You are right Diabetes is very complex and unpredictable. Thank you for your kind words and support.
Quote 0 0
pannklaus

I am very sorry about the loss of your precious furbaby.  But as others have pointed out, diabetes is a complex disease. 

We took care of our grandcat Milo at the end of my daughter's pregnancy and for awhile after she gave birth. Milo had diabetes and was on insulin. Since we are retired we could give insulin on exactly the schedule that Milo was supposed to get it all of the time.  We returned Milo to my daughter when she was able to care for him and his medical needs.  She was very careful about following the vets instructions exactly.  Still he died soon after he was returned to my daughter.  My daughter felt like there was more that she might have done.  But she had a good vet who was following Milo very closely.  The vet did everything possible as did the rest of us.

Insulin treatment doesn't always work even when it is given on schedule.  You did the best you
could given your circumstances and gave your baby love and a good home.  Try to focus on that rather than on the last few days of life.  Again, I am very sorry about your loss and  the pain you are going through.

Patsy
Quote 0 0
JJHolmes
Chancesmommy, my sympathies to you for the loss of your fur baby to the nasty disease of Diabetes. Oh, do not blame yourself, you did not create or give your baby this nasty disease. Diseases are unpredictable. We seldom know the when, where, how and what they will do to our pets. We love our pets, I know you loved yours. We do what we can and what we know how, to give them a good long life with us, but disease will confound us and take our pets away from us. It's not our fault. I know guilt is a part of our grieving, but please keep this basic knowledge of disease with you as you grieve and go easy on yourself. So sorry for your loss.

JJ
Quote 0 0