Donnamarie
Hello everybody I hope you are all well I am wondering if anybody that made the horrible decision to have there pets put to sleep due to a illness have felt guilt, see I an sick to my stomach I feel choked that my baby boy went into the vets tail wagging and kissing the vet and never came home, nazz had been diagnosed with lymphoma 8 weeks prior he had been fine his tummy had gone bigger and winced when the vet gave it a squeeze, I'm punishing myself what if he just wanted the toilet and now he's gone?? X
Quote 0 0
Coopster75
Yes I feel so guilty. My 6 year old dog hated the vets we had to push him in every time as he developed a fear of them from ripping dew claws. On Monday I took him as he wad been vomiting and has become lethargic , he is a big dog so i can't just pick him up. We had to push and force him across the car park into the vets. We then had to slide him across the floor into treatment room and then I had to leave him there. I left him laid on the floor looking up at me. Three hours later he was diagnosed with liver failure and at midnight I had him pts as he went down hill so fast and started having seizures. I hate that I forced him in there and he never left.
Quote 0 0
Leahbeahis
You cannot blame yourself. Life is harsh, bad things can happen to our fur babies. When they are sick and no longer living a gold quality of life, it is a loving thing for you to make the decision to end their suffering. To keep them alive when they don't have a good quality of life anymore would be selfish. It is a menacing thought to think you made the decision to end your fur baby's life, but really you are just trying to what's best given the cards you were dealt. We are fortunate to have the method of euthanasia to help our fur babies go peacefully instead of the raw way in which nature would've left them. You did right by your fur baby.
~ Leah
Quote 0 0
usnavy88
I just had to pts my Tanky on Wednesday and I feel the guilt like no tomorrow. She had a mast cell tumor that was debulked on the 15th of October. I had to take her into the Vets office every day to have the bandage changed. She would whine and cry so much so that I ended up having my brother take her because I could not bare to hear her. Well things ended up getting worse. The cancer had spread to her stomach and lungs unbeknownst to me. I called the vet on Monday because her leg had swelled. When I took her in Wednesday I never thought that she would not be coming back home. Now I question myself constantly. What if I didn't have that surgery done? What else could I have done? I think of her every day and miss her even more. I pray that we all find peace on the loss of our beloved pets and that one day the guilt will go away.
Quote 0 0
shantismom
My Shanti had pancreatic cancer but I wonder if he could have had some more time if he was on pain meds.  The last day of his life I gave him pain medication and he perked up but by then I had already spoken with the vet about putting him to sleep, now I wish I would have just kept him a while longer with me since the pain meds would have eased his pain.  Just crying now thinking about it.
Marlene Wagner
Quote 0 0
Dalidog
Shantismom...  you did what you thought best for your baby.  There is no time to let them go that would be enough time... 

Dali, as much a daughter as any human...  pure love
Until we meet again

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/DALI003/Resident.htm

Quote 0 0
MurphysMom_0831

Hi Donna,

I'm so very sorry about the loss of you precious boy. Many of us here have or still are experiencing guilt and asking ourselves a multitude of questions. I've had a terrible time with it. I wonder if I allowed the hospital to do too much, if Murphy's illness should have been caught earlier, if I did what Murph would have wanted as far as the surgery and all the treatment, if he thought I abandoned him those 13 long and scary days in the hospital, etc. I am so thankful he did know I was with him as he made his final journey, but those devastating images are burned into my mind. He was so terribly afraid of vets and strange people. It will haunt me the rest of my life that I was only allowed to visit once and that he wasn't able to go to the Rainbow Bridge in the comfort of his own home that he loved so much and where he felt so secure. When he went into the hospital I never could have imagined he would never come home again. The questioning seems to be part of this process when we are forced to make decisions we are never prepared to make. All we can do is our best based on the information we're provided.

The bottom line is that our furbabies love us unconditionally no matter what, and the time we have with them is an incredible blessing. We have to try and concentrate on that so we don't lose our minds. Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

Blessings,
Murphy's Mom (Kathryn)

"Sometimes there is a dog who is so special, he is able to wrap himself so completely around your heart it is impossible to tell where you begin and he ends."  For My Beloved Murphy, 08/31/2004 - 06/18/2014

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/MURPH121/Resident.htm

http://s327.photobucket.com/user/kathrynbrown1626/library/?sort=6&page=1
Quote 0 0
Ravensmommy
I understand EXACTLY how you feel.

My sweet Raven was diagnosed with lymphoma on a Wednesday. The vet told me that with the steroid she would have about six months. She was gone the following Tuesday. The lymph nodes in her neck were so enlarged by the cancer that she couldn't eat or drink and she was having difficulty breathing. I knew in my heart I couldn't make her suffer and watch her dehydrate or starve to death but I am wracked with guilt that I ended her life too soon. I miss her every minute of every day and have cried more in the last 18 days than I have in my entire life. She was my best friend for eleven amazingly wonderful years and I don't know what to do without her.
Mommy will always love you and keep you in her heart, my dear sweet Raven.
Quote 0 0
PeanutsMom
I too feel guilty but in my heart I know I did the best thing for my Peanut girl.  I thought long and hard before making the decision to send her to Rainbow Bridge and when the end came for her I knew I had done the kindest and most loving thing I could for her.  Guilt is a natural part of the grieving process and I think is probably the most difficult part to get over.  All of us who have had to make this decision ask ourselves "was it too soon" or "did I do the right thing".  When we take a fur baby into our hearts we make a silent promise to them to love and care for them.  This promise includes making the decision to let them go.  I know none of us would want our fur baby to suffer or be in pain and so the time comes when the decision must be made.  Try not to dwell on it, believe that you did what you felt was best at the time.  
Denise 

My sweet Peanut, you are the sunshine of my life and I will love you forever
Quote 0 0