Ronisia
Hi, I lost Dolce on November 6, 2019. Dolce was 8 and a half years old. He had bladder cancer and I had to put him to sleep. To say that it was painful is an understatement, but I feel now that I am working from home I miss him even more. It’s going to be almost 6 months since he passed and I feel like it hurst even more lately than before, or maybe it is just as painful and I can’t tell the difference.

I’ve thought about adopting or fostering but in my heart I just don’t feel ready, I feel like I don’t have a lot to give to another pet.

I also feel guilty, for not having spending more time with him, don’t get me wrong, I treated him like a king, but I have guilty. When I took him to the vet to put him to sleep I couldn’t say goodbye to him because I didn’t want him to feel like something was wrong, I wanted him to think that it was just a normal visit.

Any tips for dealing with loss and guilt will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Ro
Ronisia Marinho
Quote 0 0
Alanfar
I am so sorry to hear this about your sweet Dolce. It has been one week since I lost my Fancy . She was 11 years old, we had her for 5 as she was a rescue. I have never felt such grief before. I have found coming here and posting and reading has helped. Guilt is a normal feeling but none of should as we all did what we thought was the best.  I just tell myself we had Fancy for 43,800 hours and that out weighs those horrible last few.
When the time is right you will be able to think about adopting again. It is different for everyone. Stay strong and know the love you gave Dolce  was given back to you a 100 times over. They never really leave us.
alan farlowe
Quote 1 0
Ronisia
Thank you Alan 🙂 I really appreciate it and I am sorry about Fancy...
Ronisia Marinho
Quote 0 0
Pecan_mom

I am so sorry for your loss.  It’s been 33 days since our dog pecan suddenly passed away.  I know how you feel.  Please don’t feel guilty and be kind to yourself.  I felt really guilty for the first three weeks and now the guilt comes and goes but it’s not as bad as it used to be.  I miss her so much and I wish I could do more to save her.  I still cry everyday but every day I gain more strength. We all love our pets and they know it.  They just want us to be happy.  

Please take care of yourself.  

Time will heal. 

Sp
Quote 1 0
Deebee58
I lost my beautiful Sassy in April 2019 and still I feel the pain and from time to time I still cry my eyes out, however it us only once or twice a week now instead of every day. Like you I did not feel I could get another dog , it somehow felt disloyal to Sassy but after 6 months I did get another dog from a rescue shelter, I needed to move on and he needed a home so we are good for each other. He will never replace Sassy and it wouldnt be fair to expect him to but I have grown to love him. I couldn't bare the house being so empty any longer. 
I guess what I am trying to say is that there is no time limit on grief and you will know if and when you want to get another dog.
D a bryce
Quote 0 0