Nasus313
I thought writing in this forum may help my grief...So today we put our beloved dog to sleep. He wasn't feeling well and got worse over the course of the week to the point that today he couldnt even get up to walk. I never imagined my trip to the vet would end up with making the hardest and most gut wrenching decision. The xrays found fluid in his abdomen and even if we went for more aggressive diagnostics and treatment they only gave us a 50% chance he may make it through. Boozie gave us 10 great years and we didn't want him to suffer so I am sure we made the right decision. I feel such a void. My husband and I got him soon after getting married and we have 2 small boys that Boozie was a part of watching them grow. The house feels so empty and it breaks my heart to see my boys so upset. We are actually thinking to get a new puppy soon. No dog can replace our Boozie but I think giving a new puppy a home and making new memories can help the coping process.
Quote 0 0
LUCYLULU
I am very, very sorry for you. It is so wicked to have to make this choice. Your head is telling you that you made the right choice to end Boozie's pain & suffering. But the empty, hollow house feels like the hole in your heart. Take it one day at a time...for all of you. He was a part of you & your family. Boozie will always have a very special place in all of your hearts.

This forum really helps because we all understand your pain. I had to make the decision to take my 14.3 y/o Wheaten Lucy's pain. It's been a little over 3 months. And it's still wicked. I keep talking to her-- sometime silently-- most times aloud. Do anything that helps because these next days & weeks may be very hard.  Be kind to yourselves. Hugs, Kasey
Quote 0 0
Sasha
So sorry for your loss, getting a new dog would help your family and if you go to a shelter you could give some poor dog a loving home. I just had to put my 3 yr old cat Ollie to sleep yesterday and I'm devastated. He too had fluid in his abdomen from a horrible untreatable virus. He had 2 weeks of tests and was getting worse so to be kind to him it had to be done, I,ve just gotten up this morning and I miss him so much but I could not bear to see him suffer any more. Ollie got to me like no other pet and I thought we would have years together. Take care and when the time is right you will get the new dog that's meant for you

Annette
Quote 0 0
Nasus313
Thank you both and I am so sorry for your losses. I didn't think it would be so hard. I had a rough time sleeping and now having waken up without him greeting me, no dog to feed or let out is just so sad. My kids keep telling me how they miss him and if we ask really nice can heaven give him back. It breaks my heart. This seems harder than losing human family members. Sounds strange right? But its like no matter how we felt, they were there unconditionally with no attitudes or opinions. Boozie was the first one to greet me in the morning, when I return from work, and would even turn in in the evening when I did. I know it gets easier but he was 10 and was so healthy. It happened so sudden and I wasnt ready. I thought we would have a few more years with him.
Quote 0 0
julieme
I have been grieving for a month the loss of my baby Hoovie. Of three he was my favorite - a living teddy bear/ the other two are different. My husband's dog who is independant as heck. My old lab Bailey age 15 as alpha as ever.

Then I had a dream or vision. A being of light told me Hoovie was OK. I asked if he was happy and was told that I would not understand and the being could not explain. Then I was given a message that sounded exactly like Hoovie's words. "You know Dargo is smart, really smart and he's sad you don't love him as much. Yes Bailey is brave and in charge but she is also scared. They need you. Hoovie is fine you can stop crying"

Quote 0 0
Sasha
I understand what you mean when you say it seems harder ever than losing human family members. I lost my mam in 2009 and dad in 2011 and don't think I cried as much as losing Ollie. It's not something you can say to a lot of people so it's good to have this outlet. Anytime I returned home the first thing I did was look for Ollie and now I dread coming home and not seeing him. But it's my daughters 21st on Tuesday so I have to try pick myself up and I also have a lovely dog who knows something is going on so I have to try make time for her
Annette
Quote 0 0
JerseyNonna
aww so sorry to hear of your loss of boozie and please know that nothing you write here sounds crazy or strange to any one of us - we've all been or are still where you are grieving.  I am two months out from losing my dearly loved service dog roxie and while days are getting just that wee bit better there are still times where I just can not bear our separation.  as for grieving more for our loved companions than many of our human relatives I happily agree with you there as humans sometimes throw "conditions" into their love for us where our dear companions only offer us their unconditional love.  you have surely found a good place to be here surrounded by so many wonderful kindred souls who can testify that sometimes days are bearable, some take us right back to day one and then finally we see some filled with the light and love that our companions have left of themselves within our hearts.  we just need to get the point of grief where our hearts begin to open again for us to realize our loved companions are still with us watching over us...just in a different way, and that we will all see them again when it's our time to cross the bridge forever.  many many hugs to you and your family
JerseyNonna
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
So sorry on the loss of Boozie,  we lost our dog Jim 10 weeks ago today, and while I can accept he`d no longer with me I still have really bad days.  It must be heartbreaking for your 2 boys - asking if heaven could send him back, that`s  so sad.  I think the worst thing is the loss of routine - even today I was carving the meat for our Sunday roast and went to put some to one side for Jim.  
 I never felt as much grief as this when losing family members, but I think it is that unconditional love they give us, humans are much more complex.   This is such a helpful site to be on as we all understand how much our animals meant to us, and how much we are missing them.  
                Many hugs to you, Jackie.x

J Taylor
Quote 0 0
Camiz
Nas I just lost my girl a few weeks ago, the folks here have been very helpful in making me cope with my grief, guilt and everything in between. Hope you find peace in your heart. Sorry for your loss.
Quote 0 0
Nasus313
Everyone has been so kind and it's very helpful to hear from others who are experiancing the same thing. My eyes welt as I read all the kind words. I know it will get easier but I still get my moments. We are planning to adopt a puppy later this week. We will never replace our Boozie (he was our first baby before our babies) but we are looking foward to making new memories and bonds especially for the boys since they can grow together with a new dog. My heart goes out to all of you. Hugs, Susan
Quote 0 0
mybellabushy
I have 4 dogs well 3 since I lost my old English mastiff. I rescued her found her in the woods in upstate ny. She was 11mo when i found her I took care of her for 81/2 yrs. She got sick I was taking her to the vet she collapsed in my driveway what a heartbreaking experience. Yes I still have my other 3. I raised them from pups American Rottweilers. But she was so special I will miss till I get to the bridge. Get the family another best friend there's one out there looking to love you too. I hope you can heal I'm having a hard time too.
I had to put my oid English mastiff down yesterday Anna Bella the Ball I cant stop crying my heart is so broken
Quote 0 0
mandys_mommy
Hi Nasus313,
I am sorry for your loss. Our Mandy left us in October of last year. I miss her every day but I also decided to get another dog. She is from a rescue and the same breed. She is not replacing Mandy but just like you, i wanted to give a dog in need a home. She helps me every day, for me this was the right decision. Hope you will find peace in your heart and the strength and courage for the days to come.
Quote 0 0
MyTacoBaby
Nasus: It does seem harder than losing a family member...I haven't heard anyone else say that before. I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way. It could probably be that our little babies are actually like little babies to us. I've never had a child before, so you can imagine having a baby-dog almost 16 years, he "was" my little baby. After all, they are like people, only with 4 feet. My heart goes out to all of you who loved your fur-baby. I am feeling the pain with you. It's horrible. I'll never get over this, but I'm hopeful I'll be able to smile again some day. Right now it's hard to. I have his little cremains in his little box at my bedside. I can't sleep without him near. Terribly sad I know, but it comforts me some to know he's not left somewhere in another room. I know his little spirit is in heaven, waiting for me, but it hurts still to know I can't ever see or hold him again until we meet again.
Quote 0 0
lunarmoon64
I don't think its harder but I do think its different. animals seem to give us a different sense of comfort, i always felt at ease when my cat would be laying on my lap and i was petting her. I had to put my cat of 18 years to sleep two weeks ago tonite and its hard to fathom that she is gone and i hope one day i will see all my pets again.

dan kornstadt
Quote 0 0