Forum

Author   Comment  
luckygsmomma

Reply with quote  #1 

Not sure how to recover from the sudden loss of my 6 year old portuguese water dog "Lucky Girl" (she was diagnosed with large cell lymphoma) on 4/10 and was put down by 4/15. Every morning I wake up to her ashes sitting on my dresser and her sweet picture looking at me. I have a 5 year old son and husband that need me. I am still crying several times on a daily basis and hope I"m not sliding into a full fledge depression. She was my best buddie and we did everything together 24/7. She was my son's furry sister and he misses her too. I never expected to lose such a young dog and family member. Our breeder friends just had puppies last night and of course want us to have one. I want another pup, I'm just so scared that no other dog will every even come close to her. My heart is broken beyond belief. I have never lost a family member that I lived with 24/7. This is by far the worst loss of my life an I know that true animal lovers understand this (and many people do not) I loved my little girl as if she was my first born. I would have given anything to save her-I just couldn't. SO SAD ;-(

MagzMom

Reply with quote  #2 
I am sorry for your loss luckygsmomma.  I know exactly how you feel.  If you feel you are ready for another furbaby then you will know that.  another one will never replace Lucky girl, but people keep telling me it helps fill the void and a tribute to your lost pet.  I am not ready not sure if I will ever be.  Maybe one day I can so I won't miss out on this wonderful love we get from our pets and that a pet somewhere won't miss out on having me as a mom.  I wish you peace.
reovi

Reply with quote  #3 
I am so sorry to hear about Lucky Girl.  I still cry often and it has been 4 weeks since I had to put my boy down.  He, too, went down quickly, one day he could walk eat drink etc., the next day not.  The only thing that consoles me is that this isn't the end, and we will see them again.  That and I know my boy knew I loved him and that he loved me, and that he is back to his old self checking out squirrels and rabbits and watching the leaves fall like he loved to.  But yes, the grief is still so overwhelming at times, and I'm not sure you have to rush yourself getting over him.  I realize you have responsibilities to your family, but if you don't heal properly, I fear the grief may persist longer...   I, too, have thought about getting another, but I don't want to get another just to fill the void I have, because I'm not sure that would be fair and I know I wouldn't be giving my full attention and love to the new puppy, and I definitely don't want to be comparing the new one to Polar.  Honestly, I think you probably need to heal a bit, too, before you get another, but that is just my opinion.  I wish you happiness through your tears, keep coming back and posting about her, it may help you and of course we would love to hear about your baby.  I also recommend you submit her into the Monday night candlelighting service, it has helped alot of people here.
txgal

Reply with quote  #4 
It has been almost 4 months since I had to help my best friend of 15 years, Jake, cross the Rainbow Bridge.  Jake was 17 when he died of congestive heart failure and I miss him every day....I adopted Fritz, another miniature schnauzer from rescue, about 2 months after Jake died.  I purposely adopted one who was different in appearence from Jake to avoid comparisons....I love Fritz and having another dog helps but it is Jake that I still miss.  I am sure as time goes on it will get easier but don't withhold love from another deserving dog....I know Jake is looking down on me and Fritz...free from pain.....waiting at the bridge.....

I Haven’t Left At All

I saw you gently weeping as you looked through photographs
You paused for just a moment at one that made you laugh.
But as you turned more pages the tears began to flow
You whispered that you missed me but I want you to know;
I softly licked those stinging tears that down your cheeks did fall
I want to help you understand I haven’t left at all.

On those days that you are overcome with sorrow, pain and grief
I rest my head upon your leg to offer some relief.
When you take our walking path I’ve seen you turn around
Because I know you surely heard my paws upon the ground.

At night while you are sleeping I snuggle at your side
You stroke my fur as you touch that place where I used to lie.
You said it’s just your heart playing tricks upon your mind
But rest assured I’m really there, my spirit’s left behind.

I know your heart is hurting; it’s like an open sore
You think my life has ended and you won’t see me anymore.
But for those of us bound tight by love, death is not the curtain call;
It’s really the eternal beginning that waits for us all
So, dear Master as you live your life I patiently await
For us to be together when you pass through Heaven’s gate.
p_im

Reply with quote  #5 

luckygsmomma, I am so sorry for your loss...I just lost a stray bird that I have been feeding for some weeks, and I have lost many furry and feathered babies over the years...it’s very tough, very painful...something of a private hell... probably something more painful was destined for her and God meant to reduce the pain by taking her away so soon, maybe God needed your baby to be a friend to the other babies in His garden.... I am sure your baby is in a much better world now...she was truly blessed to have known you...

JoeysMom

Reply with quote  #6 
Dear luckygsmomma~
A new baby won't crowd out Lucky Girl from your heart~your heart will expand and make room for it.
It's been over two months since I lost Joey and I'm still sniffling, but starting to want another pug to love. Some people go for a different breed than their departed fur-baby, other's stay with what they know. I'm getting a little girl this time.
You say you want a puppy, which is the first step. I know that Lucky Girl wants you to be happy. If you decide to get one, although Lucky Girl will never be replaced, the love you had for her will carry you through.
Please post pictures of Lucky Girl and the new baby, too.
May her memory remain for a blessing~

luckygsmomma

Reply with quote  #7 

Thank you all for your beautiful thoughts and words, especially txgal's I haven't left at all. Each day gets a litttle better. I just can't believe she is really, really gone. I want to see that smile and have her burp in my face again. I never realized how much I loved that silly burp. I love you luck,luck. Miss you so much!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.