kisangani
It's been a little over 2 months since the death of my Siberian husky/Keeshond mix Gemini. I really thought that by now I would feel at least a little bit better about accepting my dog's passing. But instead, I feel just as miserable and depressed as I did the first week without him. Even more so, I find that the grief is particular intense when I see something that reminds of the fact that Gemini is no longer with me. This can be triggered by seeing a dog on the TV, hearing a dog bark, etc. Additionally, I have found it quite difficult to enjoy things lately that I used to find enjoyable in the past ever since Gemini passed away. He was my best friend all through my childhood and early adulthood and watching him decline physically knowing that there was nothing that I could do for him was almost more than I could bare. Being a fairly devout Catholic, I recently seeked out the advice of my local priest and asked him what is believed happens to the souls of dogs when they die. I was crushed to hear him explain to me that "only humans have souls and move on to the afterlife." I just feel so lost, isolated and nihilistic lately and don't know how/if this will ever change. I have also developed a drinking habit since Gemini's death, which I am particularly concerned about. I feel like there is just no better way to help cope with this pain. Thanks for reading my thoughts and any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Kisangani

Quote 0 0
RickH
Kisangani,

I truly feel your pain as I am going through the same thing with the loss of my cat Lily.  I also lost my childhood dog, Mocha, a few years ago and that pain was like a stab in the heart.

I am no priest but I do respect other people's beliefs.  That being said, I can't see how it's possible that the creatures who bring out the best in us don't have souls.  Unlike people, our pets love us unconditionally.  They are gifts from God.  They are part of us, they are in our souls, and thereby they must have souls.  My goodness, my pets make me feel closer to God.  How is it possible that He is not within these loving, kind, and loyal creatures?

That is my take on it, Kisangani.  I don't know if it helps or not.  I clicked on Gemini's image and what a beautiful dog he is - not was - is. I know how badly you want to pet him and have him lick your hand or your face right now.  The pain is excruciating I know but Gemini wants you to dwell on the good times and the joy you shared.  Be strong for his sake.

Take care and peace be with you,
Rick

Quote 0 0
Wileykitten
what a beautiful dog xoxo im so sorry u lost ur friend. U had a long life together and I can see how much u love him... I truly believe u will see him again one day. I often wonder about people who think animals don't have souls... I think as God's Creations, they do and I know in my heart that when they pass, Jesus welcomes them and cares for them while they wait for us. Jesus is the Savior of the world... not just people. I have seen Him in the face of my animals and many I see out and about. Please find comfort in knowing u loved ur dog enough to end his suffering and he is whole and healthy again in Heaven waiting for u...

Praying Gods Peace upon u xoxo
Stacie
Quote 0 0
BradsMum
Kisangani,

I too feel your pain and am also going through a nightmare since the disappearance of my wonderful cat, Brad, one month ago.  I am not a member of the clergy either but this whole awful experience has in some way been more of a religious experience than the death of my beloved parents.  I have prayed more in the past month than in my entire life previously.  My prayers are not only to keep Brad from suffering at the hands of a multitude of predators but also asking him to forgive me for my carelessness which put him in harm's way.

Gemini is beautiful and I hope that you will feel him close by and be comforted.  Please take care of yourself as your loving companion would want you to do.  This forum has really helped keep me from going into a complete depression and I hope it helps you too.  For a month I have read the stories of those who have gone through loss and have managed to hold on.  As others on here have said it is sometimes difficult for those who are close to us to understand the depth of our suffering and sometimes they just lose patience with us, but the people here know what we are feeling and how we are suffering.  My thoughts are with you and others who are going through this pain.

Faye
[image]  [image]  [image]  [image]  [image]  [image]  l
Quote 0 0
Cindysandpatches
Genesis 1:21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moves, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good. Job 35:11 Who teaches us more than the beasts of the earth, and makes us wiser than the fowls of heaven and that is just a few. Animals have souls why would god put so many verses about them in the bible. I hope this helps I just lost my patches of 19 years. She was was my caring companion and I know I will see her again 
What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Charles Dickens
Quote 0 0
Pattyk62
So sorry for the loss of your dog. I just lost my dog a month ago. I do believe God has my Libby. I do believe they have souls because of their unconditional love towards us. They're smarter than some people, they sense danger before humans even know what's going on. I believe Jesus has our pets and all the pets who never had homes, ones that were neglected and abused. My Libby was a 2 lb Chihuahua. She was so special cuz she was so tiny. We had her for 5 yrs. Now she's with God and we have her ashes. It's still hard for us too. Ask God to help you with the pain. He counts your tears and knows your pain. My daughter and I cry at least once a wk still. I'll pray for you to have peace that you will know she's in Heaven running around eating all the dog buisuits she wants. God Bless and Peace .,,Patty K.
Quote 0 0
JanV
My heart goes out to you. Grief is a rough road and unfortuneatly has been a major part of my adult life. There's no time limit and the fact that you are here for support shows that you want to move through it. I promise that in time the pain will change to something else but it's hard for us to see that right now as we are in the throws of deep loss. Did you ever hold Gemini and just look into his eyes? Mati always cuddled up on my chest and she would stare into my eyes as though I was her entire world. I completed her, that's what she was telling me. Does she have a soul? She IS a soul and so is Gemini! The purity of these animals is something mankind needs to learn from and I believe they come to us to teach us unconditional love. This is what I believe to be true Godliness.

Be kind to yourself, that is what Gemini would want. We have to be as good to ourselves as we were to them. We'll all get through this.

Hugs and Peace...
Jan
Mati's Mama Forever
Quote 0 0
kisangani
Thank you all for your nice replies. I am very sorry that you are all coping with the loss of your beloved pets as well. Your comments have been very supportive to me during this difficult time:)

Kisangani

Quote 0 0