Ollies_Mom
On December 19, 2015 we said goodbye to our dear sweet little Oliver. He was the best dachshund we ever knew, full of fun personality and love! Ollie was attacked by a feral cat a few weeks prior, and suffered several bite wounds on his ears, nose, abdomen and tail. His wounds were not life threatening, but I called our vet immediately and they told me how to clean his wounds. I bathed him and held him while he trembled. He walked gingerly for a few days, but seemed to make a full recovery, or so we thought. Then Ollie began to struggle with walking a little, and had trouble going up one step to get into our house, and within a few hours he was walking with a hunched back, and I felt spasms along his spine. By the time we got him to our vet he was experiencing loss of feeling in one leg and weakness in the other. Our vet prescribed meds and complete crate rest for 6-8 weeks, but within two days Ollie was completely paralyzed. He had no pain sensation, no bladder or bowel control. I changed his bedding every few hours, and cleaned him up as well. He didn't want to eat much and seemed to just give up. (This was not Ollie's first experience with IVDD. We adopted him from a rescue who saved him from a high-kill shelter, where he was dumped with no history and no name. Shortly after we adopted him he experienced an episode. Our vet felt this was not his first episode, but we wanted to try to help him recover, so crate rest and meds were prescribed. He recovered, but his back seemed unstable at times, and he experienced two more mild episodes). We refused to give up on him though and took him back to the vet. She examined him, and told us that his IVDD would not allow him to ever walk again, his tail would not wag, and he was so unhappy. But were we doing enough? She could see my heartache and I saw the compassion in her eyes. "Ollie lived a difficult life, and he's ready. Holding on would be selfish. You gave him a good fight and he loves you." My husband and I wept as we made the decision to say goodbye. I embraced him for the last time, Ollie kissed me, and he was gone.

That was almost three months ago. I felt numb the first few weeks, and cried almost daily. Now I can talk about him with a smile, as I have so many fond memories of Ollie. I began to think, maybe it's time to adopt again and so I began my quest to find another dachshund to love. After a few weeks with dead ends and little luck, I finally found one that I fell head over heels with his picture and sad story. The adoption application was processed, home visit went well, but ... he went to another home where adopted Mom would be home all day. I know the rescue made the right call as he had been ignored by his previous owner (who needed to crate because of a hectic schedule and willingly turned him over to rescue) and followed foster mom everywhere, so a 24 hour mom was ideal. But I was devastated and cried all day today. I never expected to feel such a loss over a dog I hadn't even met. Just when I thought I was ready to love again, my heart experienced this loss. I know one day the right doxie will come along, but for now the grief rolls on ...
Quote 0 0
camunki
ooooh how i feel your pain. Three months is still new. Your lil' ollie was a cutie pie, and i am so glad you were able to spend your last
moment with him, loving him and letting him know how important he is.

It is sad when things happen so quickly with our beloved pets, seems like there is no turning back, and I too wish i could hold onto the last moments forever, i wanted time to stand still.

I too lost my Munk on Dec 3rd 2015...and it was one of the worst times in my life, knowing that there was *nothing* i could do to save her...so i loved her til the very, very end.

I too am dealing with 15 weeks rights now, i cry everyday, yet i talk to my baby everyday too and try to remember the good times...tears flow cuz i miss my girl.

I adopted, from TX a "death row pup", and so glad i saved her....Ollies Mom, do not give up!! there are so many dogs that need adoption and so many that get put down, cuz there are not enough people to adopt and overpopulation of dogs. I sent out so many applications and was accepted to be an adoptee for 3 different companies......please don't give up, keep filling out applications and when you rescue a beloved soul, your heart will be ready to love again!

Cam

Quote 0 0
Beaglemomma
I'm afraid that I have NO knowledge of what IVDD is but it sounds AWFUL.  I just looked it up and indeed it IS awful.  I go to a chiropractor all the time and would have taken Molly too, if her problem had been in her spine.  She had severe allergies which our Holistic Vet was able to clear to make her comfortable.  We did conventional drugs when needed for comfort as well.  I think you did all you could and it was just  his time. 

As much as we would want to have them with us as long as WE are alive, it is not to be and that is one more question on my list to ask when the time comes.

You did the right thing for the baby you loved.  Your heart is big and I am sure you will love again when the time is right.  Take your time and be extra good to yourself during this time.  Grief has its own timetable and apparently there is no rushing it.  Molly left me at Thanksgiving and I am barely better at all.  It took me 6 weeks before I could see enough to even navigate the web site much less type.

Take care.
janice
Quote 0 0
JerseyNonna
Ollie's mom, i'm so sorry that your sweet Ollie passed as he did and also how much you hurt.  my service dog roxie passed dec 26th a few minutes before 8pm and I still have my bad days of grief so I've decided just to take it as it comes and not have any predetermined timeframe of "when I should be done grieving" as most others feel we should.  Ollie will nudge you to the "right rescue", have no doubt about that as our fur-babies want all of us to love another again as we love them.  as Janice says - take your time and be extra good to yourself.  our babies would never want to visit and see us stuck in life without them but will always be the light and love that shines from within our hearts where they put the love they have for us deep inside for our safekeeping.  Ollie most surely left his love in your heart where you could always feel it until you meet again.  many many hugs sweetie
JerseyNonna
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
So sorry, Ollie looks such a beautiful little dog, and how very kind you were to have adopted him from the shelter.    We adopted our dog Jim from a rescue when he was 4 months old, and lost him 13 weeks ago age 17.  There is something so special about rescue dogs, they seem to know they have been given another chance and give so much love in return.  We also stayed with Jim as he was put to sleep, the hardest thing I`ve ever had to do. 
 I understand your grief over the failed adoption - you are still grieving Ollie, but keep on trying.  When we decide to get another dog, it will definately be from a rescue.

Take care, Jackie.
J Taylor
Quote 0 0
Taffe
Ollie's Mom, you saved your dog.... I am sure that Ollie realized how much you loved him and looked after him when he had health problems.   I'm not sure what age he was when he was adopted but the IVDD sounds like it went way back before the adoption - back in his history?   My dog, Taffe, was attacked by a GSD off its leash and I had to live with that trauma and regret of not preventing it.   I hate to think about it.   I think it's nice that you want a new Dachshund.   These small dogs need nice owners to help them - they are very vulnerable.   I still remember the one that sat on its owner's lap on a bus ride across from me.    If you have to worry about adoption places not placing a dog with you because you're not home all day, you could try to find a reliable and dependable sitter, a family member, friend or someone you trust to watch the dog when you're not there?   It's just an idea.   I hope we can grieve but cope.  
Quote 0 0
EM
I have a question regarding this. Is it possible for a cat bite or dog bite to cause a longterm ailment such as the ones you are talking about or something different? My pooch was bit by fleas two summers ago and then he was scratched by a cat around that time too. We got him to the vet and treated with antibiotics and then he had a very fine recovery. Eight months later though he started getting symptoms similar to what you are describing and then approximately six months after that he passed. His prostate was unusually large when he passed and the vet said it was cancerous. He was very elderly and very large, so I'm sure it may have been a coincidence but after reading your comments here I'm very curious. If you can give your opinions I'd really appreciate it thanks!
Quote 0 0
Taffe
Hi, EM, I think it's best to ask a Vet.   But, imho, I think a bite could be a factor for some health issues but only if it's really serious so for e.g., a very serious puncture wound.   But, I think other factors would contribute more.   I don't think fleas or cat scratches would do anything serious.    I know some people who own dogs and they have more than one female and they occasionally fight.   There have been some bad wounds but they are young and they probably recover.    It also probably depends on the condition and age of the dog?

My Taffe was attacked by a GSD years ago and I don't like to think it had long-term effects but he also had other health issues at the time.   Of course, it's best to try and prevent other animals from harming your pet and to try and ensure their good health throughout their lives.   If I brushed Taffe's teeth every day and was more observant and anticipated irresponsible owners, maybe I could have prevented some of these issues?   Also, it took me a long time to find a good healthy diet but I feel like I did in his last years.  
Quote 0 0
EM
Yeah, I totally agree with you with everything you just said. I'll certainly ask some vets more questions. Your experienced based opinions though sound very logical, so I'm very reassured by them! My pooch was bit by an off leash dog many years ago and it eventually healed and he was fine. More recently though with the scratch, it was treated and he seemed to also make a full recovery from that too. I recently learned from a close acquaintance who is a retired pathologist that with age these kinds of things are inevitable, due to the weakening of the immune system and such. It's always smart though regardless of age to stay proactive with safety precautions. Your advice is excellent so thanks!
Quote 0 0
Bailey15
Ollie's mom,
I just read your story and it was heartbreaking! It was wonderful that you rescued him and I know he had such a great life with you. It's so unfortunate that he got sick and you and your husband tried everything but when his pain was too much you gave him the greatest gift of all. You let him go.
I'm sorry it didn't work out with the rescue dog but I think it's wonderful that your heart is open again. I'll be sending you lots of positive thoughts to speed the arrival of your new best friend!!
MJ :)
Quote 0 0
maryellen1952

IVDD is Intervertebral Disc Disease and common with Dachshunds due to their unnatural elongated back.  I have had several Pekingese that had this and usual the only solution is surgery but It is expensive and man people can't afford it so the vet will treat with medical management.

there are tons of info on Google search.  Do not let a dog jump or climb on stairs, furniture, etc. As It aggravates the situation which many petowners fail to do.  I always carried my dogs rather than allowing them to climb or jump anywhere.

Quote 0 0
Taffe
I agree with the above.   Don't let them jump on or off places/things.   Also, try to make sure you know where your dog is walking at all times -  dogs can slip outside, inside, anywhere.   Outside:   curbs, stairs, even vehicles.   Inside:   stairs, furniture....My dog had fallen on two different occasions and slipped a disc in his back.    He didn't have IVDD, though, and from what I read on that, it can be prevalent in Dachshunds and Beagles, to name two breeds of dogs.  

Also, the weight must be watched as overweight dogs are more susceptible to IVDD, I think.  
Quote 0 0
EM
I'm very confused considering that my pooch was old and huge and he jumped like a deer or a bear or a horse on and off of furniture and fences etcetera for well over a decade. Just last summer though he started showing signs of some kind of joint problems but evidently it was diagnosed as an unusually enlarged prostate that was supposedly causing the symptoms.
Quote 0 0