Lelly
New here...happy to have found this. A vet visit on Saturday resulted in us having to have our 9 year old baby boy put to sleep. I am devastated. I’ve never felt so heartbroken in my life. This may sound awful but I’ve dealt with deaths of people but this  just feels so much more painful. I’m in agony. It’s only been a couple of days and I’m not doing well. I miss him so much. 
Quote 0 0
Buddy_Mama
Lelly, welcome. I'm so sorry for the loss of your baby. I know the devastation and agony you're feeling. What you wrote is so similar to what I've been going through for the last 6 weeks, right down to "9 year old baby boy." I too have never felt so heartbroken either, and miss my baby boy to the depth of my soul.

No, it's not awful to feel that this is more painful than the deaths of humans we know - it actually makes a lot of sense. Someone said the same thing to me right after I lost my Buddy, and noted, "Animals are more kind, aren't they?" And my husband added, "They love unconditionally." This is a safe place to express how you feel, and be understood.

Please be sure that you're eating, doing your best to get decent sleep at night, and keeping occupied during the day as much as you can, with work or other things - even if those things feel meaningless now. Taking care of yourself and having a routine will help you get through this... one day, even one hour at a time. Sending you hugs...
Cindy (Buddy’s mama)
My baby Buddy 5/4/10-3/7/20, rescued March 2011
My sweet Mandy 11/27/91-11/2/10, rescued November 1992
My beautiful Barney 4/28/73-9/7/92, adopted May 1973
Quote 0 0
rachmichelle47
Hi, Lelly. Writing this in the middle of the night after waking up and feeling stricken with grief. I just lost my baby, too. Agony is the right word. Pets give us such an innocent and pure love. My Perry woke up every day thinking it was a good day, with an open and loving heart. I’m so incredibly sorry you are going through this as well. The physical pain is so intense. Please reach out if you ever need extra venting or a shoulder to cry on. 
Quote 1 0
JulieF
So sorry for your losses.  When the pain is fresh it seems like there is no end and all you can think about is your baby and the grief of not having them around anymore.  This forum is a great place to open up to others who know exactly how you feel.  Do not feel guilt for any emotion you are feeling right now.  The first days are so tough as you navigate, for many of us, new emotions that are very painful.  We can't sleep or eat, can't concentrate, our lives are turned upside down.  To make matters worse, we have everything going on around us.  

It has been just over two weeks for me and I wake up each morning feeling overwhelmed by grief and guilt.  I wish I could go back a few weeks to when he was still alive.  But that cannot be.  So, I try to get through the morning and the day.  Some days are better than others - some days are half good.  I have been able to smile when I think of him - I just miss him so much.  The house is not the same.

Best to you both.  Buddys momma is right about having a good routine to get through this - it will help a lot.

Hugs.
Quote 1 0
The5ofus
Lelly, we had the same thing happen to us-a visit to the vet on Friday resulted in us having to put our 14 year old Pug to sleep on Saturday.  
There was really no time to process this-I'm still in shock.  Although our dog died peacefully, I have been feeling tremendous guilt since then.  I totally understand what you are saying in that this loss seems to be more painful than the loss of people. Pets are pure and love unconditionally.  
Not sure how to get through this, but support from others is a start.  God bless you and my thoughts are with you.
Quote 1 0
Alanfar
Lelly, everyone here knows exactly how you feel. I lost my Fancy on April 16th . She was fine and it the space of a few hours she was gone. I have felt guilt for not doing more or not being more proactive. These are all natural and the wonderful people on this forum have helped me so much. I too have grieved more for Fancy than I have people. Even my parents it feels like. I told my brother about this and he said that Fancy's love was unconditional. She just wanted to be with you and make you happy. 
Some days will be better than others . Grief is a wave that just overcomes you. I know you did all you could and your pet knew that too. Like you I am distraught, my daughter is too as it was her best friend. We talk about Fancy everyday. Just coming here and posting an reading helps so much. You are in my prayers.
alan farlowe
Quote 1 0
Lelly
I can’t even begin to tell all of you how grateful I was to wake up and see all these messages. I try to keep myself busy during the day but nighttime when I’m trying to sleep is the worst. I can’t shut my brain off and every time I close my eyes I can just see him laying there during his last moments. My 11 year old and I were both in with him as he passed so I’m also trying to help her with her grief as well as well as the other people who live in my house as well. All of your messages of support are helping me cope with this loss and I appreciate every single one of you. I’m glad to have found this community and am sending all of you lots of prayers and good thoughts for what all of you are going through. Thanks again everyone. 
Quote 1 0
Alanfar
Lelly
I know how you feel. We are all grieving the loss of our Fancy. My daughter will be 21 in a week and this has been so hard for her. I tell her there is no right or wrong way to grieve. Just let in happen. 
It is hard to get past those last minutes. I try to remember that we had Fancy for the last five years as she was a rescued dog. In those 5 years she gave up so much love and wonderful memories and that outweighs that last day. I just wish we had here when she was younger but she came at the right time.
Sending prayers to you and your family
alan farlowe
Quote 1 0
The5ofus

I, too, am reliving the last moments with our Frank.over and over.  The song Go Rest High On That Mountain came on the radio while he was under anesthesia right before the vet gave Frank the final shot.  I thought that was a sign that God was getting ready to come and get Frank.  He went so peacefully which is such a blessing.  I had never put a dog under before so I'm struggling with guilt, yet I also think of his last days when he wasn't himself and am starting to feel better that he isn't in pain anymore.  It's hard when you're trying to comfort others and be strong for others when you are struggling yourself.  God bless.

Quote 1 0
Amararata
With people passing away, at least there is closure...with pets, there is no closure. I feel so heartbroken as well and my heart goes out to you. It must've been devastating for it to happen so quickly...I'm sure you didn't even have time to comprehend what was happening before he was put down. 

My little baby passed away a few days ago and I'm in so much pain right now, I just want a do over of the last three months. I miss her so much, she was my little animal soulmate. 
Quote 1 0