Sadiesmom061308
It has been 2 months since I had to put my Sadie down . I am doing better . Not crying every single minute. The grief is always there. Reminders always there. It feels like a fight everyday to exist without her. I know the intense pain subsides. The joy is just not there. I miss that unconditional love. We will get another dog maybe in September. I just am trying to convince myself that I won't always compare the new dog to Sadie. No one can ever take her place. Lots to think about.
Any words of wisdom appreciated.
Tammy
Quote 0 0
catlover1
Hi Tammy,

I have been without Cody for over 3 months now. I am in the same boat as you. I am not living I am merely just existing. I go out and do things with friends but nothing excites me. I do not feel happiness I only feel loss. I remember how great life was and I can imagine how happy I'd be right now if Cody was still here. I wish I had some words of wisdom for you but unfortunately I do not. We got another cat a couple weeks ago. It was definitely too soon but I feel it is wrong to give him back for that reason. He is still not getting along with our resident cat. I hope they can work out a mutual agreement of some sort because I'd hate to give him back. It would be like another loss on top of the one I already have. I know that the pain would not be as bad and would not last very long but it would still be a depressing experience. 
Quote 0 0
Eddiesmom
I'm sorry both of you.

Tammy in the past when I have lost beloved dogs I have done it both ways, one where I didn't get a dog for a long time and 2. I got one fairly soon afterward because of an abuse/neglect situation.  I will tell you that because they all have such different personalities that in time you will not compare to Sadie.  You might the first month or two because they don't know how to fit right in as our beloved pets did, we were in a routine with them but once the new pup gets into her routine you will stop comparing.

Between waiting and not, for me, getting another dog, particularly a rescue, helped me heal much faster than when I waited.  I wasn't replacing my beloved dog but I was filling that horrible void in my heart and also when busy with the new dog you can't help but start living again.  I always felt that my dogs that crossed over would be pleased that I was rescuing another dog that might be in a bad situation.  

Peace.
Sue E
Quote 0 0
Bailey15
Hi Tammy,

Like catlover1, I too felt like I was merely exiting (just going through the motions) and not really living for quite some time after we lost Bailey.

I've recently been thinking about writing one more topic about my journey since Bailey died - with an update of recent positive events! I hope it is helpful (particularly to people who are 'stuck' as I was in this terrible grief) After just reading your post I've decided to go ahead! (I really do agree with what Eddiesmom said.)

I'm so sorry you are still in so much pain Tammy. I know how terrible it is and I really hope you are able to find some peace.

Hugs and prayers!
MJ
Quote 0 0
CK1991
Hi Sadiesmom,
I want to express my condolences for the pain you are feeling after losing your beloved Sadie!
It really does take time and it sounds like you are starting to heal but I'm sure you would like this to just go away. Grief is so hard and so very draining!
Bailey15, I read your thread on Bailey and will be interested to check out your update!
Sadiesmom, hoping you are able to find peace soon! Big hugs to you!!
CK
Quote 0 0
jimmy17
 Hi Tammy, I`ve just written to your reply on my thread - virtually on the same topic. I have to say Catlover1 expresses the way I think a lot of us here are feeling - it really seems like all the happiness has been sucked out of life,  and as you say, each day is so hard existing without that special little friend to lighten your day. I know these feelings are all a part of the long grieving process - its now coming up to week 19 for me, and hopefully if or when we get another dog, it will help to heal a little more. 
  Wishing peace and healing to everyone here.
                                                           Hugs Jackie

J Taylor
Quote 0 0
LUCYLULU
Hi Tammy~  I am sorry but I also understand. It's longer for me-- just past 5 months and I still have those empty feeling times. Last night I went to dinner with friends. Great time. Lots of laughing & fun. Coming back home-- ugh. All I know-- is that I am very glad to have found this forum...where everyone 'gets it'. And I hope that each day gets a bit better for you. Hugs, Kasey
Quote 0 0
JerseyNonna
tammy, I also understand how you feel.  to me the grief is like an oppressive shadow that lingers around me sucking what little life or happiness might be still found deep within me.  I've managed a few days where I found my laughter again but it never lasts and I just can not seem to find happiness much at all these days.  i'm sure one day the grief will begin to lift away to where only love and happiness remain.  but it is so hard when the one missing from your daily life meant so darned much to you, especially when it happens suddenly and thought you had so much more time to spend with them.  I thank God for leading me to this forum every single day because without you all i'm not quite sure I would have managed to pull myself out of the darkest grief yet.  many many hugs and prayers for all of you here and thank you all!
JerseyNonna
Quote 0 0
Sadiesmom061308
Hello all,
Thank you so much for the words of support. I too am so glad to have found this site. I have come to think of us as a big huge family. I am an only child and still at 55 years of age, I love big families. I hope and pray our babies are ok and playing together. I hope they have found comfort from each other as we have here.
Hugs, peace and healing
Tammy
Quote 0 0