Flike
My 16 year old kitty passed on Friday 7/10. As C.S. Lewis so aptly said: "No one ever told me grief felt so like fear." Fear that borders on panic. I want to drive out to the crematorium now at 2 am and retrieve her lifeless body. I want to hold her up to my face one last time and breath in that wonderful scent her coat gave off. Is there a more glorious smell in the universe? Even coffee has to take a back seat to that. I remember burying my nose in my dog's fur when he was alive. Discreetly, of course. God, it was glorious. Intoxicating. For all of you with a support system count yourselves lucky. Mine deserted me. A "friend" of 20+ years was a bitter disappointment. I am alone now with this gnawing pain. Still, I thank God for blessing me with my irreplaceable Betty and for the profound comfort she gave me on this cold, incomprehensible planet.
Quote 0 0
MyBella
I am so sorry for the loss of your precious Betty, the ache and pain your heart feels wanting to hold your treasured loved one once more is so hard on us, we all only wish for that last hug and cuddle. I know exactly what you mean by that beautiful scent they give off, I miss the smell of Bella more than I ever realized I would, I have some of her blankets on my bed, just so I can smell her, but it's not the same.

You now have an unlimited amount of new friends on here, no one will ever abandon you, we are all here for you any time of the day or night. We all understand the grief and pain you are suffering, the people on here are so wonderful and so understanding.

I am so, so sorry for your loss. Sending positive healing thoughts your way.

Sincerely Don & Vera
Quote 0 0
Flike
You're the only one who responded. So much for "unlimited friends."
Quote 0 0
sarahjean
So sorry for your loss. I just joined a minute ago. Posting to you is my first ever here. As yours is the first I read and was compelled to reply. Being new here I can't say why more replies but I would imagine many are lost in their own grief. I as well came here looking for camaraderie and support. My loss was just a month ago last Friday. I was tearing for myself that got me to sign on but tear for you as well now. I miss my guy so but you remind me how raw that first week was after and felt like one of the loneliest times in my life. I am still so extremely sad but it is a bit better. I miss him so terribly. But the tears are getting more gentle now and even sometimes with a smile as I look at photos or a video. I still flood indeed at times indeed. I was just 5 minutes or so ago. We all need to heal in our own way.

I wrote something so similar of my feelings on fb to how you feel in both your posts here. I wrote how alone I am, no friends and more, again as I said similar to you. I guess it's my way of telling you are not alone. There are so many, so sad to say in the same boat as you. (and I) Don't let lack of responses be a sign of uncaring at all. I imagine being the kind of site this is, it is very caring. People like I said above may be lost in their own world of grief or just not even know what to say. I  know I didn't know what to say either. i just started typing from my heart. 

You wrote Betty is irreplaceable. I get that so much. I have had a few cats in my years and non was as special as my Goof. A few people are saying to me (people who don't get it) go get another one... you'll be fine. I was going to copy some of what I wrote elsewhere here I guess to show you I get it. To be honest... I just can't right now. It makes me too sad. But just know I get it. 

I hope you can feel your love from your Betty. The kind of bond and love you wrote about, I am sure she is sending it to you and with you if even not physically. I wish you as much peace as you can have at this time. Your wounds are so fresh now. It is so sad. I truly do cry for both of us now. It does get a wee bit better. I know hard to believe now, but it does. I actually chuckled at him a few times in watching the video of him before I came here. Before I started sobbing yet again. But there was some feeling of joy in the great life we had together and gave each other. Even though missing him so... I felt blessed I had the time I did. *sigh*

Wishing you well {HUGS} Truly my thoughts are with you

Missing my Goofy. 18+Years of love. 
This cat has wings. I am sure of it:)
Quote 0 0
Manjack
Flike,
First of all please let me tell you how sorry I am for your loss. Reading your post I was transported back to 3 months ago when I lost my beloved dog.
I recall all too clearly the fear, panic, , desperation and many, many other emotions that I was unable to control.i was not sure at the time if these feelings were normal or if I was the only person who felt that way. That is when I found this forum and was reassured by reading that I was not alone.
I have also done a lot of reading on pet loss and grieving. I do not have a support system either and I live in a rural area.

Although I am sure it does not feel like it now it will not always be this painful. I am still sad and miss my dog but that raw, desperate feeling has subsided. I can now think of him and smile (sometimes). There is no formula and no timetable for mourning as each person does so in their own way.

i think that we are forever changed by having had these beautiful creatures in our lives. In my grief journey I am trying to take the love I have for my dog and spread it around to other animals and people who need some caring.

The first couple of weeks are rough. Be kind to yourself. Take the time to mourn your loss. If you read posts from people who have lost some time ago perhaps it will help you have hope that it will get easier in time.
Quote 0 0
Mswmare
I'm so so sorry, Flike. I know the grief you feel for your Betty. I am sitting here, the sun is coming up, and my tears are falling for my Sophie dog. We lost her 8 weeks ago, and after 14 years with her, I'm lost. I'm sorry you don't have a support system. I am lucky that I do have people in my life, just a handful, but they are wonderful. However, I called my dad the night we had to make the decision, and I think that was the most I have cried to him in 41 years. His reaction, and continued reactions have made me sick. He knew how much my girl met to me, as my life has been rough, and she was my constant companion. His lack of compassion is cruel. I know that for your long time friend to abandon you is adding another level of pain to your already horrible time of grief.

I think sarahjean said it best....everyone here is grieving, and they are needing to come here in the early days. But, people stay, and they will help you. The people here are wonderful. I'm trying to get up the strength to write about my Sophie. I'm not quite there yet. I know she is with your Betty, as Sophie loves cats. I still have my cat, Bleu, here with me. She misses her sister.

Please keep coming here. Tell us about your Betty. Message me if you would like.

Hugs to you,

MaryBeth
Quote 0 0
Mswmare
Sarahjean, I am so sorry for your loss. You had so many years with Goof. He is beautiful. Please feel free to message me if you need to talk. Sending many hugs your way.

Manjack, my heart goes out to you. I am here if you need me. I'm reading about pet loss, too. And grief. It's a huge help. I never knew the emotions that I would feel, either. One book has you rate the bonding with your pet. I scored the highest level possible, which I'm sure you and many others here would find similar scores. Hugs.

MaryBeth
Quote 0 0
Mswmare
Don and Vera, I just want to hug Bella. Your posts are always comforting, and I know your loss is recent, too. Hugs to you.

MaryBeth
Quote 0 0