Mo
.I had to let my "Gracie" go Monday. She was 16yr old West Highland Terrier. My heart is broken and I'm feeling so guilty. I know she was ready, but I wasn't. My husband and I took her to the Vet...and I thought I could handle it...I stayed in the room for the 1st shot, but then I broke down and had to wait in the lobby...My husband stayed with her for the 2nd shot...Now how do I deal with not staying with her for the finally shot. I should have been there [1f641]:( please help me..I don't know how to deal with this
Quote 0 0
Sil
Mo,

My heart breaks for your loss of Gracie.  I could tell that you loved Gracie and she loved you.  Our pets have this sense of knowing and feeling our love for them.  I know the feeling of guilt.....of not being there "for the moment of good bye".  I was there, in the room when my paternal grandmother - the great lady, who raised me - passed....the moment has stayed with me "all these years".  

However, I was not there for my pet's good bye....during his last moments, Sol wanted to be outside the house.  It was a night full of stars....I went inside the house to take some medication, as I suffer from anxiety/panic attacks, came back outside and he was gone. 

I really believe that our fur babies, "protect" us even when they're saying good bye.  Sol -my male doggie- "sensed" my weak condition and decided to save me from the pain of letting go.

Their love for us is so pure and strong.  They have the capability to sense our emotions - and guilt is not known to them.  Gracie "knew" your love, "felt your love, even if you were not in the room.  Again, I very sorry for your loss of Gracie.  Hugs
Quote 0 0
Mo
Thank you Sil.... for your kind words. I miss her so much.
Quote 0 0
Sil
Mo,

In this forum, there is a community full of compassionate, caring and understanding people.  We all have suffered the loss of a beloved pet.  Even though, we ourselves are hurting, we stop and try  to give support and listen to one another.  You are not alone.  Hugs

Quote 0 0
Tankie12
Mo, after the first shot Gracie felt nothin but peace. That’s why it’s given. You know yourself, what you can handle, or not. She began drifting into that peaceful state knowing how much you loved her, feeling the love you’ve always given her. She knew and always will.
I am so sorry you are going through this, the grief alone is a force powerful enough to bring us to our knees.
Their is no “ready” for us, when it comes time to say bye to our beautiful babies, you’ll see we are all struggling to cope with the devastating loss. You’re not ever alone here, just reach out, or just write, it helps,,,,,take care and be good to you
Lynn, Tankie’s mom, forever
Quote 0 0
Mo
Lynn, Tankie’s mom....Thank you for your reply. It helped....Bless you
Quote 0 0