Forum

Author   Comment  
AP44

Reply with quote  #1 
This past weekend we got the ashes for our two tabbies and their paw prints. I had them cremated together and I thought it would be comforting to have them back in the house with us, but it’s only made me more upset. The paw prints weren’t what I expected. It was just his light impression on this white pad. Somehow I thought it would be more substantial, but it seems so anemic.

I’ve put everything away in a closet and just find no comfort in it at all. Not sure what is going on with me. I wish I had thought more carefully how I wanted to handle their remains.....

I know it’s only been a few weeks and the grief is still fresh, but this really put me over the edge.
Michelleq

Reply with quote  #2 
I’m very sorry for your loss. Hoping you find some comfort in this extremely painful loss. I just lost my angel on Saturday and the pain is excruciating. Thoughts and prayers for you ❤️
Lu

Reply with quote  #3 
I'm so sorry about your pets. It's such a depressing time. My boyfriend helped me bury my sweet dog in my yard and right before I placed her in I changed my mind and wanted to cremate her. My boyfriend did most of the work, I only helped a little and I didn't want to be a pain in the butt and change my mind after he'd done all that. :( I knew no matter what I chose it would be heartbreaking so I placed her in. :(  I can see her resting place when I look out the kitchen and living room windows. The first few days were awful because it was just a patch of bare earth. A constant reminder of the finality of it. I also walk by it every day when I leave the house and come home. It really helped to get her a little headstone (from Amazon) and plant some flowers around it. I put a few solar lights there and some twinkle lights in the tree over her spot. Maybe after a bit of time you can make a special spot in your home to honor your pets with their ashes, photos, and maybe you could put the paw prints in a little frame to make it a bit more substantial? My daughters and I are making a shadow box this weekend with Lulu's photos, pet tags, and other personal items. It will be sad but also healing.e will also be taking Junebug's (my living dog) paw prints as I don't have Lulu's and wish I did.  It's such a hard time, we all know how you feel. Hugs.

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank you for your kind thoughts. I’ve been looking at pictures of them and thinking about the life we shared, which is comforting. I think at some time we will do some type of memorial for them, whether it’s displaying pictures or burying their remains when we move to our new house.
Lu

Reply with quote  #5 
Looking at photos helps me too. Glad you have plans to do a little memorial. The rituals seem to bring a bit of peace. Hugs. 

Reply with quote  #6 

Hello again Andrea, 

What has helped give me comfort with my boys ashes (his name was Marmalade, an orange and white, nearly completely deaf Tabby, who was a KING of a colony of strays and feral cats when our two paths crossed in the high desert country of New Mexico, USA), is the fact that each of us, humans and cats, and all life on Earth is made up of carbon. Carbon that is from the remains of 4 billion year old, exploded stars. We are all made of stardust. So our cats (or dogs) ashes are made up of stardust, not just ash. The sacred ritual of having our loved ones cremated, goes back 65,000 to 100,000 years ago. So much of how we view things is based upon perspective. So when you look at that which contains the ashes of your lost beloved, remember that those ashes are made up of stardust, and what could be more enchanting.

Once again, I wish you healing and recovery and that someday soon, all that shall remain in your heart and mind, are your most cherished and precious memories of your two cats.

Kind regards & my sincerest condolences,
James
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.