Nate82
I have been married for over eight years, have two children (another on the way) and up until Tuesday I had two dogs. Rocky was a 14 year old Shiatzu that my wife got right before we met. He was a very challenging dog; however, we all loved him very much. He has been sick for a while and passed Tuesday evening. It’s been exceedingly difficult for me to process this as I just can’t imagine coming home without him here. Our other dog Patsy (9) will undoubtedly miss him as well. Anyone have any tips as to how to work through this? I am experiencing large amounts of grief and I am heartbroken. Thanks

Nate
Quote 0 0
CK1991
Dear Nate, I’m so sorry for your loss! I had 2 Shih tzus and they were my whole world. I remember coming home and it was one of the hardest things so I can sympathize with what you are going through. This site has been very helpful but also writing to your Rocky about how much you miss him helps. You could keep a journal with dates. I would also say to spend as much time with Patsy as you possibly can. Animals can’t communicate their grief the way that we do so she will be having a rough time.
Take Care and I hope you post more about your beloved Rocky.
CK
Quote 0 0
Nate82
CK,
I think you are right in about spending time with Patsy. I’ve been trying to not allow my grief to interfere too much with her and my children, while still showing how important Rocky was. Thanks so much for the advice- it really is like losing a family member.

Nate
Quote 0 0
CK1991
Hi again Nate,
You are so right! They are our family members and when we have to say good bye it’s devastating. I read once that other pets in the household are grieving but they also want to help you so I think it’s okay to let Patsy know you’re feeling sad. She may even feel better knowing she’s not grieving alone and will be happy to be there for you. This is a great place to post and share your grief. Everyone understands how painful it is. Take Care,
CK
Quote 0 0