LukeyBoy Show full post »
JerseyNonna
i'm so sorry for your loss of luke and omg what a beautiful boy he is!  losing our dearest friends at 9 years is something I've been dealing with since losing my service dog roxie (an exceptionally brilliant aussie girl) the day after Christmas and she had just turned 9 on November 21st.  like you, there was no way i didn't expect at least another 4 to 5 years of joy and companionship with my girl.  it truly stinks but there is nobody to be angry or mad at since none of us are guaranteed a tomorrow - we can hope there is more tomorrows in our futures but in the end that isn't a decision up to us at all.  i had to laugh now reading that you looked for luke's last poo in the yard because in the first few days after roxie's passing i would walk to her "potty spots" around the complex parking lot thinking that maybe i could find one last poo she left that i hadn't picked up...nope, nothing and then i thought how i must be the only human trying to find left over poo because i miss my girl so badly.  this place has made me realize that no matter how crazy we think we might appear (um, looking for poo, lol) our feelings are so similar to each others' and darn it there is nothing wrong with that at all! 

i'm sure that luke is across the bridge young and healthy and running around playing with the rest of our loved friends.  i'm also certain that his spirit is never that far from you and the family he loved so dearly.  whenever you miss him look within your heart and there you will find the deep bond of love that the two of you shared and smile.  it's been a rough few weeks here for me but i think i'm finally having more good days this week than bad ones and when i think of roxie and talk to her (i still give her belly and butt rubs that she loved so much) i can smile more often that cry - though the tears still come freely, just not all the time.  i'm trying to honor my wonderful aussie girl and the physical work she spent so many years helping me with (like showing me with her at my side i could walk slowly without the forearm crutches i had been on since the auto accident in 2002 as well as helping me from the floor when legs go numb and i fall from the failed spinal surgery) and not fall back to using them without her here.  the hardest for me so far was the first snow after her passing and my walking out to the mail box by the area where she'd potty.  walking home from the mailbox looking down to see only my footprints without her pawprints on my left side just brought the biggest meltdown ever.  couldn't even stand seeing pawprints next to the neighbor's footprints without breaking out in tears (well, tears would be the wrong word here it was more like a banshee's wail that ripped from my heart followed by a flood of tears). 

keep yourself open to possibly seeing luke's shadow around your house from the corner of your eye.  it's written that once the worse of our grief is over (though we may certainly disagree with that since most of us are still experiencing the heartwrenching sadness) that we become more open to connecting with our departed loved fur-babies and it's easier for us to see "movement".  so by all means keep talking to luke and don't be surprised at all when he starts nudging you to bring in another little boy to share your home and heart with.  you may or may not be ready for it in your head but in your heart you will know it's a sign from luke.  hope we can help and many many hugs and prayers to you and your family.
JerseyNonna
Quote 0 0
Gillian
This could almost be my story!  I know how you feel, its been almost 7 months and I still miss my Charley and wish I could have had more time with him.  It does get easier but the loss is still there.  Thank god for memories 
Gillian
Quote 0 0
LukeyBoy
Good Morning Boy- I seem to write to you in the mornings because that was our time together.  Marin and I shared a laugh about you the other day. We were driving down the road and saw a dog with its face out the window.  When you were still young (maybe 18 months old) there were times you would jump out of the car when we stopped at a stop sign, and  so we opened the window less than halfway just so you could stick your head out. While we were driving I looked back and you were halfway out the window, and I had to lean back and pull you back in!!  I laughed so hard remembering that story I started to cry, but in a good way!

Oh Luke there were so many great memories with you, and some like that one I forgot all about, but seem to be coming back to me lately.  I have been going through your old photos and I think this one of you and Marin is my favorite!  You were both so young in this photo, how did the time go by so fast??  

Luke clowning around.jpg 
Quote 0 0
jonancy
I am so sorry for your loss. I'm glad my post of Scooter eating the chocolate made you laugh, sometimes we all need a good laugh to get through this. I love the picture of Lukey in the wig, you have me smiling now...thanks for this.

Hope you have a good week.

Take care,
Jonancy... Scooter's Mama
Quote 0 0
LukeyBoy
Hey Lukey, Tomorrow will be six weeks that you got sick.  That means six weeks ago today was the last day I had you as a healthy boy, thinking you would be with me for years to come.  I think I am starting to live in dog years, because six weeks feels like six months, and I miss you terribly!  I keep thinking about all the wasted moments that I took you for granted.  Sure we spent time together every day, but there were days you wanted extra play time and I was 'too busy'.  Luke if I had known what would happen, I would have stopped whatever I was doing to spend more time with you.  I miss playing ball with you in the backyard. It was probably the thing I loved most.  The other day I pretended to play catch with you one more time. You were so talented, I loved that you could catch the ball without it hitting the ground. It made me smile to think about how you would run back, drop the ball at my feet, and look up with your eyes saying 'again, throw it again'!   Marin found your frisbee (it has markings where you caught it with your teeth)...she wrote on it 'Luke's Frisbee (woof, woof)'. 

Remember I told you about Bean, the cat we rescued after its owner died? Well she is a very sweet cat. She is very loving and submissive like you. I think the two of you would have been good buddies. This morning Bean followed me around the house, and it made me think about you. You were my shadow, if I was reading a book or on the computer, you would lay down right next to me, and when I got up you would be right behind me. I will never forget the sound of your nails on the hardwood floor, how I miss that sound.  

I don't know if anyone truly understands that you were not my dog, you were my boy!  How I wish we were given more time to make more memories, but I will forever cherish the ones we made together.

p.s. I just heard about two more doggies (Jet and Max) arriving at the bridge this week.  Please welcome them like I know you will. You were always so social and loved to make new friends, so I picture you as part of the greeting team at the bridge.
Quote 0 0
LukeyBoy
Hey Boy - I might not have posted in a few days, but I think about you all the time. I suppose some of the pain is going away, but I still wish you were here.  Luke you were always so healthy and strong, I just took for granted you would be around for many more years.  Even though the grey hairs started really showing up around your snout and legs this past year, I never really thought about you getting older. I was throwing myself a pity party thinking about how we were robbed of 3-5 more years together.  I just did a search for "lab" on this site, and found out that a lot of others lost their labs between 8-10 years old, so I suppose I need to stop being mad about only having you for 9 years. 

Luke, you were always such a happy dog, and I know you wouldn't want me to be sad. I promise I will try to stop dwelling on the past.  I just haven't figured out how to do that yet.  
Quote 0 0
LukeyBoy
Luke, It has been almost 7 weeks since your last night in the house, and this morning I woke up at 4:08am to the sounds of you pacing the floor, like you did every night.  How can that be?  Gosh I miss you boy!
Quote 0 0
LukeyBoy
Hi Luke,  its been eight week since we said our final goodbye.  This morning I went on one of our walks around the neighborhood. All I could think about was if the surgery had been succesful you would have been walking next to me today.  Well I saw the lady with the golden retriever, and had to tell her about you. Remember when we first moved in four years ago, you decided to explore your new turf unleashed and went to say hello. You were so excited to make a new friend you started making those chewbacca grunt sounds and she thought you were growling at her.  It took a few more interactions for her to realize you were just a happy lab!! "French Fry"

2016 is off to a lousy start in the pet department.  My nephew Rick lost his boxer, Megan, a few days before we lost you, and last week Auntie Risa lost her boxer, Delta (she lost Delta's mother, Blaze, just a few months before that).  Poor Aunt Risa, she has raised boxers for over 25 years, and Delta was the last of the lineage.  She was so sweet to send the PawPrints book to the girls when you passed, I would like to do something nice for her too.  "Frisbee"

Lukey boy, You know I think about you all the time, and I have been doing alot better the past two weeks, being able to have happy thoughts about you. I will always cherish the 9 years we had together. they were some of the best times in my life. So many great memories, so many times you would do something to make me smile and always I knew how much you loved us.  We had such a special bond - You will always been in my heart. "Frappacino"  

As much as this forum has helped me to grieve over the past two months, I think I need to take a break, because I always seem to get sad and cry more when I decide to get on this forum.  I know you'd want me to be happy, but the longer I cling to you the harder it is to let go or move on.  Yesterday we saw a woman with a 2 year old yellow lab. I asked her if I could say hello.  As I was playing with the pup the owner was lamenting how her dog was still having trouble with some commands words like leave it or stay.  Your momma shared the story about the word game we used to play, and how you would wait in this ball of energy...frech fry, frisbee, frappacino.   you were waiting to here THE word.   Luke it is so hard I haven't wanted to say it, but its time for me to release you. So goodbye my sweet boy, you're "Free"!  

Quote 0 0
bluebubble
I am so sorry. Everyone here knows and understands your loss. There is no time limit on grieving. Be gentle with yourself.

Quote 0 0
LukeyBoy
Well Luke, it's been a few months since I visited  Although I finally let go, I still think of you all the time. There is another chocolate lab in the neighborhood. The girls say you met Cooper, he moved here just a few months before you passed.  He is older and has a lot of white. whenever I see him I always think that's what you might have looked like in a few years.  Stella has finally come out of her funk, and is enjoying all the extra attention she is getting now, but I miss having a big dog in the house to run or play catch.  Luke, I can never replace you, but I want to have a big dog again, so I made the decision to get a new lab.  He is a diluted chocolate "silver" lab who I'm going to name Sterling (because he is silver), and on his AKC registry his formal name will be "Luke's Sterling Successor".  I hope he can be half the dog you were.  Here is a picture of Sterling at the vet getting his shots.  He is only 7 weeks old, but we should be able to bring him home next weekend.  He's small now, but based on the size of his parents, and the fact he is the biggest of the boys, the breeder thinks he will grow to be 95-100lbs.

stirling.JPG 
Quote 0 0
winstonsmom12
Lukey  I wish you much luck with your new boy Sterling.  I have had many many labs in my life.  My ex husbands favorite breed.  Tho i never had a Chocholate.  they are faboulous dogs.  Very good natured and good with children.  I wish you a world of luck with youe new boy.  Please let us know how it works out.   Sue
Susan
Quote 0 0