Forum

Author   Comment  
xanthen

Reply with quote  #1 
It's been a week, and I'm a mess. Dudley was 14.5, I've had him since he was a puppy. He died in his sleep, crawling as close to me as he could, on the floor next to my bed. My dog Lucy, also 14.5, from a different litter, stood over him and growled when we woke up in the morning.

I'm thankful I wasn't on deployment, and he wasn't in pain.

But now I am...in a lot of pain. Every day, I cry. This is harder than I thought....I feel bad he's buried in the cold ground, flowers cover his grave.
txgal

Reply with quote  #2 
I am so sorry for the loss of your Dudley! How wonderful that he tried to be close to you at the end! The loss of our fur covered friends cannot be measured. How much we miss their presence and the routine of having them in our lives.....

It has been one month since I lost my best friend and it seems like yesterday. I had him for 15 of his 17 years and the time seems all too short.....I had to make the decision to end his life and I don't know if one situation is better than another. The bottom line is you still long for them....still cry for them..................

It does get easier....I don't cry for as long a period a time each day....everyone is different..you will grieve what is right for you. My husband doesn't understand really as he wasn't as attached to Jake as I was...I understand that.

Thank you for your service to our country........may you find comfort and peace......
Cindy

Reply with quote  #3 

I am so sorry for your loss.  Take it easy on yourself.  Healing does take time.  Take all the time you need.  Dont let anyone tell you different.  Those feelings and the crying will stop one day.  Take baby steps.  You will always have loving feelings.  I put Taffy to sleep over 35 years ago and still tear up when I think of her.  Try to remember the good times and know that your beloved is at peace and free of pain.  You have enough on your mind being in the military.  I thank you for your service.

Goobiesbf

Reply with quote  #4 

I'm so sorry to hear about your dear Dudley. I can't do better than the first two responders but don't forget that your dear Lucy is grieving, too.  Maybe the two of you can take a special walk.  It will help the both of you if you pay a little more attention to her now.  I once had 4 dogs and 3 cats and when little Charlie, the oldest, had to be euthanized all 7 of us left behind went into mourning.  Helping them helped me deal with my own feelings.

zheriz

Reply with quote  #5 
Sorry for your loss. Just lost my baby on Feb 28 so my heart goes out to you. Totally understand the crying as I haven't stopped myself. Only consolation I have is I know I'll see my baby again and you will too. Please take care.

Mac

Reply with quote  #6 
Adding my sorrow and prayers for you and your Dudley.

Agree with the other comments - every one is different, and everyone finds a way to manage the grief and the terrible, ongoing sense of loss that appears with even the smallest reminders, but some comments:

---Think of those gestures that acknowledge your love for Dudley, and do them, whether it be a favorite photo, a candle, or flowers (either at his gravesite or in your own home or garden)
---put together a photo album, write down some special memories, or journal your own thoughts
---make a donation in his name to a shelter

Give yourself the time that you need - don't expect non-pet owners to understand how you feel, but know that everyone who posts here knows what you are experiencing, and you can speak freely here.

Time does put a scab on your wound, but time can't be hurried.  There is no timetable, but you will notice when your pain starts to be balanced with happy memories.

I agree that you will be reunited with your Dudley again, so know that and use that thought as a source of comfort.

Adding you and Dudley to my prayers...

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.