petespin
Today I had to let my longtime furry friend go.  She was a black and white cat that lived to an old age of 22.  I was her caretaker for the past 14 years.  She was a feisty, independent, and intelligent cat.  She was a strong willed but gentle and devoted cat, surviving the menufoods cat food poisoning incident a few years ago.  

She had been on the decline this past year.  The past few weeks, she really slowed down, not climbing on the couch, eating only little bits, and having a hard time retaining her balance.  At my wife's urging to listen to my conscience, and I took her into the vet to ease her suffering and put her in a better place.  I know that she is free, but it hurts so much.  I feel guilty and sad.  I miss her greatly.

I will always remember her running pell mell through my condo when I first got her.  I will always remember when she was younger that she would meow in the middle of the night until I would wake up and then she would stop.  I remember when she would hide under the coffee table when she wanted to play, or would attack my feet and then look up with the look of "What, I was bored".   She would stand at the window and meow when I came home from work.  She was jealous of my wife when we were first dating, but grew to accept her as well.  Of all our animals, she was the one who first investigated my son when we brought him home after he was born.   In the past two years, even deaf as a post and slow, she would raid the kitchen table.  She was the princess cat.  

This evening, I saw a rainbow in the sky, briefly.  Could it be a sign?
Quote 0 0
nicokudo
I am so sorry that you had to say good-bye to your precious girl. What a beautiful life she shared with your family and with you.  Bless you for having the courage to let her leave with dignity.  I understand why you feel guilty and sad, but quilt is part of the grieving process.  Truly, there is nothing to feel guilty about. Your baby loves you still; always will.  She will be a part of you as long as you walk on this earth.  In my personal beliefs, you will one day way in the future, walk with her again.  Yes, I would like to think that the rainbow you saw was a sign.  

Thinking of you, your family and your precious little girl.

Karen

skfly
Karen,Kudo and Nico's mom
Earth mom to Marco and Bella
Quote 0 0
tikibarb
What a loving tribute.  She must have been very special.  I know it hurts terribly.  I too saw a rainbow the day after I lost my beloved Ted.  I am positive it was a sign.  I am sorry that you are hurting. 22 years is amazing.  You were so lucky to have her for so long!
Barbara Lyngarkos
My Beloved Ted 8/7/2005 - 7/7/10
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/TED001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
donnalee

Oh my goodness, 22 years!   I'm sure you know how fortunate you were to have her for that long but it still hurts so much.  What a bond, what a huge part of your life she would be after being with you for so long!  I'm so sorry you are hurting and there is nothing we can say to take that away.  You gave her a wonderful, happy life as the princess cat!  I hope as time passes, you will realize that you have nothing to feel guilty about.  We really don't want to see them suffer and they are dependent upon us to make that decision.  It is a horribly difficult decision and most of us feel guilty, but as time passes, we realize we did the right thing for our precious little one.  She is running & playing as free as a kitten right now....having the time of her life!
Yes--I think the rainbow was a sign.  Keep your eyes & heart open.  I bet this spunky one will be sending you more signs!  I'm truly sorry for your pain.  We all understand here and sympathize totally.  It is a huge loss.  Please share more memories with us.   

Quote 0 0
Momma_Of_CiCi
I am so sorry for your loss and trust in your heart you made the right decision for her. I know it was hard for you but she is in a much better place and has God to watch over her. 22 years is a long time and I know you cherished the last 14 you spent with her. You will see her again one day just as I will my precious CiCi. May God bless you and I will pray for you. I only wish I could have seen a rainbow...you were blessed

Hugs and Kisses Princess Cat <3 <3
Quote 0 0
Mia870

wow, 22 years is fantastic !. I am so sorry for your loss but you did the right thing and she is at peace. You are in my thoughts xx  

Mia Jessie aged: 11 years. Always our puppy girl xxxxxx
Quote 0 0
petespin
Thank you very much all for your kind words.  It helps to know that there are others who have gone through/are going through this.  Today, I received a sympathy card from our vet, with the rainbows bridge poem on it.  I was sad all over again, but feel somewhat hopeful.    
Quote 0 0