tonyseck
After 14 years of friendship I had to say goodbye to my best friend Henry on Friday Nov. 22, 2019.  I had the privilege of holding him as he passed from this world and I have been struggling to find my footing ever since.  My wife brought him into our lives on Oct 1, 2015 and quite frankly he was a horrible puppy.  He was obstinate, aloof, and a world champion at playing keep away.  However, he had a million dollar smile and once he flashed that at you it would make all of your problems disappear and put a smile on your face.  I eventually found myself hurrying home from business trips just so we could spend some time together.  A few years ago Henry ran into some health problems with a CHF and eye problems.  After a couple of eye surgeries he went completely blind.  I was totally devastated as I watched him try to understand what was happening to him.  I promised him I would get him through it and over time we developed a "new normal".  In the process we became inseparable - I was basically his seeing eye human.  I would carry him to the sidewalk across the street four times a day so he could go to the bathroom, give him his drops and pills, prep his meals, and then feed him by hand when I had to (he was a picky eater and not interested in eating when he got older).  I probably have 10 different kinds of commercial and home made dog food always searching for the right combination to spark his appetite.  Last weekend I finally decided I had done for him everything I could and the only thing I had left to give was the gift of peace.  He could not really walk anymore, his weight was down to skin and bones, and his CHF was causing him to sleep about 20 hours /day.  I was able to spend the day with him, carried him around the yard, took some pictures, and made some final memories before  we had to say goodbye.  The whole family was there with him so he would not be alone and having that opportunity is a memory that I will cherish for the rest of my life.  I hope he knows I did the best I could to keep my promise.  I now have to find m new "new normal" and I hope this is the first step in helping me get there.  I am sure it will take some time,  I just wish he was by my side to put that smile on my face.
Anthony K. Seck
Quote 0 0
BorderCollieLover
Anthony:

My heartfelt condolences on the loss of your beloved Henry. Your love and devotion to him comes shining through with your post. You were a great pet parent as you mentioned being his eyes when he lost his sight. You also carried him outside so he could go the bathroom. Not everyone would do that for their pets, but you did. You are to be commended on your superlative care. Henry instinctively knows that he was loved and cared for by you and your family. He was very fortunate to have had you as his human person.

Once again - My Sympathies,

Jim
Jim Miller
Quote 0 0
tonyseck
Thank you Jim.  I have 3 other dogs sitting here by me right now and will do the same for them if the need arises.  However, Henry was special.  I can't put my finger on it but he always put his trust in me and knew I would not let him down.  I read some of these other posts about how awful the end can be and I am now confident we did the right thing and I can rest knowing I did everything possible to make him know that he was loved
Anthony K. Seck
Quote 0 0