jcline18
Our dog, best friend and family member passed away on March 12, 2018.  I still am in shock how it happened.  He was only 8 years old and weighed about 15 pounds.  We got him when he was just 6 weeks old for our son's 10th birthday, but he quickly became not just our son's but family to me and my husband as well.  He had some issues, such as seizures, which the medicine he was on did not stop, but lessened the length and how many he had.  According to the vet his kidney counts were off, so he was on special food too.  None of these things bothered him, he was a very happy, playful little guy.  I took him to the vet for his checkup less than a month before he got sick.  He seemed fine on Sunday morning and by that afternoon was throwing up. Since the seizure meds made him want to eat everything in sight we assumed he just got into something.  When he wasn't over it by Monday my son took him to the vet.  He was in a lot of pain by that afternoon, like I'd never seen before.  She thought he had got into some kind of poison, since the x-ray showed something in his pancreas.  She agreed to do exploratory surgery, but there was little hope. She found out he had a pancreatic cancer tumor which had burst, spreading enzymes thru his body, basically poisoning him.  I am still in shock, never thinking we would lose him like that.  He was my baby, especially when my son went off to college, even sleeping in the bed under the covers.  I had such a routine with him & he followed me around the house many times.  He loved to sit next to me on the couch with his head in my lap.  I couldn't even bear to sit on the couch for a week.  Sometimes I'm fine, but most of the time it just hurts so bad.
Janice L Cline
Quote 0 0
AngelsGift
The following you around is one of those little things they do. Its been two weeks since our family had to let our girl go and I still look at where her bed was or when I get up in the morning and I'm expecting that she's by my side walking around with me. Its those things that you do and your little companion isn't there any more. The loneliness creeps in and that hurt comes back. It gets better Janice, I'm still feeling raw, but it does get better. I'm sorry for your loss... hang in there.
Quote 0 0
Mousefords_Mom
Oh I'm so sorry for your loss, but I am glad you have found your way here. The people on this site are kind & understanding & are helping me with the loss of my dog, Mouseford.

I can see how much you loved him. You took such wonderful care of him, tending to all of his issues, & you are such a saint for that. So many of us have it easy with our pets, with minimal health issues. What a wonderful companion you were to him.

I don't understand why dogs get cancer. Why would this world allow such incredible, pure creatures to be taken by something so horrible? My Mouseford had cancer, & I never knew until the day he died. I was, & still am, in shock over it. The shocked feeling has lessened as I have slowly adjusted to life without him, but it is still there nonethess. I have screamed & cursed the world for taking him away. I have been angry at everything. I wondered how I could have prevented this. But cancer is cancer, there is no negotiating with it. All I know is that I loved Mouseford with every ounce of my being, & gave him the best life that I could.

I hope that this website will help you manage your grief. I want you to know that I understand he was your family member, just as Mouseford was mine. I understand what it is like to feel ripped apart & shattered, a puzzle with pieces forever missing. Please come here when you are feeling overwhelmed & let this group of people try to help you through it.

My heart goes out to you.
Maggy
***Loving & missing my sweet Mouseford***
Quote 0 0
Buddy2018
I'm so feeling your pain. My Buddy was the same. He was my baby. Followed me everywhere and a year ago I had the privilege to work from home so we were together every minute. I do miss him and my heart aches all the time. I never thought I would feel such pain. This was the first pet I had and the pain is unbearable. I know we will get through it but right now all I feel is empty.
Quote 0 0
jcline18
I appreciate everyone's understanding, so many people do not understand and say "it's just a pet or get another".  I too don't understand why such loving creatures would get cancer.  I have days when I am so angry I want to scream and other days when I just want to cry.  All Luke ever wanted was love, which I know we gave him.  He would look me right into my eyes and I've never seen that with an animal before.  At first it was so hard to go home after work.  My husband gets home before me and he would have the front door open, leaving the glass door closed.  Luke would be waiting at the door for me and would jump up all excited when he saw me pull in the driveway.
Janice L Cline
Quote 0 0
Purzel
Janice,

I am so very sorry for your loss. I can imagine very well all you are going through right now. All you described, the joyful greeting at the door, the direct look into the eyes, I miss this so so so much beyond words. So we all understand your grief and are here for you to listen and to comfort you.

Silvia (with Max forever in my heart)

[hundi]

Quote 0 0