woodbme
I lost my sweet Peanut yesterday - the best part of my life, gone. I am completely devastated and heartbroken. Been crying for two days, practically non-stop. Can't sleep. Peanut was my 7 year old boxer. She was the best part of every day. She was vibrant and silly, loving and needy -- had to be the center of attention at all times. Her facial expressions and personality kept me laughing and my spirits always rose at the sight of her. Peanut had a small cancerous lump in her armpit removed in March. In July, she got some type of bacterial infection and got really sick. During all the testing, we found that her discs in her neck were pretty much fused together; causing her alot of pain. So the last couple of months we've been trying to maintain her pain (which was really rough). She was slowly seeming to be in more pain the last several days and yesterday had a stroke. I just didn't want her to suffer anymore. It was horrible watching her go from the crazy, vibrant dog she was, to either just sleeping tons or pacing all over the place in pain. I'm trying to take comfort knowing she's at peace now, but losing her and my cat (Pumpkin just a month ago), the silence in the house is deafening. And my poor Bella (my other dog, a 10 year old pit), just lost her buddy too. The pain is just overwhelming. Peanut didn't deserve having her life cut so short. I will never be the same. I would give anything to have her back... WP_20161119_002~2.jpg
Quote 0 0
CaitlinMA
I feel your pain. I lost my 13-year-old Westie Oscar on Thursday. The grief has been so intense that my primary care physician prescribed a short-term prescription of Lorazepam (1 mg) to be take twice a day. I also spoke with my grief counselor, who has been working with me on the loss of my mom last year. Oscar and my mom were so tied together.

My mom lived with me as her health declined. Oscar stayed by her side throughout everything until the end, and mourned her loss with me. He is the reason I kept getting out of bed after that shattering loss. I knew he had some growing health issues, including his kidney. He had been homeless for a while when I adopted him around the age of one. I don't know if those early experiences impacted his health later in life. On Thursday morning around 3 am, we were sleeping together and he woke up struggling to breathe, He had been experiencing some gagging issues for a while. The vet knew about it (sounded as if he was coughing up flem). The vet was monitoring that situation. But Thursday was different. Oscar was in distress. I brought him to the animal emergency room and, to my horror, learned that he had an enlarged liver, enlarged heart, and a giant mass on his liver. His prospects were dim and they couldn't stabilize him, so I had to make the horrible decision to have him put to sleep. I was allowed into the ER to be with him. (The pandemic restrictions are still being enforced.) The vet carried him into the room, wrapped in a cushy blanket. We were left alone, with the vet outside the door, so I could take off my mask and let him see my face and I said my goodbye to him and gave him kisses and pats. When I was ready, I signaled for the overdose to be injected inti an extended catheter. Oscar and I locked eyes until he peacefully went to sleep. I then stayed with him afterwards to 10 minutes, continuing to pat him and tell him that I love him.

I'm so devastated. He was such a part of my daily routine. Just going through the day hurts because everything involved him -- and now he's gone. Losing Oscar is like losing my mother all over again.  1424294_10152307439585410_896166552_n.jpg 
Quote 1 0
cat_person
I am awfully sorry for the loss of your sweet dog Peanut and your cat Pumpkin.  I am sure your pets had a great life with you. It is sad and unfair that your dog could spend only a few years with you, but they were good years. I lost my cat, I feel that my life will never be the same.  I can only imagine what you must be feeling, having lost 2 fur babies. 
My condolences,
Tatiana
Quote 1 0
woodbme
CaitlinMA - I'm so sorry for your loss, both your mother and your beloved Oscar. What a cutie pie! I hear you on the meds, I've been there with previous losses. You've been through alot and it must be very hard. I am finding it a bit helpful to work on a memorial for Peanut. Knowing I can visit a place just for her and I. May be a small step to help you with Oscar? They offer them here on this website - check it out. I appreciate you taking the time to share in my pain and share yours. Happy to chat anytime about our babies -- maybe it will help us both!?
Quote 1 0
woodbme
Tatiana - thank you for your kind words. So sorry for the loss of your kitty. It's the hardest thing we pet parents go through. I woke up this morning and just couldn't bare the thought of going through the day without my sweet girls. But, I have to be strong for Bella. It's killing me inside. I hope you are finding solace in something.. Prayers for you and your kitty.
Quote 0 0
GEMINIXX69
I am so sorry. Truly. I lost my 9 year old Chiweenie June 9. Her name is Minnie.  My daughter and I revolved our lives around Minnie.  It's been 3 months now and it has gotten a little easier, but there are days when it feels like that first day.  Its unbearable at times.  Please know you are not alone. This forum has helped me through this most difficult time.  I pray for peace and acceptance for you. Your Peanut is so beautiful and special.   I know how much you miss her. 
Linda L.
Quote 0 0
woodbme
Linda - thank you. Today has been rough.. as it's settling in she's not coming back. Bella seems depressed too, as it's settling in for her as well. The loss of Peanut for me will never be okay, although I know I'll find better ways of coping. My condolences on your precious Minnie. I can relate to revolving your life around these sweet angels. Mine are my life! I wish you and your daughter peace and signs from Minnie to comfort you..
Quote 0 0