Forum

Author   Comment  
Susie_Squillions

Reply with quote  #1 
I take part in a facebook app called "Save A Shelter Dog/Cat," and today one of my virtual fosters went to his new home, so it was time to select a new dog.  I found an adorable dog who is in a shelter not far from me.  He's a very small, adult Pembroke Welsh Corgi.  His name is Mr. Rogers, and he is a breeder surrender, presumably because he is so far below the breed standard for size (he's only 15 lbs. at 5-6 years old!).  He is adorable, and I wish I could adopt him

Because of our financial position, I know that this is not the time for me to even think about adopting a dog, but I kept telling my sister how adorable Mr. Rogers is, and how much I hope to be able to help to find him a new family locally so I can meet him in person.  He is so cute! The conversation finally got around to me saying that I would like to get involved in volunteering to walk the dogs at one of the local shelters.  The shelter that is closest to me is the county Humane Society shelter, and  because of the volume of animals that are surrendered to them, they have a relatively high kill rate.  I told my sister that it would do me in to know what the future holds for so many of those dogs.  She reminded me that dogs live in the "now," and that they would enjoy their walks so much. 

That's when it hit me.  I knew this already, but it really hit me full force this time:  Volunteering isn't about me.  It's about the dogs.  It's about how good their "now" can be.  If I can provide a good enough "now," then I will know they have known kindness and love, even if it was only for a few hours or a few days.  I will know that the love I give them means something beyond anything I will ever understand. 

I'm not sure I'm ready to commit to a routine that will undoubtedly include so much sorrow for me, but I'm willing to look into it and give it a try for them.  For them, it won't be sorrow.  For them, it will be a joyful, wonderful "now."  And when you're a dog, "now" is everything.

"Memories of loved ones are like songs in our soul." Margaret Wakeley

T.J.'S RESIDENCY:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/TJ006/Resident.htm

BUDDY GUY AYRES~LYNCH'S RESIDENCY:
http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/residents/Buddy128/resident.HTM

KING BING THE GOD CAT'S RESIDENCY:
http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/BINGO009/Resident.htm

In one of the stars, I shall be living.
In one of them, I shall be laughing.
And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing when you look at the sky at night.
~ The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery
reovi

Reply with quote  #2 
I agree, that is why I think they are so inherently special-no grudges, no baggage, no ill will or prejudging, which is why I think it is so hard to let them go.  They are the best part of our souls, I think.

I wish you the absolute best of luck with your volunteering, if it weren't for people like you, the dogs at shelters would never get that human connection before their time.  I just wish people would spay or neuter their pets and put these places out of business, but until they do-bless people like you!
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.