Vegas2015

It was December 4th, 2015 when we had to make that fateful decision to put our beloved 16 year companion to rest.  As with everyone who visits this site, it is painful and it hurts.  It hurts that you swear you do not ever want to go through that again but yet if we had to do it all over again, we would.  We would want to have our companion back, to cherish and love even knowing the inevitable outcome in the end. I swore that I did not want another dog.  We had his remains cremated, privately with a reputable business and purchase a beautiful wooden urn with a Chihuahua figurine on top.  His collar wraps around the figurine and is placed in a special place in our household,

But yet, in late December, after Christmas, was looking at a Rescue site, Texas Chihuahua Rescue.   There we found a senior female Chihuahua who was turned over to a shelter by family members after the owner had passed away.  As we all know, family surrenders is an immediate death sentence for animals at shelters.  There are rescue groups (Texas Chihuahua Rescue) who watch over and get alerts from staff or other rescue groups.  This Senior Chihuahua was terrified (saw an 8 second video) cowering in a corner.   She was rescued on October 28th and placed into foster care.  She was taken weekly to a PetsMart ever weekend looking for a new owner but no one wanted a senior animal who needed a quiet home, poor vision, no children due to her age, no big dogs.

I called Texas Chihuahua Rescue after Christmas after they put her on their website with her sad story of being fostered nearly two months.  While no dog can ever replace our beloved Chihuahua Vegas we could give a senior dog a new life and a peaceful home to live out her years.  On January 2nd, we drove over 200 miles on a Saturday morning to visit a dog we have never met but only seen pictures and a bio describing her plight.  It has been over a month now and it took her a little while to uncurl that tucked in scared tail and become more comfortable that she had finally found a home that will give her love, comfort, place to rest and be cared for.  She is a quiet dog who gingerly loves to give kisses.  I am glad that we decided to, not replace our dog, but to give a senior dog a new life.  

When I Die.JPG  This option may not be for everyone but if you can not adopt a rescue consider supporting a Rescue.

Capture.JPG 
Chloe's new lease on life

John & Renee
Quote 0 0
GrievingHannah
God bless you.

We adopted Mack on May 3, 2014, exactly 12 weeks after Hannah died.

Mack was abused, abandoned, left to live the desperate life of a stray. He eventually contracted Lyme disease.  Mack was found again and sold on Craig's List as unwanted property, abandoned again, and left for seven months in the shelter system.

Nobody wanted Mack.  We rescued him, and then he rescued us right back.

God bless you both.  You are heroes.

Our handsome Mack:

IMAG0124 (Small).jpg 
Lee (Mack's and Hannah's and Heidi's and Janie's dad)

Fragile Circle

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only certain immortality,
never fully understanding the necessary plan."

Quote 0 0
LUCYLULU
John, Renee & Lee:  Thank you for your stories & your pictures. These dogs know how very lucky they are-- to be found by such loving parents. I do believe that your dogs guided you to the rescues. I am looking at & applying to rescues. Had applied for a puppy with a breeder & stopped the process because there are too many rescues waiting. I am not really sure I am ready but am trying to 'be ready' soon. Lee:  I didn't even realize it until I saw your post. Was searching for some poems to give out @ a store I was working @ on Valentine's Day. One was the e.e. cummings' poem. Last night I saw that you had posted it the week before. You gave my own heart a hopeful moment. Love poetry & love that poem 'i carry your heart with me'. That's all. It was a nice connection.  

Now you both are giving all of us a hopeful thought that we can rescue a special dog--  when the timing feels right. Thank you! Hugs, Kasey
Quote 0 0
camunki
Vegas, you did the right thing, rescuing & saving a life, what a remarkable, caring, wonderful thing to do, and being a senior too, giving a great life!!! and yes, we never, ever replace our pets, just extend our hearts to another loved pet that wants to know what life & love is really about!!

Great picture too!!

Cam

Quote 0 0
GrievingHannah
LUCYLULU wrote:
John, Renee & Lee:  Thank you for your stories & your pictures. These dogs know how very lucky they are-- to be found by such loving parents. I do believe that your dogs guided you to the rescues. I am looking at & applying to rescues. Had applied for a puppy with a breeder & stopped the process because there are too many rescues waiting. I am not really sure I am ready but am trying to 'be ready' soon. 
Lee:  I didn't even realize it until I saw your post. Was searching for some poems to give out @ a store I was working @ on Valentine's Day. One was the e.e. cummings' poem. Last night I saw that you had posted it the week before. You gave my own heart a hopeful moment. Love poetry & love that poem 'i carry your heart with me'. That's all. It was a nice connection.  Now you both are giving all of us a hopeful thought that we can rescue a special dog--  when the timing feels right. Thank you! Hugs, Kasey

Thanks so much, Kasey.

I carry Hannah's heart in my heart, and, I, like you, believe Hannah led us to Mack.

That e.e. cumming's poem means so much to me, Kasey.

When the time is right for you, you will give a shelter dog a second chance at life. Thank you so much for being willing to open your heart to a shelter dog, one whose life holds no hope or joy.

I seem to be saying this a lot, lately, but God bless you, Kasey.

I am so sorry for your loss.  I grieve with you.
Lee (Mack's and Hannah's and Heidi's and Janie's dad)

Fragile Circle

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only certain immortality,
never fully understanding the necessary plan."

Quote 0 0
Vegas2015
Quote:
Nobody wanted Mack.  We rescued him, and then he rescued us right back.

God bless you both.  You are heroes.

Our handsome Mack:

Mack is handsome and traveled a tough journey.  It is amazing to think what it takes for these animals to touch our lives and our life to touch theirs.
John & Renee
Quote 0 0
Vegas2015
Quote:

Originally Posted by LUCYLULU
there are too many rescues waiting. I am not really sure I am ready

Kacey, it is a hard decision when to decide and if you would even consider an adoption.  We too considered an adoption but did not want to even consider a rescue for at least six months or more, but yet here we are with Chloe.  The grief of losing a companion is still strong with me and still shed tears when I think about Vegas.  I will never get over the bond I felt with Vegas, the love he gave to me and our family. 

Only you will know in your heart when the time is right and even if it is something you really want to do.   There is nothing wrong in not adopting another companion and if you want there are plenty in the system who may be looking for temporary foster care or even just a visit to a facility while they are waiting for their furever home.

And last.. thanks everyone for true compassion you have given to your four legged family members (two if you love birds as my dad did)
John & Renee
Quote 0 0
ahartofilis
Hello John and Renee,
         Your story really touched me tonight and I also want to reach out and tell you that I am so very happy for what you did and for this little precious soul, Chloe. I fully understand the feelings you went through after the loss of Vegas. I lost my special girl Coco to bone cancer 14 month's ago on December 7th. I will never forget the heartbreaking grief that followed her loss. I never wanted to go through something like it again. Yet about 4 month's after I found myself looking at local shelters and the canines they had. I found myself drawn to a Lab named Rudy, his ears pinned back, his face dirty and I just had to see him. I don't know what it was but I did adopt him after a couple of visits. I really feel as if I did right by the memory of my girl Coco. The love that she left behind, her legacy, is what I have to give to Rudy. He spent all of his puppy month's in shelters, in cages. Now he has a home with me and is becoming the dog he was meant to be!
         I so appreciate that you reached out for this senior Chihuahua  Chloe, in need. She will never have to suffer, feel alone or abandoned, thanks to you both!  I have a tremendous amount of respect for those that take that chance and rescue a 'canine soul in need'.  You will be blessed in so many ways for an act of selflessness for the memory and honor of your special one, Vegas.
 Please take care of yourselves ........ Thanks for sharing your story with us............Sincerely, Andrea, Coco, Rudy...... 2414106.jpg   This is Rudy a few month's ago!
Quote 0 0
Graceful

Dear John and Renee, Chloe and Vegas,

It is said that "one picture is worth a thousand words"  (or is it 10,000 words, as in the Chinese proverb?)  Either way, that picture of Chloe and Renee says it all.   Love it.   Just wish I could reach in and give Chloe a little smooch, too.   :)

Love prevails.  Having had a Chihuahua as a family pet when I was a kid, I know firsthand that they are pretty awesome little spirits.  

It is so nice to see how you have shared your heart and your home and everything in between, and done so, with seemingly relative ease, because you simply followed your instincts, and knew Chloe was meant to be yours. 

Also, adopting a senior dog is outta sight, in my book.  They are all appreciative, but the seniors have so much more trouble being adopted, as you witnessed; they are so deserving of love, care, support and respect.  Special.

But you know, it's not about me, or you, or anyone else: it's about Chloe.  She's home, really home, and that's what makes me smile.   Thank you for another update: it is sweet and generous of you to return to this forum so we can share in the goodness of your adoption of Chloe.

All my best, with a special little hug for irresistible Chloe.   It has been nice to see that Vegas has been working to guide you in this process, too; that is very inspiring to me.  :)
All my best wishes, in the light of giving,
Grace xo

"Now that the time has come
 Soon gone is the day,
 There upon some distant shore
 You will hear me say,
 Long as the day in the summer time
 Deep as the wine-dark sea,
 I'll keep your heart with mine
 Till you come to me"  (LM)

Quote 0 0
KimR
Vegas2015, you are an inspiration.
God bless you.
I hope I can follow your example when my grief from letting go of my beloved cat, Gwen, a week ago heals some.
Quote 0 0