patent123
My girl has been gone 4 months now.  I still think of her daily and I still feel an incredible amount of guilt over putting her to sleep.  I often wonder if I could have done more.  I often wish I had looked into a wheel chair for her...although at the time I did do a little research and felt it would only benefit me and not so much her quality of life.  I felt like I was on a time limit which only made things harder.  I saw my poor girl crippled and suffering...I don't know if she was in pain or not.  If she was I didn't want to prolong her suffering just to keep myself from heartache.  It hasn't been that long since she passed but I feel myself forgetting what its like to have her around.  I am forgetting what she smelt like, how she felt, her funny habits and personality, and all the little daily things that involved her.  I have never had a dog that was so completely perfect & as good of a friend as she was.  Of course I have MANY pictures I can look back on but I think we all know that's just not the same.  I think forgetting little things is the second hardest and saddest thing after putting them to sleep.  Thinking of her every day is painful and hard but I'm also afraid of the day where I wake up and don't instantly think of her or going a full day and not having a memory pop up that involved her.  Does anyone else feel this way or experience forgetting different parts of your little friends?
Quote 0 0
jaschutz
I have the same fears. I only lost my dog, London, four weeks ago but I find myself forgetting her little quirks or what it was like having her around. I had a dog before London and she passed away 8 years ago. I have pictures of her and I miss her but I don't really remember what it was like when she was alive and I don't think about her every day. My biggest fear is that this same thing will happen with London. She's my best friend and soul mate and the thought of not remembering what it was like when she was alive is heartbreaking.
Jamie

You can visit London's memorial at:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/LONDO001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
ahartofilis
Patent123, I wrote something that was very similar in my post today. This morning I woke up and couldn't stop thinking about Coco's paws. I used to love looking at her paws, the pads on her feet and toes. I would always check them to see if they were O.K. as she was outside so much and would often get things stuck between her toes.
 It started to make me really sad as then I started to think that I am going to forget exactly what she looked like. It does sort of haunt me in a way. I don't ever want to forget that beautiful gaze in her eyes, even the little gray hairs that were popping up around her face endeared her to me. It reminded me that we had a good amount of time together and that she was growing into her older years in a graceful, beautiful way. These are things that I never want to forget about my beloved girl .........sincerely, Andrea
Quote 0 0
Dalidog
I think we all have this fear.  When my Dali left, I started writing about her life, from how I got her until the day she left.  I still write down memories and special thngs about her.  I keep a piece of her hair in a bag and touch it and stroke it.  Her pictures are all on my shelf, I have been unable to bring myself to put them in a memory book yet, although I bought one for her.  I keep a picture on my nightstand, pictures on the wall, the shelf, in my car, and I never travel without one in my purse.  I dont' think I will ever forget anything about her, I make sure I keep that close.  It would be horrible to forget.  I write to her daily, sing to her, call for her, and wait for the day we are together again.  It will be 4 months on the 27th since she left.  I have a hard time now remembering what it was like to be so carefree and happy.  Life is different now.  One night I woke up in panic that the house would burn down and I would lose all her pictures!  I got up and put one in my fireproof safe.  But then I felt comfortable that there are plenty online, so I will never be without one.  I have her picture on mugs, her name and a charm on my necklace I always wear and hold close to my heart.  I am determined....never to let her fade away and be insignificant...  Dali is my life and always will be.  It is so sad to be without her, yet I thank God for every day I had with her.  Hugs to you all from me and Dali

Dali, as much a daughter as any human...  pure love
Until we meet again

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/DALI003/Resident.htm

Quote 0 0
patent123
Forgetting things is incredibly scary and saddening. However, its nice to know I am not alone in my feelings.  

Our local Humane Society has an annual bark in the park.  When my daughter was one I took her and we had the chance to get a family photo done as part of the activities.  We did it and again the following year.  I really enjoyed 1 having a family photo and 2 seeing how we all changed year to year.  Its amazing in the first photo my girl looks big, young, and full of life! In the next year photo my girl looks smaller, her eyes look less lively, and she looks incredibly old. Its crazy how much she clearly changed in a years time.  I noticed her slowing down but I failed to see the physical changes in her appearance and such.  Its scary when you look at the two photos it looks like years could have passed between the times they were taken.

Last night it hit me that my girl wasn't that young pup that I thought she still was.  I had a moment and I broke down.  A month or so after my girl passed my Mother got my daughter another dog...it was an attempt to get rid of her sadness she was feeling after losing her best friend.  I have failed miserable to develop ANY sort of friendship with our new dog.  When I realized I wasn't treating him fairly I felt horrible.  I felt bad that my sadness was holding me back from appreciating him and giving him that extra belly rub that he probably really longed for.  As I sat bawling feeling horrible our new dog came over laid down next to me and laid his head across my chest and would occasionally kiss away my tears.  It was as if he knew I was sad, knew I wasn't intentionally ignoring him all this time it just happened because I was sad.  I feel like I'm coming to terms with the lose of my girl and hopefully soon I will be able to love our new dog just as much as I did her.  The friendship will be different but I hope the love is still the same. 

I know you both feel the same way missing Coco & London.  I know we will all remember our special friends because they were so important in our life.  I guess we just have to remind our selves in moments of forgetfulness that they did live, they were our other half, and in time we will see them again.  I have to remind myself that a friendship as important as ours can't just be erased.  
Quote 0 0
patent123
Dalidog wrote:
I think we all have this fear.  When my Dali left, I started writing about her life, from how I got her until the day she left.  I still write down memories and special thngs about her.  I keep a piece of her hair in a bag and touch it and stroke it.  Her pictures are all on my shelf, I have been unable to bring myself to put them in a memory book yet, although I bought one for her.  I keep a picture on my nightstand, pictures on the wall, the shelf, in my car, and I never travel without one in my purse.  I dont' think I will ever forget anything about her, I make sure I keep that close.  It would be horrible to forget.  I write to her daily, sing to her, call for her, and wait for the day we are together again.  It will be 4 months on the 27th since she left.  I have a hard time now remembering what it was like to be so carefree and happy.  Life is different now.  One night I woke up in panic that the house would burn down and I would lose all her pictures!  I got up and put one in my fireproof safe.  But then I felt comfortable that there are plenty online, so I will never be without one.  I have her picture on mugs, her name and a charm on my necklace I always wear and hold close to my heart.  I am determined....never to let her fade away and be insignificant...  Dali is my life and always will be.  It is so sad to be without her, yet I thank God for every day I had with her.  Hugs to you all from me and Dali

I can really relate to how you feel about photos and such.  90% of my photos of my girl are on a phone that I no longer use.  I have to find a way to get them off of it because the thought of losing them is horrible! I do have them online but its just not the same.  After my girl passed I made a photo book on http://www.shutterfly.com for my daughter.  It has their very first photo all the way to their last one together. I made sure to chronicle their major moments together so I could always remember as well as my daughter for when shes older. Like you I am heartbroken that my very best friend is gone and that I had to be the one to make that choice...however I know my extreme sadness is a clear sign that the life we shared was special so I wouldn't change anything! 
Quote 0 0
Leahbeahis
I'm sure we all have this fear. We were used to bring with our babies day in and day out and now our lives are different in so many ways. Whenever I remember something about Lucy, I try and write it in my journal. It's inevitable to forget some things, but you can preserve the majority of your baby's mannerisms and personality characteristics through pictures, videos, favorite toys, etc. you aren't alone. We are all sad that we won't see hairs everywhere or hear our baby playing, or their bark/meow/sounds, or the way they cuddled with us, or look at us with those beautiful eyes. Unfortunately for me, the way I get through each day is to try not to think about my loss. I try to think of the good times with Lucy, but most of the time the pain is too much for me to handle. I guess I sort of let my mind go numb so I can function and get by. Don't worry, you won't forget the important things, as they had such an impact on your life.
~ Leah
Quote 0 0
foolofatook819
I find myself having this same fear too.  I miss Bo a lot this morning and I'm worried I'm gonna forget what her feathers felt like, her cute little noises, and the way she used to spray water on my face when I would get close to her taking a bath.  Thank you Leahbeahis though, you are right.  We won't forget the important things, like how happy she always made me feel and how she could make me laugh when I was sad!  :)
The creatures who brought so much joy into our lives would not want us to be sad as we journey on, for we shall meet again.

Please visit Hobo Jo's Memorial at:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/HOBOJ002/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
tramseyer
Dalidog wrote:
I think we all have this fear.  When my Dali left, I started writing about her life, from how I got her until the day she left.  I still write down memories and special thngs about her.  I keep a piece of her hair in a bag and touch it and stroke it.  ....

I didn't realize until I read this - I didn't even think about getting a piece of Heidi's hair. I have no hair from any of my furbabies. 

Several years ago, Mom bought me an ornament maker, one of those that you mix the plaster of paris, have the dog step on it, and then let it dry.  I never fixed it with Heidi.  I thought about it during her last week or so, and couldn't do it. It is SO HARD doing the things that are SO FINAL. 

Now I feel awful about it. Forgive me, sweet girl, please, again.  

Love you, 
Mommy
Quote 0 0
tramseyer
patent123 wrote:
... 90% of my photos of my girl are on a phone that I no longer use.  I have to find a way to get them off of it because the thought of losing them is horrible! I do have them online but its just not the same.

Something I might suggest - can you take that phone and email those photos to yourself and/or your current phone?  That's what I learned to do, especially after I was on a job and the screen on my last phone died suddenly. I had photos on there from when I brought her home from the groomers and we stopped at Sonic for a vanilla dish of ice cream, her favorite treat.  Whenever we were out and about, we stopped for vanilla ice cream, whether at McDonald's or Sonic, and I'd often bring some home to her, or Dad would dish her up some with ours.  After a vet visit, ice cream was a MUST. 

I lost those photos. But I remember taking them. 

There's a plastic thing of Sonic vanilla ice cream of hers on the freezer door - I think it's going to be there a long time. 

Theresa 
Quote 0 0
patent123
I never heard of someone taking a plaster print of their pets paw until this forum.  I wish I had heard or thought of it before my girl passed.  I would have LOVED to have had it but I also think doing things so FINAL like you said would be so hard.  The only thing I have of my girls is her collar...of course I have her cage and blanket but her collar is really special to me I have it around her box that holds her ashes.  

I am going to try and use my works Wifi to send my old photos to me... I hope it works my old phone is a piece of junk so we shall see.  I wish I had taken more photos of us early on after I first adopted her...I only have a few.  Of course as technology advanced and phones became a must have I started snapping more and more photos.  
Quote 0 0
jaschutz
When we put our first dog down, our vet actually did the plaster footprint for us. It was really special and we still have it hanging in our kitchen. Unfortunately, with London I never got the chance to do so. Since I didn't have the opportunity to do the footprint, I found a shadow box online where you can put a picture of your dog in it as well as keepsakes of theirs in each of the compartments. We have London's nametag, her leash, and a bandana she wore in my engagement photos. We now have it in our kitchen as well. After London passed, I tried looking to see if we had any pictures of her as a puppy. I have one of her on my phone but no other ones of her when she was younger. As she got older, and I had a phone on me at all times, I obviously captured more pictures of her. I only wish I had more pictures of her from when she was younger.
Jamie

You can visit London's memorial at:
http://RainbowsBridge.com/residents/LONDO001/Resident.htm
Quote 0 0
patent123
jaschutz wrote:
When we put our first dog down, our vet actually did the plaster footprint for us. It was really special and we still have it hanging in our kitchen. Unfortunately, with London I never got the chance to do so. Since I didn't have the opportunity to do the footprint, I found a shadow box online where you can put a picture of your dog in it as well as keepsakes of theirs in each of the compartments. We have London's nametag, her leash, and a bandana she wore in my engagement photos. We now have it in our kitchen as well. After London passed, I tried looking to see if we had any pictures of her as a puppy. I have one of her on my phone but no other ones of her when she was younger. As she got older, and I had a phone on me at all times, I obviously captured more pictures of her. I only wish I had more pictures of her from when she was younger.

I thought of doing a shadow box as well its a beautiful way to display their things. She wasn't much into toys as she aged but I do have her special blanket/leash.  I wish I had her collar still that she had on when I adopted her....little things like this I wish I still had. Our vet didn't or doesn't do the footprints but I will say they went out of their way to get me a beautiful box for my girls ashes...it was nicer then anyone I had hoped to get.  I figured I would get a tin box like everyone else but I got a beautiful wooden box with flowers carved all over it.

Its sad that they grow up so fast your really have limited time to capture cute puppy moments.  I was told my girl was one when I adopted her so she was pretty much grown but looking back she was so young! I think I will try that shadow box idea...I just need to think of a fitting way to display things. 
Quote 0 0