animal_qwackers
For those of you who have come to know me via this forum, you will know that I have spoken more often of the two wondrous fur babies I lost last year, Solly and Gonzo.

This post is dedicated to another special fur baby I lost 27 months ago to the day. Cakil Daisy-Mae, or simply Daisy or, as I affectionately called her, Daidy Dollop.

Daisy was a stunning British Blue, whom I acquired when she was two years old. Her owner had to part with her, her daughter Emma, and two other cats as a result of her mother and father having to reside with her through her mother's ill health. Unfortunately, the old lady was also allergic to cats. I purchased Daisy via an advert in the local rag shortly after I was suffering the devastating grief of losing my own mother due to prolonged illness.

I also purchased Daisy's daughter, Emma as a gift for my sister, another cat lover. Daisy came to my home and took up her place alongside three other cats, Tigger, Jerry, and Ebony.

Daisy was a character. She was incredibly affectionate, but ruthless. She loved being petted and touched, but only on her terms, and could be the meanest bundle of fur on four legs. Being a British Blue, she was prone to obesity, and within a few months she had ballooned to a feline of staggering proportions. She spent most of her time indoors, and when she did go outside it was only to explore the garden. She never went far. She had an endearing habit of picking up anything she found on the floor, holding the object in her teeth as if she were holding a kitten by its scruff then walking round emitting the most weird sound I can only describe as a cross between a meow and a yelp. She would regularly reduce me to fits of giggles with her cookie antics. If she was being petted and I walked away from her, she would hit me with her paw. That was her way of giving me a dressing down, telling me how dare I walk away from her and hey, she wanted more strokes and cuddles. She loathed having her claws cut, being groomed, and going to the vet. On one occasion, she scratched the vet from the tip of her index finger up to her elbow. The vet quipped that I had a tiger cub for a pet, not a British Blue cat. Her adorable face belied her ferocious nature.

Despite her unpredictable nature, Daisy stayed with me. When I found Gonzo as a stray, she took an instant dislike to him, hissing and spitting whenever he came near. She had never hit it off with the other cats in the household either. Gonzo took advantage of Queen Daisy's animosity towards him, and picked on her mercilessly. He would lie in wait and jump on her back, biting the nape of her neck. He would chase her although there wasn't any competition. He was far quicker on his feet as he could spend many hours outdoors before depleting his abundant energy. Daisy was a feline whose idea of exercise meant stuffing her face with as much food as possible. I named them the gruesome twosome.

Over the months, Daisy and Gonzo developed an understanding, although Mr Mischief Gonzo still had his digs at her. I lost Tigger, Jerry, and Ebony, and bought Solly not long after Ebony died in September 2003. Solly loved Daisy and Gonzo. He was wary of Daisy due to her feisty disposition. She would lie on his back, or next to him on his bed. The only time she would back off was when she tried to nab one of his treats. He would growl and show her who was boss. He did the same to Gonzo. However, the three of them had a wonderful relationship. It was a pleasure and a privilege to be part of their lives.

I don't wish to relive the days before Daisy's death, as it still pains me to think about it. All I will say is she developed thyroid problems and shrank from a whopping cat who resembled Garfield in size, to a furbag of skin and bone. She had been misdiagnosed by one vet and, when the correct diagnosis was given, it was too late. Eventually, I had to do what I had to do. I was not with her completely at the end. I took her to the vet with a friend and sobbed all the way there. I was in bits while waiting for the vet to do the necessary and, when the time came, I could not bear to go into the little room with her. I said farewell to her and told her I loved her and always would. I did actually go in after she had been put under. I caught the last 10 seconds or so of her life. The pain was unbearable; when I think about it, the pain still is. 

I had Daisy cremated and her ashes are in a beautiful casket with a pink flower and a wonderful brass plaque. She was 14 years, 5 months and 4 days old when she passed. I loved Daisy so much, I always will. She had so many wonderful quirks, so much love inside her. She was a terror at times, but oh, what a terror! 

Daisy, you were, are, and always will be a cat of a thousand moods. I love you, my beautiful girl. Forever!

Scan-121019-0003.jpg 

Scan-121019-0012.jpg 

Scan-121019-0013.jpg 

Scan-121019-0011.jpg 

Scan-121019-0007.jpg 

IMG_0019.JPG 
CAKIL DAISY-MAE –
14th May 1998-18th October 2012

“Death ends a life, not a relationship.” – Jack Lemmon

Solly, Gonzo, Daisy-Mae, Ebony, Jerry, Tigger, Bonnie, Suzy, Cleo, Spike, Sooty, and Tibby – dazzling lights that will never fade. Adored, cherished, I was privileged to know you all. Until we meet again, my beautiful babies. Bowls of love and cuddles, your ever-loving, devoted Mummy xxxxxxxxxx

Quote 0 0
ahartofilis
Hello Wendy, Daisy was beautiful! I had a cat named Missy that reminds me so much of Daisy. She was a tabby that I took off the hands of her neglectful owner. She was always pretty healthy until the last year of her life when she also developed a thyroid condition. I remember watching my sweet tabby turn into skin and bones and there is really nothing that could be done about it. She just metabolized her food too quickly. I had her on some kind of thyroid medication for a while. It didn't do much. She lived to about 16 and had a good life with me. She really was one of my favorites, a little love and I think that she always knew that I took her out of a bad situation. When I had her euthanized my feelings were very similar to yours. I felt so badly for her. This was around the time that I got Coco. But you're post brings her back to me again. Thanks, as now I can remember her with love and mostly good feelings. Daisy, a cat of a thousand moods, was a beauty. She will never forget you!!......Sincerely Andrea
Quote 0 0
Beesmom123
Hi Wendy
Loved to hear your reminisces of Daisy, so sorry for your loss. You have suffered far too many in such a short time
Daisy is such a beauty and she sounds like such a character I would have loved to have known her!

I can understand the difficulty of reliving the days before she passed
Byron suffered from hyperthyroidism and it is a terrible disease. It affects so many organs. Even with medication it is very hard to control
The only real cure is radioactive iodine therapy, which also has its risks and is not an option for all cats. I chose not to do it because he had a heart murmur and was very fearful of people other than me, trips to the vet which the poor dear, had many during his life were a torment for him
I could not put him through 7-10 days of isolation in a strange place away from me I don't think he would have survived it but of course one has doubts about the choices we make, in hindsight

I admire you very much for being able to step back and focus on your many wonderful memories.
I hope in time I can be calm and focused enough to do so , I still have moments where I have a hard time accepting my boy is gone forever
Tuesday is 12 weeks since he left. I so dred Monday nights and Tuesday's now. Even the days of the week have dark connotations now..

You take care and be comforted by the love you shared with your darling girl. :)
Sending warmest wishes

Diana

Bee- "Good night sweet prince & flights of angels see thee to thy rest"
Quote 0 0
animal_qwackers
Andrea, and Diana, I would like to thank you deeply for your replies to my post about Daisy. She is a beautiful girl, such a little (big) stunner.

Her illness was something I didn't understand and being misdiagnosed certainly didn't help. I often think I should have read the signs earlier, still beat myself up over it, but hindsight is a wonderful thing. I know that Daisy had an exceptionally happy life with me up until she became really ill. I am not a vet and rely on their expert advice, but I was told to change her diet initially and that is what I did. Eventually, Daisy was eating everything in sight. I couldn't fill her up and by the time she went to the vet for the last time, her organs were shot. I have gone through so many what ifs, maybes, should haves, could haves. I still get distressed when I dwell on it and obviously try not to. She was a happy cat for the best part of her life. I always try to focus on that. I am sure you will see from her photos that she was content, and always loved.

I have suffered too many losses in such a short time, Diana. In less than two years, I have said farewell to three of my beloved friends. It's a bitter pill to swallow. However, I know that I was privileged to have those beautiful fur babies at all, and their unconditional love has taught me much. I am so sorry about Byron. He really is a gorgeous boy. 

I am happy that my post brings memories of Missy back to you, Andrea. She sounds so sweet, so adorable. 

Thank you both once again for the warmth of your comments. I am sincerely grateful that you have took the time to respond during your own time of grief.

With hugs to you both, with cuddles to Coco and Byron from me and my mine.

Wendy

“Death ends a life, not a relationship.” – Jack Lemmon

Solly, Gonzo, Daisy-Mae, Ebony, Jerry, Tigger, Bonnie, Suzy, Cleo, Spike, Sooty, and Tibby – dazzling lights that will never fade. Adored, cherished, I was privileged to know you all. Until we meet again, my beautiful babies. Bowls of love and cuddles, your ever-loving, devoted Mummy xxxxxxxxxx

Quote 0 0
Beesmom123
Thank-you Wendy
I really appreciate your kind words, Byron truly was a gorgeous boy inside and out, I'll never meet his like again. It was the greatest honor to have shared his life and I am a better person for it.
I understand what you are saying about the what ifs , I am tormented by them and for some reason it's getting worse 3 months in , not better
Maybe because the shock has worn off and I'm left with the stark reality.

But I too know that he had a very happy and carefree life up until illness took over, like your Daisy...and yes she certainly looks the absolute picture of contentment , enjoying all the love you obviously gave her .
Thanks again your sharing your memories and for your support, I really do appreciate it . I have family and friends that love their 'pets' but they simply can't understand the kind of bond I have with my B.

Best wishes for peace and healing,

Diana

Bee- "Good night sweet prince & flights of angels see thee to thy rest"
Quote 0 0