Memories_of_Marmalade

"A Street Cat Named Bob" movie from the UK

I had never heard of this film before until just a few weeks ago. It is based on a true story. An orange tabby cat is befriended by a homeless man and together they enhance each other's life (sound familiar?!) As some here will recall I was befriended by an orange tabby I named "Marmalade" during a very difficult time in my life. We both ended up on the street together. Some of our story is posted here on this forum.

I wept when I watched this scene linked below from the movie, it so reminded me of my Marmalade. The good news is it has a happy ending and "Bob" is still alive and well and living with his adopted Father (who was a drug addict prior to Bob inspiring and saving him.) The man's book about him and Bob became a bestseller.

Evidently I am not the only one who was homeless, broken and inspired by an orange tabby cat!:

Quote 0 0
Gingers_Mommy
Yes I watched this movie a few days ago and of course cried the minute Bob came I to the screen and on various times during the film. Very thankful for it's happy ending.
Quote 0 0
Becky1990
Thank you for sharing this with us! My very first cat back in the early 90's was a orange tabby. I grew up with dogs but my husband insisted on a cat. "Bigwig" changed my life. Orange cats will always have a special place in my heart! Most of our rescues ended up being a tuxedo like your Kid. Loved the ending on this one.
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Hi Becky,

I like that name "Bigwig." : )  I didn't know that Tuxedo cats are supposedly "magic" and very, very smart. KID fits that bill to a tee. 

: )
Quote 0 0
Becky1990
Hello James,
My husband was reading a fantasy fiction book at that time called "Watership Down" when he named Bigwig. He was the leader of a rabbit colony in that book. I still have that book after all these years and just noticed there is a movie out on fire stick about it!
Yes, tuxedo cats are curious trouble makers lol. I have a 3 yr old tuxedo male now named Toby. He keeps me on my toes and I know Kid is doing the same for you! Yes they are very very smart!! I know Marmalade sent him to you. He knew Kid needed you and you needed him. Keep us posted on his antics! 😸
Quote 0 0
jerigraehl
Great movie! Jeri
jerigraehl
Quote 0 0
MichelleKinkaid
A friend of mine told me about this movie a couple years ago but I haven't yet watched it. It sounds wonderful and I will make a point to watch it. I'm feeling so very sad that it's Christmas and my Rocky is not here with me. This is the first time since I was a small child that there has not been a pet in my house ... it's so quiet and lonely. I sure miss my sweet little boy cat ... he would just light up my life. My heart is sad and broken.
Michelle Kinkaid
Quote 0 0
Leathur
Diego and I often watched this film together - as you can see here:

Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Hi Michelle,

Happy Holidays despite the circumstances sweetie. Me too. I feel the same way. I've been very, very sad missing my boy Marmalade. I think I mentioned here on the forum that last year at this time, I would sing him Christmas Carol's as he sat on my lap and he would give me these contented looks back. Blink, blink. As he was nearly completely deaf, I think he could feel the singing through my legs. Perhaps he thought it was my way of purring. I don't know. I thought then that that might be my last Christmas with him. I'm so grateful that Marmalade and my paths crossed, as you well know, like yours and your Rocky, but like you, I miss my orange boy so, so much.

XOXO

Kind regards,
James

Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Dear Leathur,

That's wonderful that your boy "Diego" was a TV watcher. I have never had a cat that watched Television until my recent rescue kitten adoption "KID". I have written about him here on the forum as you may have seen. Lately I have been showing him animated cartoons. KID seems to really enjoy them and appears quite riveted at times. Lol. He will give me these wide-eyed looks like "What is that!" and then go back to watching. He watched a bit of "The Aristrocats", "Pocahantas", "Pinocchio" and "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." Talk about being cute! He also seems to like the old Bugs Bunny / Warner Bros. cartoons. 

Happy Holidays and thank you for sharing a Diego story. I'm glad I know about him and honor his memory.

XOXO,
James
Quote 0 0
Memories_of_Marmalade

Hi Becky,

Watership Down, yes I know of the book! Never read it but think I saw the film version when it came out back in the day. Was very moving. What a good book to take a cat name from! Well done!

Yes, KID is such a character. He's really growing into himself. I work with him daily through talking, playing, sharing etc. He's so smart. Suprising how mild mannered, kind and cooperative he is. I use hand-signals with him at times, and he seems to know what I am meaning. He will blink back at me as if to say "I understand." I was so blessed that he came into my life when he did. I still become very blue at times each day and night and then KID will paraglide or something past me and make a silly face. Which cheers me up. Lol.

Have a Happy Holiday and thanks for your comment.

XOXO,
James
Quote 0 0
Becky1990
Hello James,
Had to watch "Street Bob" again before I responded!
I am so glad Kid came into your life when he did. I too am grateful that I have Toby as well. Now that Shemp has passed away, my 18 year old Gypsy is in the "mild" stages of kidney failure just like my Shemp. I am grateful to have had them both for so long!! But like you, I go into a deep depression missing him and knowing the time with her is getting limited.
Thank God we have our Kid and Toby now!
Toby is the first cat to tear out my back screen porch to get out. So like Shemp, out during the day and in at night! He is such a loving and playful cat. I got him at 6 mos and he is almost 4 years old now.
I still light a candle every Thursday for Shemp. He passed on 9/5 which is Freddie Mercury's birthday and you know how he loved cats! He is taking good care of him and Marmalade till we meet them again.
I hope you have a good holiday as well and a prosperous New Year. Here is a picture of my Toby finally resting in bed lol. Take care my friend. XOXO
Quote 0 0
Gucci
Hello everyone - That movie is great! I read about him years ago, borrowed the book from the library, and then watched the movie when it came out. It was very moving indeed, and Bob just has this ineffable 'centredness' about him that is very striking.

I was also very moved by his description of finally kicking his drug habit - his deliberate, orchestrated strategy, and Bob's silent witnessing of it all. How that man's life has changed! 

I hope you all found moments of gratitude and peace over the holidays. I miss my dear cat Sammi so strongly at times. It's been almost 3 months since we lost him, and I'm still swept under by wave of grief and longing. I fully understand that you don't ever 'get over' this sort of loss; you simply learn to live with it, and you're able to focus more on other things over time. Those initial weeks when all I could think about was that Sammi was not here were torturous.

James - You must have resonated so much with the story of James Bowen and his beloved cat Bob, yet another amazing orange spirit! Two individuals who had suffered greatly met one another and provided mutual unconditional love and support. I'm sure it brought back bittersweet memories. I'm so glad you had Kid, with all his lovable antics and awareness, to soothe your heart.

Leathur - one of my cats years ago was an avid TV watcher, too. The rest of my cats were indifferent. Just like humans, they're all just so different in their personalities and temperaments and habits. Those who think cats in particular are not expressive really don't know how to pay attention!

Warmest regards and bests wishes to all as we close out 2019.

Quote 0 0