Baileysbro
1235177163-b0c17d77d2bd02714e35f1fdf52d246f.jpg 
Bailey
October 31, 2002 - April 19, 2016 10:25 P.M.
My best friend, my companion, my love

[e8de4bc1-77ae-4da2-9834-109b68b6cda8]

[Paws-for-the-News-Grieving-the-loss-of-a-pet] 
Quote 0 0
Oscarmeyer
Thank you for posting this. It is one of the hardest things we have to do
Quote 0 0
lizzie_252
Thank you for posting this.
Quote 0 0
Georgiapeaches
Thank you for posting this. This is the poem the vet left on my table with a candle next to it when she took Georgia away. It helped reading it right after Georgia was gone. I felt like the grim reaper that day even though it's the most peaceful passing for your companion. I just feel guilty about being the one who decides when it's time.
Quote 0 0
lizzie_252
I felt exactly the same way. After this experience, I think I will let my dog pass at home if she is not in pain. I don't believe I can know exactly when it is time to let my pets go and I am not sure if the vet knows enough to make that decision. After living through this experience with my kitty I don't trust so much the doctor's decision as far as the life of my animal goes.
Quote 0 0
Georgiapeaches
What did bring some relief though is that I had the euthanasia performed by a vet at our house and Georgia was already in her bed. We had it scheduled a day in advance because I was still hoping that Georgia would improve by then but if she was in too much pain she wouldn't have to wait too long. Unfortunately I did have to watch her struggle with pain a bit in the last hour while we waited for the vet to arrive and then I knew it was for the best. Watching her whole body finally relax and be pain free after the sedative ( they give it to them before the actual euthanasia shot ) was a peaceful way to say goodbye for me. The vet said when they're in the sedation state they can still hear and feel people's touch just no more pain. I wanted her to be in that state so much longer , she was snoring and looked so happy. I wanted her to wake up and be that happy once again but awake :(
Quote 0 0
elliemeewiz
Great poem I'm going to print this for my father and myself.. he always says we did them in after we let them go but I think it is releasing them from pain in most cases. Lizzie what happened with your cat? 

Georgia peaches I'm so sorry for your loss, and everyone's loss here. I also wanted to have a traveling dvm come to the home but I didn't have time even this time knowing in advance it could happen to set it up. My dvm also mentioned about first giving them the valium sedation and then a huge dose of narcotic. I talked to Wiz but for some reason I didn't realize he was gone after the second dose. I just hope they don't feel pain when they get the narcotic or get scared etc. 

I know I did the right thing but still I have my fears and worries etc. I just wish I could've kept him with me forever. 
My beloved sweet Tess August 1999 - February 21 2001
My beloved loyal Byron March 1998 - April 28 2008
My sweet beloved girlie Angelina April 2001- September 2012
Me & my sweet beloved Wizberry forever 1998- April 21, 2016
My sweet beloved Snow Goddess Sybil girlie April 2001- May 11,2018
Quote 0 0
lizzie_252
Elliemeewiz, if you read my posts under "my beloved cat is gone"  it tells the story of my Zizi illness and how the vet mixed up the blood tests, looking at the blood test from a year ago and telling me everything was fine when the new blood test showed severe problems three weeks before my cat passed. She is a nice vet and errors happen, and she did apologize for it, but I can't help thinking that if the treatment had been started at the time when she was still eating, drinking and walking , the outcome could have been different and she could have still been here with me.  Then, to compound it, the vet was away for two days after I brought her to the clinic, and the other vet at the clinic told me she would not make it more than a few days at home and recommended euthanasia as she wasn't responding to fluids and antibiotics for two days.  I feel now I made that decision in an anguished state and didn't give my kitty enough time.
Next time I will follow what you, Georgiapeaches , did,  I will have the euthanasia scheduled to be done at home, after I know for sure there is not hope and my pet is in pain. I believe it will be also less traumatic for me and my pet.  And I will certainly take more time off from work before, if I am still working.
Zizi sudden decline took me by surprise but I will be more prepared when it is time for my little dog, Mitsy.
Thank you for your posts, it helps.

Liz
Zizi mom, 2002-2016

Quote 0 0