Dandog
Today is my first day to not have you outside my door step wagging your tail wanting me to pet you. You have been so faithful to our family. The first time we all laid our eyes on you we loved you. And then yesterday it broke all our hearts when we had to let you go. My dog had a tumor on his left leg and was getting very hard of hearing. He was 13 and a half years old. He mainly belonged to my dad. Whom passed away about three years ago with cancer. My mom was backing out slowly looking for Dan. She looked and backed up more and more but he was on the passenger side up under the wheel. He was still alive after she hit him. It was terrible. She screamed and cried as if she got hit by the car as well. We rushed Dan to the vet. And the vet said all there was left to do was to put Dan to sleep cause where it was broken was the femur on his good back leg.She was gonna have to pin it but was not sure if he would make it through the surgery. She said his tumor had lots of lots of blood in it and was cancerous and more than likely he had cancer in several other places of the body. She said he basically commented suicuide. That dogs his age do it all the time especially when they have cancer. I cried all day yesterday and cried myself to sleep last night. It felt like i lost my dad all over again. Strange i know. But this dog meant the world to my family. Everyone knew how much he was loved by us and how much he loved us. My mom feels terrible and i wish there was something i could do to help.
Quote 0 0
Dalidog
So sorry for your loss Dandog.  It isn't strange at all.  The love we get from those furbabies is unconditional, nonjudgmental, and knows no bounds.  They are there for us through good and bad, never asking for anything except food, water, and love.  People should learn a lesson from this.  Your furangel is homewith his home with your Dad now.....healthy, happy, and watching over you.  I can just imagine their reunion.   I hope your Mom is doing okay.  It will be hard on all of you.  It doesn't get any easier because they leave a hole in our hearts.  Grieve and cry and never think it is strange or odd.  They are not "just dogs", they are family members and when they leave it can be just as hard as a human family member leaving.  Honor your furangel, thank them, and tell them how important they will always be.  Never forget them.  Beautiful picture of your baby.   Hugs to you and your furangel from me and Dali

Dali, as much a daughter as any human...  pure love
Until we meet again

http://rainbowsbridge.com/residents/DALI003/Resident.htm

Quote 0 0
Manjack
I agree with Dalidog. None of us here in the forum finds your reaction strange. We know only too well the heartbreak of losing our animals and the devastation that it brings,
Personal experience also reinforces the vet's comment that he wanted to die. A friend had a dog that broke his chain and went off to die in the woods. My own dog would go outside to pee and the second he would finish he would practically run you down to get back in the house. A week before he died when I would let him out he would try to wander off in the snow and I would have to go get him and carry him back to the house. I believe they sense impending death and try to go off to do so ( like some of our human cultures).
I hope your mom will be ok. sending thoughts and support your way.
Quote 0 0
Dandog
Thank you for your kind words. dalidog. I actually had a bunch more pics to download on this site.i thought they did? But it only downloaded that one. Also manjack, do you believe that he knew he was going to die and thats why he didn't get of out of the way like he always did?
Quote 0 0
Manjack
I have heard from a number of people that they also believe their animals were preparing themselves for death. I personally believe that my dog knew his time had come and his behaviour was certainly not typical.
I will admit that I don't know a whole lot about animal behaviour but when my mother was dying all her senses were heightened. Her hearing for example became very acute. The nurse explained that just before death endorphins are released in the brain. We are all animals. Perhaps something happens in the brains of our pets or perhaps it is instinct. That is the long way around to answer your question. I think yes, he knew.
Your vet deals with sick and dying animals on a daily basis. If she thinks this is what happened then she has the experience and knowledge of animal behaviour to support her theory. I would accept her reasoning.
I love the picture.
My thoughts are with you.
Quote 0 0
EllaMom
I agree.  After she got cancer, my Ella would go outside and wedge herself into tight spaces, once into a hole we had dug for an electric line.  She seemed to want to just hide away until her time.

I think that animals don't fear death; they're much braver than we are.  Someone told me--or maybe I read it here--that dogs know what's on the other side.  I hope that's comforting to you to think that Dan Dog was ready, even excited, for what comes next.
Quote 0 0
Dandog
Manjack, yes I do accept her thory. My mom on the other hand does not. She just thinks she shouldve payed more close attention. Oh and ellamom wow that did give me more comfort! I have never thought of them knowing what was gonna be on the other side. Maybe he knew my dad was there waiting on him? Thank you all for your help with my situation.
Quote 0 0