Forum

Author   Comment  

Reply with quote  #1 
Has anyone ever heard or dealt with this syndrome? My Henry was diagnosed with lung cancer that had mestasized from his pancreas. About a month after the 'bad news' ...I noticed black in 2 of his digit beds on the weightbearing(front digits)...one on each paw. Needless to say I was horrified. Looking closer I seen the black were actually masses that were quite large. One looked as if it had been bleeding. At first I assumed it was just some kind of bacterial infection but the fact that both front paws were affected made it very suspicious.
I immediately went on google and read about feline lung digit syndrome which I had never heard of in my life. I was devastated to learn that it meant the cancer had now spread to his paws. A few days later two more digits had the same thing. Took him back to his vet who declared it was indeed this horrible syndrome. At that point his prognosis was even worse timewise speaking. The vet said that if it had made it to his nailbeds then it was likly in his lymph nodes and muscles. Poor Henry. Why did this have to happen to him when in some cases it does not mestasize the vet informed me or at least not that quickly.
So I wondered if anyone was familiar with the cancer travelling to a cat's digits?
Sweet Henry passed away this week๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”๐Ÿ’”

Attached Images
jpeg 20190103_221846.jpg (209.10 KB, 7 views)

CK1991

Reply with quote  #2 
Unfortunately I have never heard of this but it sounds awful. Henry is a very handsome cat. The picture you posted of him is beautiful and he looks like he was very contented and happy. Iโ€™m so sorry for your loss. Hugs to you!
CK

Reply with quote  #3 
CK1991

Oh thankyou so much for your kind words.
Everyone loved Henry. He was such a gentle, friendly soul. He was a brave little boy who tried so hard to keep going. I miss him more than words can say, and the pain is beyond unbearable. The longing to have him back makes it hard to breathe at times.
Thankyou again.

CK1991

Reply with quote  #4 
155, I remember feeling like I couldnโ€™t breathe. The pain really is gut wrenching. Iโ€™m so sorry!
It will get easier as time goes on. I know it doesnโ€™t seem that way now. Now you are struggling to accept this overwhelming loss. I also remember worrying that I would forgetthings about my babies (two sweet little Shih Tzus) You will always remember all the love and the gifts Henry brought into your life. He will always keep his place in your heart. Hugs!
CK

Reply with quote  #5 
I'm sorry about your 2 babies. It's not fair that our pets are with us such a short time.
I was actually thinking the other day if I would forget how Henry looked or how he acted(not counting the pictures of course). It's just so hard๐Ÿ˜”
Yesterday I went out with my son to a few stores..he's been trying to get me distracted but all I could think of was Henry. He said I was like a zombie.

But yes I know time is the great healer so have to hold onto that.
Thankyou for your words.
Hugs to you!

nosunshine36

Reply with quote  #6 
I might suggest writing down all the things you loved about Henry and keeping them altogether so that you wonโ€™t worry about ever forgetting. It will take time for healing to come. Itโ€™s important to mourn as much as you need to so that your heart can heal, but youโ€™ll never forget Henry!
My deepest sympathy
Sharon

Reply with quote  #7 
Hi Sharon, I surely will right all those things down. I know in my mind that time is the great healer but in my heart that concept is still hard to imagine.
It's been close to 3 weeks and days are a bit better but mostly despair remains.
I appreciate your words a lot.
Thankyou so very much.
Will_Never_Forgive_Myself

Reply with quote  #8 
Hi Carol, Aww, look at sweet little Henry. It's so unfair. He was a baby. Where were the guardian angels? I thought they help keep us from harm. I hope you continue to get more signs from Henry. It will ease your mind he's still with you. I wish I had the power to bring him back, and all the fur babies on these posts. Why does life have to be so black and white with no magic in between? Only in the movies. I pray for you and Henry to meet someday in wherever a mystical place exists. Rainbow Bridge or some other magical place. ~ Tina

Reply with quote  #9 
Tina,
Thank you so much.
I also wish I had the power to bring back all the fur babies on this forum.
Yes Henry was a loyal little kitty always there to comfort and I sort of thought he would return to me in spirit. I find it a bittersweet experience . It's elating when I receive signs from him but at the same time somewhat sad because I wish he would could appear and stay forever.
I hope you get a sign from your dear little boy. I know you miss him more than anything on this earth.

Carol
Will_Never_Forgive_Myself

Reply with quote  #10 
Hi Carol,
I've been trying to find someone on this site whose cat had something similar to Henry. So far I didn't find anyone. I thought it might help for you to exchange information and try to understand the devastation of that disease. I was trying to understand about the cancer spreading to his digits. I read it's a rare condition. It doesn't seem they really know how they get it. I'm sorry he went through all of this. It must been painful for him. 

The world keeps going even as we lose our loved ones (pets or humans) and we're supposed just go on with the rest of the world. Not that easy. We have an active lively pet and a few days later they are gone. I will never understand. It's really a shame. So not right. When I was younger I remember most pets dying of old age. Maybe I'm wrong. If that was the case, how is it so many are coming down with these severe illnesses and rare conditions. Is it the food? The environment?  I wonder if the old foods didn't have chemicals or preservatives and other junk.  

To our little boys, Henry and Parker. Love and miss them both.

Tina

Reply with quote  #11 
Thanks Tina.
They say for the cancer to spread to their digits is quite rare. In my life I had never heard of feline lung syndrome. When I first spotted his one nail turning black and mass-like I thought it was some severe nail infection but I took to Google and came across it. Then it began appearing on other nails and they started to bleed a bit. I had to use styptic powder to stop the bleeding a few times.
Maybe the fact that he was a polydactyl had to do with the cancer going to his digits. I don't know.
When I was young I recall cats living much longer also unless of course they were struck by a car or whatever. Back then I don't remember there even being such a thing as indoor cats. Cats would usually only come inside to be fed or just stick around for a few days. They were more in their natural element back then roaming around clear and free and following all of their natural instincts of killing mice and birds and just typical cat behavior when they lived as they were meant to live.
As far as cancer I think it has to be the food. What else other than pure bad luck could it possibly be?
The chemicals and preservatives . The whole nine yards in today's food.
It is such a crying shame when our babies leave us and especially too soon.
Henry should have had at least 5 more years under his belt and your little Parker was taken much too soon.
They are our children, and nothing less.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.