Forum

Author   Comment  
Julieas1

Reply with quote  #1 
Thank you for accepting me to this group. Our cat Bo, whom we rescued from an neglectful owner in 12/16, has been through so much. He is only 6-7 yrs old but since he was basically living in a parking lot before we got him I think that he was exposed to a lot of toxins. When we took him in he was a big water drinker & he is now drinking & peeing more & more. His results are below. My vet whom I trust said that although his labs are normal, the BUN & creatine are on the high end of normal, & that coupled w a very dilute urine, gave us the diagnosis of early stages of kidney disease. I have always wanted to treat holistically if possible & I do not like the prescription food, bc it has “crap” in it. I also do not like the idea of reducing protein when cats need that to survive. That being said, I also want to do what is best for the our baby. I have read literature where the holistic thinking is to give normal to high amounts of protein to provide adequate blood flow to the kidneys, while at the same time reducing the phosphorus and the fat. What are your thoughts? Also what do you think about using a supplement that binds the phosphorus to the waste in order to eliminate it through the GI tract? Thank you so much for your time. We love our Bo so much & will do anything for him as long as he’s happy.
Tankie12

Reply with quote  #2 
You need to find a Vet who specializes in Chronic renal failure in felines and is familiar with the approach you wish to take. You can message me if you like. I do have a vet who’s very knowledgeable in renal disease but I’m in Fl. I don’t know, he may be able to guide you,

Reply with quote  #3 
I live in NJ. Is your vet practice holistic or integrated medicine?
Tankie12

Reply with quote  #4 
Acupunture for sure holistic I’ve heard him talk about. I have no idea what the other even is. He is from NY but I don’t know where he interned.

Reply with quote  #5 
You mentioned that he may be able to guide me...will you let me know if that’s a possibility? Thanks
Tankie12

Reply with quote  #6 
I’ll give you his business card # 855-MobileDoc
Have you googled specific for your vicinity? I can’t stress enough, I’m sure you know already, how important it is for you to find a tx plan. The kidneys do so much more than remove toxins. Thre role kidneys play involving other vital body functions are extremely compromised as well.
Wishing your kitty, and you, the best

Reply with quote  #7 
I am not an expert, but I have a cat who has renal disease and am trying to go the holistic route. He eats "normal" natural cat food, that is *relatively* low in phosphorus. You can find some information about lower phosphorus foods on Tanya's Guide, http://www.felinecrf.org/catfood_data_how_to_use.htm . He also gets boiled chicken with broth sometimes, which he loves. Plain broth is good for him along with lots of water.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.