CalliesMomma
I lost my beautiful girl, Callie, in August 2014 due to rapidly progressive cancer.  She was a 76 lb reddish colored Golden Retriever.  She was the love of a lifetime.  We were more than owner/pet, we were best friends.  We were together for 10 years.  She helped me weather some of the worst days of my life.   I miss her so much I don't know what to do.  Yesterday was my birthday, and thoughts of her were constant.  So much so, I had a hard time sleeping last night.  When I finally did sleep, I dreamed of her.  In my dream we ran and played like we often did.  We sat in the grass, and I poured out my heart to her.  All my problems, and stresses.  All I could think of was my joy that here she was, right in front of me.  I hugged her tight, and just ran my fingers through her fur, the way I used to, and just like always, she laid her head on my shoulder quietly and let me cry.  Of course, then I woke up, and then I really DID start to cry.  And mostly I've been crying all morning.  I just don't know when this will lessen.  My friends don't understand.  They say "yes, I lost a pet once, I know how you feel".  But they don't.  Callie was my Velcro girl.  We understood each other without words.  I guess I just decided to post to try to deal with some of this.  We have a new dog, and she's sweet and wonderful, but we don't have that bond.  I'm afraid we never will, though I'm trying hard and waiting until her "puppyness" is gone (she's 9 months old, a Golden Pyrenees).  Any thoughts would be appreciated from those of you going through something similar.  Thanks.  (Note: My husband is the "get a grip" type....just decide to move on.  I'm tired of hearing that..He just doesn't get it). 
Quote 0 0
Missingher
I lost my yellow lab to cancer in September. Like your Callie, Lucy was my constant. Sometimes just knowing she was there was all I needed. I still have days when I miss her like crazy and really long to feel her soft ears. Or just to tell her how much I love her. Other days I can just remember her and smile. And like yours, my husband has been able to move forward much easier. Lots of similarities! Hope it helps you to know that someone really does understand exactly how you feel. I wish you peace as you continue to heal.
Quote 0 0