Marleys_Mom Show full post »
Marleys_Mom

“As I process my grief, though, I try to see the decision to euthanize as loving my pup enough to let her go- freeing her from a life that no longer served her.” 

Thank you Mia Sara ....that’s a beautiful way of saying that I hope I can feel that as well in time that I freed her from a future of pain. Hazel was only 3....my heart is with you I can’t imagine I’m so truly sorry you went through that, you words have given me hope about the love growing stronger than death.

Michelle  

Quote 0 0
DDs_Mom_12
Dear Marley's Mom,

I am so sorry for the loss of your precious Marley.  What a beautiful picture of her!  You can see her soul in those eyes! 

You have come to the right place.  Each one of us is in pain having experienced a recent loss of a beloved companion animal.  My cat, DD, died unexpectedly on Saturday, July 11th after being fine the day before.  We rushed him to an emergency vet, but he could not be saved.  He was 12 years old, and we enjoyed him since he was a kitten.  Our house and hearts are now empty.  

Please, Please, do not feel any guilt!  You went above and beyond trying to help Marley.  Throughout the years, I have volunteered at various animal rescue groups.  I have seen animals dumped off by heartless people because of moving, new baby, no time, too old, etc.  So you see, you gave Marley a wonderful life and have nothing at all to feel guilty about.  It will take time, but your pain will be replaced with loving memories of your sweet girl.  To cope with my loss, I made a donation to the animal rescue group from which I adopted him.  

Peace and Comfort,

Sue 
Quote 1 0
Scooter_228
I read you post about the loss of your beautiful little baby girl Marley soon after you posted it. We are both going through the same thing right now. I really feel the intense pain that you are going through. I know Marley was only 11 years old; however, even if Marley was 16 years old it still would not have been enough time with her. I know that because I just lost my 16 + year old miniature dachshund Scooter (who happened to look a lot like Marley) and I wish he lived another year. Although intellectually I knew it was the right decision, the mind works in strange ways and has us go through the different stages of grief. Right now, like you, it feels like there is something missing and no balance in my life. We yearn to see, feel, touch and kiss them again. We miss taking care of them. We did for them everything that we would have done for any child of ours. We bathed them, fed them, clothed them, dressed them up for Halloween, took them shopping and took them to the park. We even took them to the doctor and to the hospital for their well baby visits and when they got sick. Right now I feel like I lost a family member. I am new to this group. Everyone here has such good advice, a lot of compassion and have experienced loss. Right now I do not have any advice for you. After losing nine dachshunds over many years and my childhood pal who was not a dachshund, I can't even give myself advice because this one is really different and difficult!  All I know now is that as much as I loved my Scooter and as much as I would want him with me now, I did not want for him to be in pain and suffer because of selfishness on my part. I am very sorry for your loss.
Scott Ryerson
Quote 1 0
Marleys_Mom
Sue You could totally see Marleys soul In her eyes she was more a people than pupper she was the funniest little turkey and had the biggest personality packed into 12lbs. I thought about volunteering at our local animal shelter to honor her and give back To animals in need. I’m so sorry to hear about DD how life jolting to lose him so unexpectedly my heart is with you as well 
Quote 0 0
Marleys_Mom

Scott I’m so sorry to hear about Scooter they are family members and they know nothing but love ...you have definitely come to the right place for 10 days I just read and read and read everyday over coffee crying and decided to sign up after I could keep it somewhat together and it was the best decision to make ,this community of loving pet parents and amazing souls have helped me more than words can ever say and they have said the kindest words to me, would you be comfortable posting a photo of Scooter I would just love to see a photo of him too 

Quote 1 0
Marleys_Mom

Saw this quote below how very true...to all of you struggling  — I think about the people on this beautiful forum that are hurting all the time now, my heart is with you all. 

Day 21 Marley Moose I love and miss you so very very much ❤️

It’s an odd thing grief. We fear it, dismiss it, try and avoid it, occasionally have brushes with it, and most often times without warning, it invites itself into our lives. No welcome mat but it comes nonetheless. – Anatomy of a Grieving Dog Mom

Quote 0 0
miasara

Marley mom,
Thanks for sharing. Today is exactly 5 months since my sweet Hazel died. Yes, time lessens the pain somewhat but I am still grieving. I used to take her everywhere with me and now I talk to her all the time when I am driving. I still turn to look for her in the backseat even though I know she’s not there. I will always have a sore spot in my heart for her. I have loved all my dogs but definitely had a special connection with this one. Life is just so much quieter without her. 

I hope you are all right tonight. Marley was very lucky to have you as a mama!

mia sara
Quote 0 0
Marleys_Mom

Mia Sara
 I can feel your love for Hazel in your words, 5 months I almost can’t imagine .....our lives sound so similar Marley was my one special girl too, as soon as she heard a hair dryer she was worried I’d be going out even if I wasn’t so she would bolt into my room and tap my leg with her paw so I’d kneel or sit cross legged on the carpet  to pet her while I dried my hair....the one sore arm was always worth the loving look she gave me back . She too loved car rides as well. I swear some days I can glance over in the car for a split second and still see her and the love in her eyes under the warm sun. The quiet is the hardest you are so very right there we have no idea exactly just how much life they fill up in a home until the quiet hits....that part is really really hard.

On our walks she always had those few “favorite” spots like a hedge or certain tree she insisted on stopping at (5 to be exact) and smelling them and I knew those were her pause moments , I see them now and try to smile but cry with my head down and try to dash back to house before anyone sees me, it feels like a lifetime since I’ve smooshed up against her cheeks with mine ,smelled her fur and smooched her little head but at the same time it feels like a split second ago feeling the pain of losing her hit me. 💔 everyday feels like my heart gets heavier. 

my thoughts are with you tonight too
-Michelle 

Quote 0 0
Deebee58
My beautiful staffy, Sassy went exactly the same way. She had a PLE and for months I struggled to get her to eat and actually retain some goodness from her foods. I even had a feeding tube fitted and would feed her low fat high protein food mixed with natural yoghurt and prawns but all to no avail. Eventually she was so weak she couldn't walk 3 or 4 steps without falling over. I was truly agonising about what was my best course of action when one afternoon she looked straight at me and was in such discomfort that it looked as if she was saying enough is enough Dad.
I made the gut wrenching choice there and then and it left me absolutely broken hearted and devastated.
Dont feel guilty because you have done all you could possibly do for her and in the end it was just her time. I lost my Sassy 16 months ago now and I still miss her so much and still break down in tears but only once maybe twice a week now rather than 8 or 9 times a day.
The pain does subside and I know right now it is easier said than done but just try to remember all the good and happy times you both shared.
D a bryce
Quote 0 0
Marleys_Mom
I’m so very sorry about your precious Sassy... you are first person I’ve had that has had to deal with the awful process of PLE, Thank you for your message we’ve doubted ourselves so much about making that heart wrenching decision and you just gave me insight on this. I had so many questions about this terrible disease, we just couldn’t understand how fast it came on. They had her on prednisone and metronidazole daily every 12 hours and it did absolutely nothing to change her low protein and low albumin. 4th week as you may have read she was also anemic he said that would cause bleeding ulcers so he gave her a stomach coating so eating wouldn’t hurt her as much ....He said this just didn’t “pop up” he state he figures it’s been on a while in the background and that suspected something more sinister was going on like cancer since none of her numbers changed at the weekly blood checks. 

we agonized about how we were going to get he to eat everyday and how much more damage the meds were going to cause her stomach and if it was hurting her  or her tummy bleeding. I read vet case studies and a lot of articles about this. Her case was in the poor prognosis since she had both PLE and hypoalbuminia. From what I understand there is no cure and they can manage if we could get her numbers up ....but after a month the same thing zero change in protein and albumin and she just looked at me the same way you just described. I feel like I’m going insane that I just can’t stop crying everyone thinks I have to move on...I just can’t get her face out of my head and my brain is stuck on a horrifying loop of her last moments. Thank you so much again for reaching out I haven’t been able to find anyone that’s dealt with PLE before I feel a little alone with this in the world now

-Michelle 
Quote 0 0
Dino_927
Marleys Mom, Mia Sara, Rose Blue, Pecan Mom, Grieving mama, and our dear James. My hearts out to all of you. I so totally agree that the final act of love with our fur babies is to put ourselves aside to  ease their suffering. And It is so hard to do. I am a doctor having practice 37 years, when I returned from a vacation our little adopted Maltese Dino developed red blotches first notice by our groomer. I missed the observation that his poop was black that AM and asked my wife if she fed him something differently.  She had not. 
We took him to out vet who said his platelets were ow. Platelets re part of our clotting system. At that moment he as stable  but continued to deteriorate over the next 5 days. We took him to our animal hospital where is was in their ICU for those days. He received chemotherapy, steroids and transfusions. He continued to bleed slowly . Finally they couldnt find any plates in his blood He was so tired. On the last day my wife and I sat with him in a room and he licked food and liquids from our fingers. But it was time. He had a condition called ITP. Idiopathic  (means we dont know where it came from  ) thrombocytopenia(low platelets) , purpura (re-purple blue blotches). It was time. I held him crying like a baby as the vet injected his IV. After the first shot, the tranquilizer I felt his little body relax. Then with the second he passed. We coudnt stop crying. I cried at home, cried at work, between patients, but couldnt continue my professional life. 4 months after his passing I decided to retired. I would come in the house and yell Deeeeee, (my pet name for him) he wasnt there. I would cry more. Finally Vicki, (my wife) said we need another fur baby. This was at the start of covid-19, and we went out, to find a fur baby, looking at pictures on line but could not find the one. We went to several pet farms and finally found a schizon, a mixture of a shizu and bischon. We bought him. He is now 7 months and has saved us. It was 6 months after Dinos passing. I was reluctant but was truly deteriorating as a professional and a human being. Vicki made the decision. Its not for everyone.But who says how long we must let our selves suffer. In my 68 yrs this is my 5th fur baby, and they have all taught me new lessons of life, love and strength. I do suggest that all of us if possible get pet insurance. Little Dinos bill was enormus being at the animal ICU, but where do you stop. At what price? When. This is individual and of course deeply personal.
  So to all my friends on this post I send love, condolences, wishes of  diminishing pain, and perhaps an optimism and hope for future  fur babies in our lives. Thank God for our Sophie our new little fur baby.

Quote 0 0
roseblue1
Dino will never be forgotten in your hearts as it is clear you loved and adored him... and there is always room for another fur baby and she is your Sophie and may you go on and have many happy years with her.

Ellen x
Ellen Hague
Quote 0 0