tazmoe
I've started to feel extreme guilt, but not necessarily based on the decision I made to put my Kona down. Instead I've started to reflect on how my Kona deserved a longer and perhaps better life. He was only 8 1/2 years old, and it pains me how he didn't get to live at least his average lifespan. I always wonder if he was truly happy and if he could talk; would he tell me I was a good owner? He gave me so much happiness, and I sometimes feel I didn't return the favor to him.

Does anyone else fell this way sometimes? If not, some advice and kind words would be appreciated. Thank you.
Quote 0 0
nosunshine36
I think the fact that you are asking this question shows how much you cared for Kona. Animals sense so much. I think I can confidently say that he felt very loved and enjoyed his life.
Grief seems to cause us to ask so many questions and even feel guilty over everything and anything but I think you can rest easy.
My sincere condolences on your loss.
Blessings,
Sharon
Quote 0 0
Tankie12
Sergio when we look behind us and think of all the things we wish we’d done they seem endless. I wish I’d taken her on more walks. Got down on the floor with her more often. Appreciated her more.
I think they love us for so much more than those things though. I believe they look at us with such love we can do no wrong. They don’t keep count of our faults, not like we do.
We can never repay the gift of their love, theirs is unconditional. We were the lucky ones, they are such a blessing.
As Sharon said, your concern shows your love, he felt that love always,,,,,
Lynn, Tankie’s mom, forever
Quote 0 0
KathyT
tazmoe wrote:
I've started to feel extreme guilt, but not necessarily based on the decision I made to put my Kona down. Instead I've started to reflect on how my Kona deserved a longer and perhaps better life. He was only 8 1/2 years old, and it pains me how he didn't get to live at least his average lifespan. I always wonder if he was truly happy and if he could talk; would he tell me I was a good owner? He gave me so much happiness, and I sometimes feel I didn't return the favor to him.

Does anyone else fell this way sometimes? If not, some advice and kind words would be appreciated. Thank you.
Quote 0 0
KathyT
Tazmoe, I understand how you feel. My Sassy has been gone for almost a month( Wednesday will be a month) and I feel like maybe I didn’t give her a good life and that’s why she is not here. I have question food choices tried to look back and think that maybe she would have lived longer if she had had a better human. I am angry that she only lived 8 short years she was born on May 2010 and left for the bridge on August 8 2018. You lived your baby and Kona loved you think of all the fun times you had and all the love you shared. I know is hard but I think of my Sassy and how stubborn and bossy she was. One day when she was mad at me because I had put Oliver( my sisters poodle) on my bed) she asked to go out and when she came back she had rolled in dirt and poop. And when I find the picture I will share it she came back in and gave me those Sassy eyes of “ what “. She lived up to her name Sassy my brat. Sorry I went for long but when I read your post I cried since I know that feeling but while typing and thinking what to say and with my Sassy memory I ended up smiling. Hugs and blessings to you. Be kind to yourself. 💕
Quote 0 0
Rookiesmama
Sergio,
I would agree that your Kona deserved a longer life, but not a better life. I know we don't actually know each other, but like nosunshine said, just the fact that you're asking the question shows how much you care and love you have for Kona. For me when I look back, I do sometimes feel bad about a missed walk due to my being tired, or coming home late, but overall, it's more anger at how short our time was: 7 years with me, just over 9 years overall. I had planned on so many more years, so many memories. Hugs❤
Quote 0 0
tazmoe
Yeah I just sometimes wonder if Kona could have talked; would he tell me I did a good job taking care of him? I like to think he would say I did a good job.😊
Quote 0 0
Mistysmama
If Kona gave you so much happiness, then I know for sure he would have felt the happiness he shared with you. You don't give happiness wthout sharing in it even when you're not a human.

They never expect us to be perfect. They just love us for who we are with all our faults and failings. They know they are loved back even if we're busy. Even if we don't get home until late because we commute....or any other life thing that gets in the way.

Blessings to him. I am so sorry for your loss and how much you must miss him.

He still loves you very much and knows you are and always will be a special Soul for him.
Hold the love like a little light. It is all you have, or will ever have, to find your way home.

Misty's Blog..a Dogfight with Cancer http://www.mistysblog69.blogspot.co.uk

Misty's life after death: http://www.dog2spirit.com
Quote 1 0